• Show
Clear All

• Climate Change

Click image for larger version

Name:	nasa-b-c-fires.jpg
Views:	1886
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2846559
    Did anyone notice the sunset last night in Toronto? It was red very high in the sky due to smoke particles in the atmosphere from western Canada fires. The picture above was 2 days ago.

2018 is on track to be the 4th warmest year ever recorded since we have tracked weather globally. If it is, the last 5 years will be the 5 hottest years recorded since 1888. Our west coast has a record amount of wild fires, so does most of Europe. Someone called a post on another thread hyperbole when I said the earth was burning. The Netherlands, Greece, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia, Finland, Estonia, Latvia all have severe forest fires burning right now.

In India there are almost a million displaced people in Kerala alone due to record flooding. We will be looking a massive forced migration from climate change in the coming years and we are not planning for it in any meaningful way. Building walls and restricting immigration are not an answer. Desperate people will find a way.

If what the climate scientist are saying is true then its already much too late for humans. Lets f this place up quick and dirty and get it over with. We will all be dead most of the other life forms will be dead and the earth, she ll keep on being earth. And more than likely life will continue.
    Ill be in the yard doin my part..... Burning tires.

Comment

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
      If what the climate scientist are saying is true then its already much too late for humans. Lets f this place up quick and dirty and get it over with. We will all be dead most of the other life forms will be dead and the earth, she ll keep on being earth. And more than likely life will continue.
      Ill be in the yard doin my part..... Burning tires.

Wow so edgy

Comment

Whats your solution? Complaining about the obvious doesnt help anything. Im sure most people (like myself) are doing their part on a local level. Dont be so arrogant to think that we arent already totally fd if the scientist are right . the earth will be fine its us that are screwed

Comment

No wonder even though the forecast called for Sunny days, there's a haze above the sky over the weekend.

With climate change, how each season unfolds is now becoming less and less predictable.

Comment

Trump’s Space Force will be building a giant vacuum cleaner in orbit to suck up all the bad atmosphere. Then Elon will transport all the bad stuff to Mars. Problem solved!

Comment

Originally posted by hackerhare View Post
              Trump’s Space Force will be building a giant vacuum cleaner in orbit to suck up all the bad atmosphere. Then Elon will transport all the bad stuff to Mars. Problem solved!
              Spaceballs reference?

Comment

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
                Whats your solution? Complaining about the obvious doesnt help anything. Im sure most people (like myself) are doing their part on a local level. Dont be so arrogant to think that we arent already totally fd if the scientist are right . the earth will be fine its us that are screwed
                Get the carbon tax back in place, push for tougher environmental laws, increase taxes on fossil fuels. Foster renewable energy programs globally. Consume locally produced products and food. There is a lot we can do, we just need the will to change. Economic ramifications are becoming harder to justify each passing day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

Get the carbon tax back in place, push for tougher environmental laws, increase taxes on fossil fuels. Foster renewable energy programs globally. Consume locally produced products and food. There is a lot we can do, we just need the will to change. Economic ramifications are becoming harder to justify each passing day.
                  Fresh locally grown food will be hard to obtain in a country that is frozen for half the year. A one degree centigrade increase in the annual temperature would lengthen the growing season in Eastern Ontario by 60 days, enough for a second crop of many foodstuffs. So a little more global warming is good in my book.

The wildfires are horrible, but much of the damage of natural disasters is because the human population has grown tremendously in the last 50 years and many people have moved in harms way.

I would support a revenue neutral carbon tax because it would drive behaviour. Our governments have an uncontrollable appetite for getting money out of our pockets, so any new tax would just be used for pandering by politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by laps View Post

Fresh locally grown food will be hard to obtain in a country that is frozen for half the year. A one degree centigrade increase in the annual temperature would lengthen the growing season in Eastern Ontario by 60 days, enough for a second crop of many foodstuffs. So a little more global warming is good in my book.

The wildfires are horrible, but much of the damage of natural disasters is because the human population has grown tremendously in the last 50 years and many people have moved in harms way.

I would support a revenue neutral carbon tax because it would drive behaviour. Our governments have an uncontrollable appetite for getting money out of our pockets, so any new tax would just be used for pandering by politicians.
                    That's a pretty brave statement and is contrary to what scientists in the know are predicting. A global 1 degree change would be catastrophic. By all accounts things are going to get very hot globally within the next 5 years.

Comment

In a capitalist world, environmental degradation will continue to be routine as we chase the dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

That's a pretty brave statement and is contrary to what scientists in the know are predicting. A global 1 degree change would be catastrophic. By all accounts things are going to get very hot globally within the next 5 years.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...change/109546/
                        For some people it will get worse, but scientists and politicians ignore that some areas might be better off, including many parts of Eastern Canada. Cold is more dangerous to your health than heat. Some will need to adapt, but we and our ancestors had to adapt to several months of very cold weather each year, paralyzing snowstorms, risky food supply. Our knowledge and technology have improved so adaptation should be easier. I don't see any country opening up its arms to welcome Canadian migrants who want to live in a milder climate or helping us deal with the miserable and deadly cold.

Comment

Originally posted by laps View Post

For some people it will get worse, but scientists and politicians ignore that some areas might be better off, including many parts of Eastern Canada. Cold is more dangerous to your health than heat. Some will need to adapt, but we and our ancestors had to adapt to several months of very cold weather each year, paralyzing snowstorms, risky food supply. Our knowledge and technology have improved so adaptation should be easier. I don't see any country opening up its arms to welcome Canadian migrants who want to live in a milder climate or helping us deal with the miserable and deadly cold.
                          Tell that to at least 90 people in Quebec.

225 in Toronto.

I don't deny Climate Change (formerly global warming) I just doubt any government mandated policies would have no other benefit than to shake more money out of our pockets.

Comment

Carbon Tax, Cap-n-trade, electric vehicles (EV) incentives, etc will just make put less $$ in our pocket and more $$ for the govt to waste. Nothing will be solved unless they make EV as cheap as current gasoline vehicles and batteries last as long as the internal combustion engines. Then pay us to retrofit our garages and parking spots to have a plug. Most of us don't want the EV and why should we switch when I have spend my own $$. Those rebates are laughable in the overall costs for a new EV. Until we are truly out of petroleum or have a viable, carry on.

If you think those Carbon Taxes etc really help in fixing global warming then, seriously. It is just new name for govt to rip our $$ out of our hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimpled Balls View Post
                              In a capitalist world, environmental degradation will continue to be routine as we chase the dollar.
                              And the alternative is? What?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X