No announcement yet.
Collapse

Air Canada Frustration

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone has issues with the airlines, reach out to Gabor. He's helped many passengers who haven been wronged.

Find out what your flight rights are and how to enforce them. We are volunteers committed to helping you all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
      Might as well put my question here - has anyone successfully got compensation from AC regarding a cancelled flight?

My flight on Wednesday 3rd January got cancelled about 3 hours before I was due to fly back to Toronto from Dublin and we would be booked on a flight 24 hours later. The reservations person I spoke to said there was a “mechanical issue” and that’s why the flight was cancelled. This required another night’s stay in Dublin meaning missing a day of work, another night hotel stay, food, drink etc. (not that I was too sad about that ).

Does anyone have any idea how much I can claim for with regards to the cancellation?

And then the next day – we boarded eventually and sat on the runway for about 5 hours before the flight took off – doubtful I can claim something for that.

A bad end to what was a good trip.

edit: Because the flight was coming from Europe - this document looks like I can claim hotel costs, tranportation to and from the airport and 600 Euros per ticket - https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...otice_519_.pdf
      Just a follow up on this - my friend and his fiancee was on the same flights as me - and he got offered 2400 euros compensation - 1200 for the cancelled flight and 1200 for the 5 hour delay - plus a 25% discount off his next Air Canada flight.

Hoping for the same offer myself when they get around to my claim.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeytrain View Post
        If anyone has issues with the airlines, reach out to Gabor. He's helped many passengers who haven been wronged.

http://airpassengerrights.ca/en/
        Good call - I reached out to this group and Gabor was super helpful.

AC finally came through today with the full compensation amount - €2,530 or $3,800.

Happy days

Comment

I still don't get it. We were only "bumped" once for a few minutes but wound up getting on the same flight. The whole premise of over-booking bothers me. You have X number of seats and sell all X then so be it. If someone doesn't show up too bad for them. If that person doesn't show up maybe sell their ticket to a body who came to the airport last minute and give the refund. Or not. Over-booking is BS.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
            I still don't get it. We were only "bumped" once for a few minutes but wound up getting on the same flight. The whole premise of over-booking bothers me. You have X number of seats and sell all X then so be it. If someone doesn't show up too bad for them. If that person doesn't show up maybe sell their ticket to a body who came to the airport last minute and give the refund. Or not. Over-booking is BS.
            Agreed. However, the airlines who overbook want it both ways.

That is, if you don't show up for a flight, they will keep your money. However, rather than fly with an empty seat, they will re-sell it.

When this practice is applied generically, the airlines simply assume that a certain percentage of passengers won't show up (for a variety of reasons), therefore the airlines will plan to re-use those 'extra' seats. The problems arise when everyone shows up for the same flight.

Comment

Overbooking will continue unabated, because the federal government is very protective over the airlines. Maclean's sums it up here.

With that said, it may be a good stock to buy.

Comment

Overbooking also allows airlines to give lower prices. Something to consider if the practice were to get banned.

@IrishGuy - that's a pretty nice way for things to end!
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

Now to figure out where to blow that on golf equipment

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
                    Now to figure out where to blow that on golf equipment
                    Good plan, but make sure you use the code word "investing" if you're talking to your significant other.
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Delta airline gets some bad press too, but looks like they made the right call this time.

Susan Peirez, 53, has been placed on leave from her job with the New York State government after video surfaced of her yelling at a 19-year-old mother who was travelling with her 8-month old baby.
                      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Some changes to passengers rights were announced this morning

Canadian travellers who are bumped from a flight due to overbooking or are stuck searching for lost luggage could soon be eligible for several hundred dollars in compensation.

Canadian travellers who are bumped from a flight due to overbooking or face lost or damaged luggage could soon be eligible for several hundred dollars in compensation.

The Canadian Transportation Agency outlined a proposed regulatory regime with specific financial entitlements for travellers. Proposed regulations include:
                        • A requirement for airlines to provide clear communications about flight delays or cancellations with regular updates by email, text or other methods.
                        • Compensation for flight delays or cancellations, which will very depending on the circumstances and how much is in the control of the airline. For larger airlines, compensation can range from $400 for a delay of three to six hours, to $1,000 for a delay of more than nine hours. There will also be new standards of treatment, including supplying food and drink and providing means for electronic communications.
                        • Compensation for denied boarding that is a result of commercial decisions such as overbooking. That compensation will be $900 for circumstances that lead to a late arrival of up to six hours, $1,800 for arrivals of six to nine hours late, and $2,400 for late arrivals of more than nine hours.
                        • Compensation for lost or damaged baggage of up to $2,100.
                        • Clear policies for tarmac delays, including the provision of working washrooms, ventilation, food and drink and electronic communications for delays of three hours. After three years the aircraft must go back to the gate.

The compensation regime will be smaller amounts for smaller airlines that serve northern or remote communities.

The changes are expected to result in an average increase of about $2.75 per ticket, though it's not clear whether that will be passed on to the passenger.

The changes are comparable to the European compensation system, which is considered a global leader in passenger rights.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau officially unveiled the first version of the long-awaited air passenger bill of rights Monday morning. The details will be published in the Canada Gazette this week, and Canadians are being encouraged to submit comments.

Garneau made the announcement starting at 11 a.m. ET. He called it a "fair and balanced" approach.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X