Collapse

Any runners on here?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any runners on here?

newsflash. I’m not. Wife is though. Got hard into it last year and ran a few 10ks and couple half marathons. Got herself a running coach and trained hard all winter - running 4 to 5 days a week in some ridiculous weather.
    Season starts tomorrow at the Burlington Chilly half marathon. Anyone else attending?
    Driver: yup..5 of those
    3 Wood: 'bout 4
    Hybrid: few..couple of tour issue
    Irons: Too many but AP2 for now
    Wedges: Lots
    Putter: A016836

I used to do 45+ K/week until my knee gave out. Really miss it. Good luck to your wife.

Comment

I run 1-2 5ks a year. Not hardcore by any sense but it helps keep me in shape and gives me some goals. In the nice weather I’ll run a few times a week but in the winter it’s skis skates and indoor bike
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I got pretty hooked from age 40-50 then my arthritic toes forced me out. It was either quit running, or I'd be forced to quit hiking, skiing, cycling, and golfing within a couple of years.

The endorphins and "runner's high" were quite addictive. As was the ability to eat and drink a lot w/o weight gain. Like Smittyman, I really miss it.

I'd discourage your wife from doing any more than half marathons. I got talked into entering a full, and got addicted, quitting after my 13th at age 50. But the mileage of the race and all the miles of training required to build to it are hard on the body. I think a lot of people my age who were proud of their ability to "push" themselves are dealing with health issues as a result.

Weather looks pretty good - chilly (as it should be) and sunny. Hope they've cleared the roads of snow.

Good luck to your wife for tomorrow!

Cheer loud, and cheer for everyone - they get a lot of energy out of that.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

I try and get out 2 to 3 times per week during the winter fall and spring. Actually, I just came in from a run. The nastier the weather the more I love it.

I don't run in the summer hot temps and the only organised event I do is the Terry Fox run.

Running has always been a secondary activity to cycling and x-country skiing and I have never done or contemplated anything more than a 10K run

I don't go as far as I used to or as fast, but I don't want to give it up.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Love running, but your time doing it is finite. Your body just does not take that kind of abuse all that well. I have cut back to 5k two times a week now. Big thing, proper fitting for shoes and make sure your form is good. Tried cork tracks, but the same scenery kills me.

Comment

I was a runner, I started when I turned 40 and entered several 5 & 10km races, plus a 1/2 marathon and a few duathlons. I loved it. I used to enjoy going for a morning run around the lake on the weekends. Alas I suffered a torn hamstring playing indoor soccer 5 year ago which put me on the shelf for several months. I got lazy and gained weight and never got back into it. I'm seriously considering getting back into running; mostly shorter distances to get back into reasonable shape and lose 20 pounds. I miss running along our waterfront.

Comment

I play a lot of sports so don't run regularly but often do when I am out of the city, either on vacation or at the cottage. I have run the same routes in the city so many times I get bored of them.

Up at the cottage I can always find somewhere new to run and I can have my dog off-leash running with me.

On vacation, I love running to explore. You'll see places you never would have thought to go otherwise, and it's a great way to clear your head after a few too many beverages the night before. You just have to be a bit more proactive with your planning.

In Buenos Aires, I took a quick look at a map and headed out without my phone. The route I planned was about 7km out to the waterfront, along and back. Turns out I was running past the airport, which obviously I couldn't cut through, then alongside the highway, so had to go another couple of km before finding a bridge, then got a bit lost because I was so far off my planned route etc.

21km later (having gone out at a 7km pace...) I dragged myself back to the hotel to find my wife in a bit of a panic because I told her I'd be back in 30 mins, lol. I did something similar with my brother in Istanbul a few years before. You'd think I'd learn

I always take $20 cash tucked somewhere in case I get really lost and have to hop in a cab or something, but my pride has never let me use it before
                What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                TM Rescue 17*
                TM M2 4-AW
                TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
                  I play a lot of sports so don't run regularly but often do when I am out of the city, either on vacation or at the cottage. I have run the same routes in the city so many times I get bored of them.

Up at the cottage I can always find somewhere new to run and I can have my dog off-leash running with me.

On vacation, I love running to explore. You'll see places you never would have thought to go otherwise, and it's a great way to clear your head after a few too many beverages the night before. You just have to be a bit more proactive with your planning.

In Buenos Aires, I took a quick look at a map and headed out without my phone. The route I planned was about 7km out to the waterfront, along and back. Turns out I was running past the airport, which obviously I couldn't cut through, then alongside the highway, so had to go another couple of km before finding a bridge, then got a bit lost because I was so far off my planned route etc.

21km later (having gone out at a 7km pace...) I dragged myself back to the hotel to find my wife in a bit of a panic because I told her I'd be back in 30 mins, lol. I did something similar with my brother in Istanbul a few years before. You'd think I'd learn

I always take $20 cash tucked somewhere in case I get really lost and have to hop in a cab or something, but my pride has never let me use it before
                  I've done the same thing - nothing like running in new places to make the time go by. I get bored with the usual routes as well. Headed south in a month and can't wait to get out on the road again. Ottawa has been heavily glaciated for the better part of this winter.
                  MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Another runner here....focusing on 5k and 10ks. Raced the last Oakville Mercedes 5k a couple of years ago and finished in the top 10 in my age category (22:52). Hope to try and run the Disney Full Marathon in Jan 2020 for my 50th birthday. I want to get a 10k in this spring and half in the fall...

Comment

One foot in front of the other..... Used to run a lot (never races though). :30-1:00 spurts. Load the ipod with podcasts.

Terrible for the knees & stopped. Now & then & on vacation. I'll run on the course when trying to beat sunset too .

Incredible how quickly my knees recovered once I stopped. Can easily walk 36 too.

Now I have a spinning cycle and catch up on netflix, crave (currently The Sopranos) and don't feel guilty watching sports as multi-tasking.

Comment

Personal best for her in the half marathon today.
                        Finished in 1:34 and we are extremely proud of her. Only her second official half. Was a TON
                        of runners out there today.

Comment

Originally posted by Blassy View Post
                          Personal best for her in the half marathon today.
                          Finished in 1:34 and we are extremely proud of her. Only her second official half. Was a TON
                          of runners out there today.
                          Wow! That's a great time!

1:30 is sort of a watershed number, and she's very close to that already.

Very well done, especially for her 2nd one. This may be her "thing"!

Big congrats to her (and to her support team, of course )
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Very impressive, congrats to her.

Comment

Thanks. She always ran but couple years ago started to really struggle with some anxiety issues. Panic attacks at night etc. She decided to use it as one of her tools and has really taken to it. The running coach really helped over the last 6 or 8 months but she is certainly putting t in the effort. As a bonus it’s really helped her cope with the other issues too.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse