/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Continuing your education or things of interest?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing your education or things of interest?

This place is fantastic and I've taken a few and it is all online. https://www.edx.org/

Originally posted by The Rifleman View Post
    This place is fantastic and I've taken a few and it is all online. https://www.edx.org/
    I'll have to take a look at that.

I tried a free course at coursera.org, but found it a bit lighter than I wanted. May have to try another.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Please do. I've taken a few Law courses there just for interest sake and some communication courses which was my main thing at schools I went to. A few friends have also taken some there for to be used where they work. For folks that are going to use it to enhance their position at work, I'd suggest having it marked (where there is a small fee) and you will receive a certificate or something similar. These are some of the top schools in the world and the courses are taught by the teachers there too.Online is fun, years ago when the internet was starting to roll (I was in advertising) I had some clients I knew would like to push things and I found an online school for Internet Law, just in case what they were thinking would get them and me in trouble.. Long-story short, I was recommended by the teacher to Harvard Law for Internet Law (https://cyber.harvard.edu/) as Harvard was looking into doing online/distance education and they offered a spot to 1000 people around the world and I was lucky to participate in it. This was also free. Was spread over four winters and was time well spent.
      Besides, winter is approaching and being indoors will give you something worthwhile to do.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Ongoing education and personal development is important and I've taken a number of courses and training programs relating to a variety of disciplines from cooking and furniture refinishing to Autism Intervention And options and Securities trading .....but in past several years have done more study from reading textbooks and using online materials vs paying. I need a new interest and hobby to refresh my passion for learning. Agronomy , electronics repair and Architecture are a few areas That I wouldnt mind studying.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Back in my Uni days, I had a 75 year old classmate. The guy would take courses twice. Showed up in a suit and tie every class. He would questioned the professor during the lectures........hilarious! You could tell the professor was annoyed...great entertainment for a boring class!

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Thanks for the link. Ongoing education and personal development is important and I've taken a number of courses and training programs relating to a variety of disciplines from cooking and furniture refinishing to Autism Intervention And options and Securities trading .....but in past several years have done more study from reading textbooks and using online materials vs paying. I need a new interest and hobby to refresh my passion for learning. Agronomy , electronics repair and Architecture are a few areas That I wouldnt mind studying.
            You are most welcome, I'm a big believer in continuing education. Hope you find something there that is of interest to you.

Comment

Originally posted by unskinnybop99 View Post
              Back in my Uni days, I had a 75 year old classmate. The guy would take courses twice. Showed up in a suit and tie every class. He would questioned the professor during the lectures........hilarious! You could tell the professor was annoyed...great entertainment for a boring class!
              I've had a few seniors in my classes. Always respected them for improving themselves. That was my parents concern, I would still be in school taking something as an elderly person.

Comment

Tuition used to be free for seniors to audit courses at universities. My dad, who was not religious, took many theology and philosophy courses at Ottawa area universities.

Comment

Bern, fantastic for your Dad, if I had my way all seniors would have the opportunity to take what ever interests them for free. Many people could and would be wise to listen to seniors regardless of how far they went or didn't in education, as they have life experience which school will not teach you.

Comment

Bern, fantastic for your Dad, if I had my way all seniors would have the opportunity to take what ever interests them for free. Many people could and would be wise to listen to seniors regardless of how far they went or didn't in education, as they have life experience which school will not teach you.
                    Agreed on listening to elders, though shifting demographics suggest we would be better off supporting education for younger Canadians. I like the idea of older and younger generations living together, there are issues that will inevitably result but in the end a positive. Here we are in the new world adopting elder care that worked in the old world for millenia.

Comment

Before Covid kicked in, I audited two philosophy courses (one was on ethics and the law; the other was on morality) at Yorke. The fee was ridiculously low. I loved every minute of it, though I did feel that my synapses were not firing as quickly as they did when I was in my 20s and 30s. If I can find a course that can be attended in the classroom, beginning in Janunary of 2022, I'll sign up for another. I don't have anything against online courses generally, but taking a course using Zoom or anything similar, which I did when the Covid lockdown at York began, was not fun. As for the online source that was cited by the original poster, I'll likely be signing up for one of those courses.

This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by swapna
                        Hello,
                        Thanks for providing this information
                        German Language Course In Pune
                        Next time I am in Pune, I will be sure to attend.
                        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by unskinnybop99 View Post
                          Dude sounds institutionalized

Comment

I can teach yoga - sup - and gonna work on my snowboard instructor deal at some point

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X