Collapse

Jerry Howarth

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Howarth

Just heard on the radio (not The Fan) that Jerry Howarth has announced his retirement.

So many great memories and great times listening to Tom Cheek and Jerry. And of course the 2 most recent play-off runs.
    He will be missed.

I fear his health may not be good...hope I'm wrong.
    BIG MOY GOLF...POWERED BY SNICKERS
    Member Century Club...Osprey Valley May 20, 2010...108 holes
    There is no next year...signed Leaf fan

Comment

Makes me think of Friday night games on the radio heading to the cottage with my dad.
      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
      Srixon Star XV
      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

It's a shame. I hope it isn't because of his health but I suspect it is. He was great to listen to..."there she goes"

Comment

I love listening to baseball on the radio, and I've been listening to Jerry since he started with the Jays. It'll be tough to get used to the broadcast without him.

I wonder how this will affect the radio broadcast. Will Wilner become fulltime -- doing home AND road games? I'd rather see him do that than handle Jays Talk. (He's a decent broadcaster in the booth, but become arrogant and condescending on Jays Talk.)

Or is there a chance Shulman joins? There was some speculation that he might step into one of the booths far more often this year, possibly doing the entire home schedule, now that he's no longer committed to ESPN.

Comment

Jerry announced the decision on the Blair show this morning. He had Blair read the statement, because it was too emotional for him to do it, but the statement confirmed that he's retiring due to health and stamina issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
              I love listening to baseball on the radio, and I've been listening to Jerry since he started with the Jays. It'll be tough to get used to the broadcast without him.

I wonder how this will affect the radio broadcast. Will Wilner become fulltime -- doing home AND road games? I'd rather see him do that than handle Jays Talk. (He's a decent broadcaster in the booth, but become arrogant and condescending on Jays Talk.)

Or is there a chance Shulman joins? There was some speculation that he might step into one of the booths far more often this year, possibly doing the entire home schedule, now that he's no longer committed to ESPN.
              Well I believe that of the 'current' crop of MLB broadcasters that Shulman is the best.
              Only best wishes for Jerry and his health, and thanks for the great memories he has helped to provide.

Comment

The first time I Listened to Tom and Jerry on the radio would have been maybe the summer of 83 or 84 while on a summer term at Uof W. We were outside the house playing catch and a buddy brought out a radio so we could listen to the game. From pretty much that day onward i loved to listen to Tom and Jerry call the game and following the Jays on the radio became my preferred method even when watching the tv. through the great run mid 80's through the two WS championships it seemed the jays games were being played on radio wherever we were. Im not sure we will ever see /hear a tandem like Tom and Jerry again. Professional, intelligent and truly gentlemen of the game.

thanks Mr Howarth for the decades of enjoyment you gave us.
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I hope Shulman remains on TV. Wilner isn't great PBP, but he's fine. Shulman and Siddall would be my top TV team if I had a choice.

Comment

Sad about Jerry. He is the best. I agree that Wilner is good in the booth but not so good on Jays Talk. Shulman would be great but I think he would rather be on TV, but who knows.

Comment

You have to think they'll be adding Jerry's name to the Level of Excellence this year. If they can make room for him next to Tom, it will be perfect.

Comment

With Zaun also gone there will be considerable changes to the broadcast crew.
                        Who replaces Zaun, Kevin Barker?

Wilner will probably get first right of refusal for radio play by play, unless Shulman is interested.

But then who else goes into the booth? Bring back Warren Sawkiw?

Alan Ashby left for a better gig. Morris was sniffing around but has he found something else, or did he burn too many media bridges? Duane Ward has been OK when he has been in the booth.

Any other suggestions?

Sure hope that Jerry's health is OK. Shocked when I was reminded today that Tom Cheek passed away at the young age of only 66.

And John Cerutti was even younger at only 44.

Comment

Actually, I hadn't thought about Ashby. Last year he left his gig with the Astros, and as far as I know is still out of work. He was one of the best we've had -- I wouldn't mind him coming back.

I would rather not hear Sawkiw return. I didn't think he was particularly strong.

Comment

Anyone but Wilner.

Comment

Originally posted by Coleslaw View Post
                              Anyone but Wilner.
                              um, Greg Zaun?
                              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard