No announcement yet.
Collapse

Ford Government, Year One

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like Dougie has been doing his part to support restaurants. Looking at The size of him I would say probably all of them.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
      It's like something you'd see from Parks and Recreation - https://twitter.com/tylerwatt90/stat...51406959099904
      I feel bad for the lady doing the sign language. She must be saying to herself, "WTF is this guy talking about!"

Comment

• Follow the money

https://www.nationalobserver.com/202...ents-by-donors

The Ford government has used controversial special orders to allow developments on sites involving environmental concerns 14 times since 2018, an analysis by Canada’s National Observer has found.

In nine of those cases, the orders benefitted developers who donated $262,915 to the Progressive Conservatives and Ontario Proud, a third-party group that supported the PCs in the 2018 election, the analysis shows.

The directives — called Ministerial Zoning Orders, or MZOs ⁠— allow Ontario Municipal Affairs Minister Steve Clark to decide how a parcel of land can be used, overriding local planning and existing zoning rules. An area set aside for agriculture can become a new subdivision. A protected wetland where development is usually forbidden can become a warehouse.

“It’s Steve Clark’s new magic wand. He points, says, ‘Shazam,’ and suddenly there’s a new building there,” said Ontario NDP MPP Ian Arthur, then the party’s environment critic, in a phone interview in late January. (Arthur took on a different critic role on Feb. 1.)

“There’s no oversight… Make a donation, you’ll get your project.”
        TM AeroBurner 1 Driver 10.5 degree
        Callaway Razr Hawk 3W
        TM Rocketballz Stage 1 5W
        Nike Vapor Flex Hybrid 4H 23
        TM Rocketballz Stage 1 5I-PW
        Cobra Tour Trusty 52-8/56-8
        Performer High Loft 64
        Taylor Made Ghost 35" putter

Comment

• If the allegations contained in this piece are correct, then the Premier should be ashamed of himself. There is no excuse for allowing this state of affairs to develop.

http://www.slaw.ca/2021/02/16/justic...ios-tribunals/
          This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpare View Post
            If the allegations contained in this piece are correct, then the Premier should be ashamed of himself. There is no excuse for allowing this state of affairs to develop.

http://www.slaw.ca/2021/02/16/justic...ios-tribunals/
            I posted about this a while back and it's been a giant concern for those in the disabled community for some time now. Unfortunately the only was this gets fixed is by first ushering in a change of government, as this one has clearly shown their intention is to dismantle the whole system.
            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
            Srixon Star XV
            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

You know for sure that in a press conference he will say, "I will never apologize for creating jobs for Ontarians", while sipping on a cup of gravy...

Comment

• https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sale-1.5921462

- Agreement to sell happened in September with no open call bids for the site
                - Province did own half-assed heritage assessment on the building
                - Province issued MZO in December to allow construction of residential buildings on the site
                - Demolition on site started in January

I wonder if it's one of the donors who got dibs on the property - like the Hearn power plant that was sold for a fraction of what it was worth.

They aren't even trying to hide the corruption at this point.
                Callaway Razr Hawk 3W
                Performer High Loft 64

Comment

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sale-1.5921462

- Agreement to sell happened in September with no open call bids for the site
                  - Province did own half-assed heritage assessment on the building
                  - Province issued MZO in December to allow construction of residential buildings on the site
                  - Demolition on site started in January

I wonder if it's one of the donors who got dibs on the property - like the Hearn power plant that was sold for a fraction of what it was worth.

They aren't even trying to hide the corruption at this point.
                  I love this quote from the story about how priorities changed after Ford took power.

"Maximizing the proceeds was no longer named as a prime objective."

Is this really what one would expect when a self described and so called "businessman" takes over the province? That one of the largest asset classes the province has (real estate properties owned by the province) in a burning hot real estate market are suddenly to be sold at a faster rate and at fire sale prices with no competitive and open bidding process?

I have never believed in recall legislation before but Ford is surely making me question that. Between his blundering incompetence at managing a public health emergency and his shocking horrendous mismanagement of the public purse I am not sure how much more of him we are going to be able to survive, both figuratively and in some cases literally.

