Ford Government, Year One

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

A couple of observations:

1) Doug Ford is hardly an elite. He's an uneducated rube who inherited a small business and seems to run it successfully.

2) I would expect him to be on the side of small business, not the big box stores. Does he even know anyone important at Walmart or Costco? I doubt they belong to the same clubs....

3) Of course there's been a trail of lobbyists. That's how the system works for all stripes and levels of politics. The same people would have been lined up outside Kathleen Wynne's door. Or Trudeau's or O'Toole's.

As far as his handling of the pandemic, that's pretty accurate. He makes decisions based on who talked to him last. Overall I still think he did okay. There was no easy or obvious route through all this. The box stores were a mistake and we opened up too soon and we shouldn't have closed golf (but that's just a rounding error in the overall scheme of things).
    1. His father was an MPP. If I remember correctly his maternal grandfather was highly connected. He grew up in a wealthy enclave, with a 'rich' father. Inherited a profitable business. So maybe not 'old school' elite (like John Tory), but certainly among the 'ruling class'.

2. According to the article he met personally with the CEO of Walmart Canada.

3. True. However the current provincial government appears to have an exorbitant amount of such connections.

4. Agree there is/was no 'easy way'. The Premier seemed to try to walk a 'middle line'. The crux of the article is that doing so did not correspond with accepted medical/healthcare/public health recommendations, favoured the 'large' or 'connected' corporations, and confused much of the electorate due to it being/seeming somewhat random/arbitrary.

Comment

• no words

"Ontario's Conservative Party is mailing fake "invoices" to households, with a demand for a payment. Ontario Liberals will be formally requesting an immediate investigation by Elections Ontario and the Ontario Provincial Police"

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-p...ions-1.5551888
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
        no words

"Ontario's Conservative Party is mailing fake "invoices" to households, with a demand for a payment. Ontario Liberals will be formally requesting an immediate investigation by Elections Ontario and the Ontario Provincial Police"

If they did that- that is one of the stupidest things I've heard politically. What idiot decided to do that and what outcome did they expect?
        I want Benzie to weigh in with a "I suspect this was a false flag operation to discredit the PC's."

Comment

no words

Looks like the amount 'owing' varies from postal code to postal code.

I would be offended that if I don't 'owe' near the top of the amount.

Comment

• Unless they go door to door threatening to break thumbs, this is just lazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
              Unless they go door to door threatening to break thumbs, this is just lazy.
              I'm sure it's being discussed now. They do still have that list of contact tracers that never got used.
              In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
              and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

no words

Saw that yesterday . . . it was $300 . . . didn't mention anything because I thought it was too ridiculous to be true . . . now I am not so sure.
                If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

Saw that yesterday . . . it was $300 . . . didn't mention anything because I thought it was too ridiculous to be true . . . now I am not so sure.
                  Next step. The PC will be sending collection agencies.

Comment

• Originally posted by hackerhare View Post
                    Next step. The PC will be sending collection agencies.
                    Probably a clause about automatic renewal . . . donation every month . . . à la Trump . . .
                    Last edited by Chambokl; Aug 19, 2021, 05:00 PM.
                    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• The company behind the invoices is Responsive Marketing Group. They've been paid $1.7m over the last two years by the Ontario PCs.

They are also one of the companies that were involved in the Robocall scandal in 2011 telling people that their polling station had moved when it actually hadn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
                        The company behind the invoices is Responsive Marketing Group. They've been paid $1.7m over the last two years by the Ontario PCs.

They are also one of the companies that were involved in the Robocall scandal in 2011 telling people that their polling station had moved when it actually hadn't.
                        Different dog, same tail.
                        In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

• This would be such an easy, obvious win for this government ...... but

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
                            This would be such an easy, obvious win for this government ...... but

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/sept-30-w...irms-1.5578174
                            I sort of get it though. If Rememberance Day isn't even a stat holiday, there'd be a lot of screaming if they made Sept 30th one. It's also still a very tenuous time for many businesses, and the last thing they need is to have another day of lost productivity/sales while paying workers. Perhaps they could have just said "not right now" but committed to looking at it again next year?
                            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                            Srixon Star XV
                            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

I sort of get it though. If Rememberance Day isn't even a stat holiday, there'd be a lot of screaming if they made Sept 30th one. It's also still a very tenuous time for many businesses, and the last thing they need is to have another day of lost productivity/sales while paying workers. Perhaps they could have just said "not right now" but committed to looking at it again next year?
                              I'm with you on this. I have to think that while the easy move would be to make it a stat day, the right move is to not do it at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

I sort of get it though. If Remembrance Day isn't even a stat holiday, there'd be a lot of screaming if they made Sept 30th one. It's also still a very tenuous time for many businesses, and the last thing they need is to have another day of lost productivity/sales while paying workers. Perhaps they could have just said "not right now" but committed to looking at it again next year?
                                Remembrance Day is a stat holiday for those companies/employers/sectors that fall under federal jurisdiction. This represents approximately 17% of workers in Canada. Airlines, railways, banks, telecommunications all fall under this. They do not get Family Day as that is a stat holiday for provincially regulated employers/employees.

September 30th for Ontario workplaces will fall under the same rules as Remembrance Day.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X