No announcement yet.
Collapse

Amber Alert

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oddly enough, on my phone, I've noticed that if I have the phone set to silent, I do not get that blaring alarm. When the notification came in, the phone buzzed and the noise of it vibrating on the wood surface on which the phone was sitting was enough to wake me, so I didn't get that shock of being woken up by that incredibly loud alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by hookminor View Post
      Oddly enough, on my phone, I've noticed that if I have the phone set to silent, I do not get that blaring alarm. When the notification came in, the phone buzzed and the noise of it vibrating on the wood surface on which the phone was sitting was enough to wake me, so I didn't get that shock of being woken up by that incredibly loud alarm.
      Yes, I just have my "Media" volume set to zero, and all I get is a buzz. I don't even have to mute my ring tone or notifications.

Comment

Originally posted by hookminor View Post
        good point.

I don't understand this wired up the wazoo 24/7.dependency. It reeks of an artificial life, a need to be "ON line".
        even Hookers take a break. lol

Amber Alert was warranted. After dropping his wife at the entrance he mindlessly drove off with the kids. I'm not sure he was even aware of their presence in his state No doubt she was aware of his deteriorating condition and had it covered to this point. I doubt the parents would have let the grandparents babysit had they known of its severity.
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

"So, we got another one this morning, around 3:30 AM." Yes, it is a little inconvenient but it's less mind-altering than getting another one this morning, around 3:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

good point.

I don't understand this wired up the wazoo 24/7.dependency. It reeks of an artificial life, a need to be "ON line".
            even Hookers take a break. lol

Amber Alert was warranted. After dropping his wife at the entrance he mindlessly drove off with the kids. I'm not sure he was even aware of their presence in his state No doubt she was aware of his deteriorating condition and had it covered to this point. I doubt the parents would have let the grandparents babysit had they known of its severity.
            I use my phone as my morning alarm so basically never silence it. Sure got the heart going this morning.
            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
            Srixon Star XV
            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by rsfairwaysandgreens View Post
              So if I am not to disable the alert on my phone, and as suggested its somewhat of a duty to receive the notification, does that infer a duty on my part to participate in search and rescue or help resolve whatever the issue is? And if I don't, should I be punished somehow for not assisting? I do wonder about people receiving these things while driving and getting into accidents trying to see what it is. Never mind thousands of cars pulling over to check as well
              I don't think there should be a punishment for not assisting, but as a human being, I feel obligated to help in any way I can. Even if that just means being aware of the situation in case I see something related to the case.

Srixon Star XV
              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

I use my phone as my morning alarm so basically never silence it. Sure got the heart going this morning.
                Phones work differently, of course, but with my phone, I turn down the media volume, and as long as the system volume is on, my alarm works. The Amber Alert only buzzes. That may depend on whether the clock being used is a native app or third party. I use the native app on my Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post

Phones work differently, of course, but with my phone, I turn down the media volume, and as long as the system volume is on, my alarm works. The Amber Alert only buzzes. That may depend on whether the clock being used is a native app or third party. I use the native app on my Galaxy.
                  Not sure if iPhone does that but you've given me a reason to go looking for it. That said, I'd kick myself if I silenced it and slept through an Amber alert that I possibly could have helped out.

Srixon Star XV
                  Ogio Grom bag

Comment

These amber alerts that go off in the middle of the night can't be too effective with the majority of the population in bed.

Comment

While I completely agree that this system is necessary and am not unhappy that it woke me up (I've got a kid), it could be improved.

A friend and I were discussing that with all the tech in phones now, it shouldn't be hard to isolate which phones should and should not receive the message. If my phone hasn't moved for over 2-3 hours, it probably means I am sleeping and would be no use even if I received the alert. However if my phone has been pinging off of multiple towers, then clearly I am in a position to potentially assist. That's just one idea.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman View Post
                        These amber alerts that go off in the middle of the night can't be too effective with the majority of the population in bed.
                        They seem to be effective. Each time, it's been reported that the Amber Alert led to finding the children, and it's always been quickly.

Comment

Anyone know if having the phone on Airplane mode would prevent the alert?

when I use my phone as an alarm clock I always put it on airplane mode so that emails or other notices are not disruptive.
                          Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
                          Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
                          Nike 23 degree hybrid
                          Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
                          Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
                          Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Like I said before, the system needs refinement. In densely populated areas you will have people powering down their phones.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgsxr View Post
                              Anyone know if having the phone on Airplane mode would prevent the alert?

when I use my phone as an alarm clock I always put it on airplane mode so that emails or other notices are not disruptive.
                              Without any direct knowledge of newer devices. Airplane mode used to disable all communication to your device.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

Not sure if iPhone does that but you've given me a reason to go looking for it. That said, I'd kick myself if I silenced it and slept through an Amber alert that I possibly could have helped out.
                                I always have my iPhone on silent/vibrate. Alarms still go off.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X