Comment

• The Government of Ontario policy identified below provides direction on the sale or disposition of Crown Land in Ontario. The policy is specific to land owned by the Crown (Province of Ontario)...that was never before previously alienated (sold). There is not much of that left in southern Ontario - Puslinch Crown Management Area being one of the few, if I recall. Most Crown Land in Ontario is in Northern Ontario.

The policy clearly calls for the sale of Crown Land to be based on seeking to obtain the highest sale price based on open bidding and market value assessments. There are provisions for exception, like public infrastructure, environmental conservation purposes, or transfers to other levels of government, but even in these instances, a business case must be provided for the proposed below value sale transaction.

However, the policy specifically excludes lands that came back into the hands of the province after it's initial disposition...."Section 3.1 This policy does not deal with the disposition of rights to acquired property." Such reacquired Provincial lands are typically called "public lands" as opposed to Crown Lands.

So, the Dominion Foundries Lands are not subject to this policy, because these are lands that were reacquired by the Province at some point - part of the West Donlands Land Assembly maybe?

What I note however, at the very bottom of the policy document, is that it was updated in August of 2020. That puts the policy revision squarely into the period of time that the government is reported as being in negotiation for the sale of the property.

I can't be sure, not having dealt with this kind of thing directly, but I do not recall a wholesale exemption for reacquired Public Lands from the market value sales policy. And further, it makes no sense whatsoever anyway, to out of hand, exclude all such properties from being subject to market value sale values.

Is it being overly suspicious to think that the Ford Government would change its policy requiring the sale of public lands at market value to cut a cozy deal with a developer at below market value for the Foundries Lands?

Disposition of public land at less than market value
                    Disposition of public land at less than market value | Ontario.ca

Remember...we still have Ontario Place to deal with.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

• So I am somewhat surprised the right wing scream-o-sphere has not lost their minds over Ford's presumed anti human trafficking legislation. It is pretty obvious that this is really an end around on enhancing the ability of the government and the police to surveil and snoop on private businesses and citizens. From what I understand there will be no actual impact on human trafficking from this legislation so the real purpose is to use trafficking as cover for what they reallly want. I thought that the whole keep the government out of my business crowd would be furious about this bait and switch by Ford.

Comment

• Daddy used us! Sue the province! Pretty dispicable honestly.

https://apple.news/AcYIFafH-SLaAEI7Tvl734Q

Comment

• Nice work if you can get it. Former TPS Chief Saunders will be getting $171,000 a year to advise on the redevelopment of Ontario Place

https://www.pas.gov.on.ca/Home/Agency/648
                          Callaway Razr Hawk 3W
                          Performer High Loft 64

Comment

Nice work if you can get it. Former TPS Chief Saunders will be getting $171,000 a year to advise on the redevelopment of Ontario Place

https://www.pas.gov.on.ca/Home/Agency/648

I was stunned by this. What qualifications would he have that would be even remotely have him on a candidate list for this role? His entire career is in policing.

What's next, take a career urban planner and make that person Police Chief?

Nice gig though. On top of his police pension that is also likely six figures or close to it. Ca-ching!

Comment

• Originally posted by 68shark View Post

I was stunned by this. What qualifications would he have that would be even remotely have him on a candidate list for this role? His entire career is in policing.

What's next, take a career urban planner and make that person Police Chief?
                              At
                              Nice gig though. On top of his police pension that is also likely six figures or close to it. Ca-ching!
                              It’s only a 3 year gig. So no big deal.
                              One thing I find astounding in all this kinda stuff is that is there no one capable of saying “Hey dudes....if this goes public, and it will, do you realize how bad it will look? Maybe we shouldn’t do this.”
                              There’s not enough lipstick to make this pig look good.

Comment

• Originally posted by vermin40 View Post

It’s only a 3 year gig. So no big deal.
                                One thing I find astounding in all this kinda stuff is that is there no one capable of saying “Hey dudes....if this goes public, and it will, do you realize how bad it will look? Maybe we shouldn’t do this.”
                                There’s not enough lipstick to make this pig look good.
                                Or he could be a smart, capable guy. So I would wait and see before judging.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X