Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I won't be Voting PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't heard more about this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	2755585
    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post

That is the neutral designation but I have seen same sex couples introduce their partners as their husband or wife. I don't know how Premier Wynne introduces her partner, probably as "partner".
      Yes but when talking about a same sex couple it's common courtesy to refer to them as 'partner' until they say otherwise, then either stick to partner or follow their lead.

Not all lesbian couples will have someone who identifies as a 'husband', similarly not all gay male partnerships will have one who identifies as a 'wife'.

Comment

• Lets face it though, When it comes to Wynne, there is little common courtesy used in regards to her sexual orientation. And to be honest I do wonder if a lot of the dislike for her from the electorate is tied to that.

Comment

• Way to go Dougy. Nothing like utlilizing your personal experiences from the local 1980's Etobicoke strip mall parking lots...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ning-1.4573790

Comment

• Originally posted by Dunner74 View Post
            Lets face it though, When it comes to Wynne, there is little common courtesy used in regards to her sexual orientation. And to be honest I do wonder if a lot of the dislike for her from the electorate is tied to that.
            It bothers me people can't separate the two. Same thing with Tiger; I broke out my TW hat recently and had a couple comments about "Good choice in role models..."

What they do in their personal lives is none of my business. Tiger is a professional athlete who's been good for the growth of the game and is a pleasure to watch. I couldn't even converse with someone about the personal 'scandal' he was involved in because I avoided reading, hearing or talking about it as I do with all such celebrity gossip.

As for Wynne; I dislike her for her politics. Her being female or gay or older than me or thin has absolutely nothing to do with anything. What she does in elected office and how she goes about it. That's what I care about because that's what I, a tax payer, am paying her for.

I got into an argument with another Wynne detractor one day who happens to be close to me. She lit up when she found out I didn't like Wynne and started telling me all about her wicked ways and her sinful lifestyle and how/why that was bad for the Province. I had to shut that down right quick. Unless and until she starts enacting law or policy that takes rights away from heterosexuals or giving special rights and privileges to homosexuals her sexuality has nothing to do with my feelings about her. Even then I'd still just oppose the policy, not where it came from.

Comment

• People who think DoFo can tamper himself are probably the same ones who thought Trump can become presidential when in office.

And I've got a bridge for sale while we are at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WestendStew View Post

It bothers me people can't separate the two.
                Generally and in principle, I do agree. However when we elect people with no 'moral compass' major problems can arise.

Such as the pedophile ring that was part of and hidden by the British establishment for much of the later part of the 20th century. Or the same people protecting the Kray brothers.

And there was quite probably a similar type of pedophile ring, in New Brunswick.

People lacking a moral compass are also prone to short term thinking.

I also resist/resent the use of the term 'taxpayer' and much prefer something like 'citizen' (although citizen can be seen as discriminatory). The reason being that corporations are also taxpayers, yet they also lack a moral compass and any loyalty to the jurisdiction in which they do business.

Comment

• Sorry just to clarify, do you think Wynne has no "moral compass"?

Comment

• Just to add, I think this stems to the problem Patrick Brown faced, what he allegedly did was by no means illegal, but was probably morally wrong. And I do think that to lead a province or a country that sort of behaviour is not something we should be looking for in a leader (rather than a role model, though I understand it is hard to separate role model from leader)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                      People who think DoFo can tamper himself are probably the same ones who thought Trump can become presidential when in office.

And I've got a bridge for sale while we are at it.

Based on previous behaviour there is faint hope that DF will become the great reconciler...it is not in his personal or business temperament. I expect to see lots of passive aggressive behaviour from the PC executive and staff....and some resignations.

I'm sure the Libs and NDP will have lots of ads showing DF's temper tantrums in city council meetings and his aggressive attitudes toward anyone who ventured a question or critical comment. The Libs have lots of street fighters in their ranks...and Wynne wields a stiletto not a bludgeon. Taking the high road is probably not a good strategy...play dirty because DF will. However, he has more cringe worthy moments in his past than either Wynne or Horwath.

Current polls are next to meaningless, except to inspire the Libs and NDP to get ready for battle. I think as the campaign goes on, DF will find it hard to advance his message without a detailed platform with positives instead of negatives. Out in the hinterlands, local issues and personalities will be more important than messages coming from the leaders. It comes down to who has the bench strength and the coherent message.

In the end, I expect that DF's toxicity will cause a lot of people to consider a minority government the preferred outcome....and vote accordingly. Some independent group should evaluate the race on a riding-by-riding basis and come out with a strategic voting plan to advance the likelihood of a minority government. In the parliamentary system that we have, winning the most seats does not mean that you will form the government.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post

In the parliamentary system that we have, winning the most seats does not mean that you will form the government.
                        Huh? When did our system change? Whoever wins the most seats has always formed the government as long as it's a majority of the seats available.
                        What's in the bag?
                        TM M2
                        Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                        PING Sigma G Putter
                        Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dunner74 View Post
                          Sorry just to clarify, do you think Wynne has no "moral compass"?
                          I was not referring to Premier Wynne when I wrote that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giller31 View Post

Huh? When did our system change? Whoever wins the most seats has always formed the government as long as it's a majority of the seats available.
                            The following is my understanding of the British parliamentary system, but my civics education was in the US. So, I will defer to anyone with superior knowledge in this regard.

The decision is the Governor General's. By custom, the GG asks the party with the most seats to form a government...the most seats may not be a majority of the seats, so to form a government that party will need partners, a minority government. Legislation needs a majority of votes in parliament to become law.

If the opposition parties refuse to join a formal coalition, the party with the most seats can still be asked by the GG to govern. They can try to govern on an ad hoc basis from vote to vote. But if the opposition parties vote as a bloc against the government, paralyzing parliament, then the GG can dissolve parliament, call for a new election, or call on an opposition party to try to form a government through coalition.

If the PCs get the most seats, but not a majority, and the other parties absolutely refuse to support them on any vote in parliament, then a formal coalition of the NDP and Liberals could form the government. GGs are reluctant to do this...so another election is the usual option chosen...but it is not the only option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giller31 View Post

Did you answer your own question?
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Did you answer your own question?
                                I knew the answer I was looking for but I found Rusty's wording a little odd so was looking for clarity.
                                What's in the bag?
                                TM M2
                                Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                                PING Sigma G Putter
                                Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Advanced Search

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 161,738   Posts: 1,696,899   Members: 45,430   Active Members: 278
                                Welcome to our newest member, tpage8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X