Exterior Basement Waterproofing

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Basement Waterproofing

Hey Fellow Nutters,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a company to waterproof basement from outside (finished basement) house is in a subdivision so neighbours on both sides Located near Guelph

Thank You

I will be interested in this as well. Seems I have a leak. small one but a leak just the same
    I am even considering doing this myself as a spring project

Comment

That’s a big project to undertake yourself. I did two sides of my house one summer, then the remainder the next and will never do that again. Not sure where you are in trouble shooting but obvious things to consider are ensuring your eavestrough are collecting rainwater and downspouts are directing it well away from your home. Also, grading soil to slope away your foundation walls and toward ditches is a big part of reducing surface runoff infiltration. Another solution is capping the surface with a relatively impermeable soil layer such as silt / clay. All this means nothing if you live in an area with high groundwater and a sump pump running year round. My best advice is to understand where the water is coming from, then design a repair / solution around it.
      Let's go - While we're young!

Comment

An inside job but Basement Boss. https://basementboss.com/ did a bang up job for us when we had a major water seepage issue about 8 years ago. It was coming in for 7 weeks before we got them in to do the work. They dug out all around the inside of the foundation, laid gravel and O pipe and installed a pump that pushes the water up out the house and almost to the road. Relatively expensive but we have been bone dry ever since.
        WITB
        9.5 Nike Covert
        15 TM Rocketballz
        3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
        52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
        TM White Smoke

Comment

The injection stuff gets a bad rap but we had two giant leaking cracks filled in 2006 and they are still holding 100%. Cost about 300$ back then.
          Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by AlCzervik View Post
            That’s a big project to undertake yourself. I did two sides of my house one summer, then the remainder the next and will never do that again. Not sure where you are in trouble shooting but obvious things to consider are ensuring your eavestrough are collecting rainwater and downspouts are directing it well away from your home. Also, grading soil to slope away your foundation walls and toward ditches is a big part of reducing surface runoff infiltration. Another solution is capping the surface with a relatively impermeable soil layer such as silt / clay. All this means nothing if you live in an area with high groundwater and a sump pump running year round. My best advice is to understand where the water is coming from, then design a repair / solution around it.
            My son has a small house and had some water coming in. Did exactly what you said . . . no more water. This summer we will also fill some cracks from the inside. One step at a time . . .
            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

My house is relatively small compared to most. Its a raised bungalow. My guess is I need to dig down about 6 feet.
              I do need to research this. But I think the most challenging part of the job is digging out, not the actual waterproofing.
              I have one spot in one area where the problem lies. Something tells me a previous owner attempted a repair, but not a very good one.

Something to consider as the spring approaches....

Comment

Working in a trench is one of the most dangerous jobs in Ontario.

If you dig down, then you need to securely shore up the trench.

Remove the old weepers. Apply a 'waterproofing' solution to the wall. Then attach a membrane/shield to the wall. Then install new weepers. While you are at it, have the existing weepers checked by camera and if necessary cleared out. Then install new gravel around the weepers. Then backfill the trench and tamp down. Then re-sod. If it rains before you are finished you will need to cover the trench.

It can be done, but it is hard physical work. I believe that contractors charge up to $200 per linear foot.

Comment

[QUOTE=Arthur Dailey;n2745479]Working in a trench is one of the most dangerous jobs in Ontario.

I dug the trench to run my 220 line to the hot tub from the house. It wasn't fun. About 40 feet through tree roots and all kinds of stuff. I am thinking this is easier. It could save me 8 grand with the feeling I know it was done right

Comment

[QUOTE=rsfairwaysandgreens;n2745588]
                    Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                    Working in a trench is one of the most dangerous jobs in Ontario.

I dug the trench to run my 220 line to the hot tub from the house. It wasn't fun. About 40 feet through tree roots and all kinds of stuff. I am thinking this is easier. It could save me 8 grand with the feeling I know it was done right
                    If you know a guy who runs a mini for a living or does construction, buy him a case of beer and pizza and have him help you out. You don't want to learn on a mini beside your foundation wall, nor do you want someone who takes spoonfuls of dirt. Make sure you do things properly, no shortcuts like the kijiji guys. I've seen people throw clay and 0-7/8's on top of the fresh subdrain then scratch their head when it doesnt work. A good machine operator will maybe your work in the trenches a lot easier when it comes to the grading. Good luck!
                    Rip it and Sip it

Comment

Hey All,
                      Thanks for all the responses have a couple of contractors coming to quote
                      Have to get this done before the golf season starts

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X