Toronto Maple Leafs 2019 - 2020 thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bogey5 View Post

If Vegas won Subban would have been 1st star
    I was hoping he was going to get the start, so it was cool to see him play - and play well - here at home.
    – Greg

Comment

• That said, it looks like all's okay in Leaf land - at least for the moment. Our last 3 games, we've (and by that, I mean Freddie's) only let in 5 goals so in that sense, I guess we've been better defensively (maybe?). AND we've moved up to second in our division.

And when I look at our recent losses (all with Tavares OUT of the lineup) Columbus was an O/T loss where the GWG was on a penalty shot | Boston was a back-to-back but I remember the Leafs played pretty good and it coulda gone either way (lost in the 3rd period, I recall - Hutchinson in net) | Montreal was a back-to-back (Hutchinson in net) | Washington was an O/T loss while the Leafs were penalty-killing.

So hopefully once Hyman comes back, that top line will be even better...

Comment

• Originally posted by synergy View Post

I was hoping he was going to get the start, so it was cool to see him play - and play well - here at home.
        As posted often before, the Subban's are a great family, regardless of hockey. Their father has made immense contributions to the community.

Leaf management preferred Sparks to Bibeau. And believe(d) that Kaskisuo had more 'upside'.
        They did make a mistake in not providing Alex Stalock with a greater opportunity to prove his worth, during his brief time with the franchise. He has developed into a dependable back-up in Minnesota.

It was alleged that it was a 'buyers market' for goalies. So surely the Leafs if they do not believe 100% in Hutch can find a comparably priced alternative. For example Louis Domingue who has good NHL but only mediocre AHL numbers. Or local boy Scott Wedgewood.
        Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Nov 8, 2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Surprised no-one has mentioned that Babs got his 700th NHL win last night and is only the 8th coach in the leagues , 100 plus year history to do that.

Congrats Babs
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
            Looking like Hyman's return is imminent and Leafs looking to clear cap space

Petan ( who Leafs have been trying to move for a while with no luck) and Marincin have been placed on waivers today
            Both went unclaimed....which I suppose should come as no big surprise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Agree that Spezza was an unusual add ( even though he was cheap) he is Olddd and slowww and really adds nothing. Obviously Babcock wasn't a fan by all the early season barbs he tossed his way and the minimal usage he got. He isnt a Babcock type player ( insn't physical and plays below average D) he does have good hands but there is no real place for him on the Leafs. I wonder if any team would make a trade for him ? Shore could be the one who stays as he plays wing and C. The only reason Spezza might hang around is for his post season experience with a young team.

Hyman will probably take a few games to get up to speed but his style of play is innate and I doubt that changes or is impacted as long as he has fully recovered.

whoever goes/stays isn't a big deal really as they are 6-8 minute a game bottom line players and these types are a dime a dozen and the Marlies have a bunch who could fill in if needed.
              I think we are forgetting the leafs DO NOT have a physical team, not even close, nor do they have Babcock type players as you point out. The fourth line (Spezzas role) does not hit, or check (much), if anything they give the leafs a chance for some bonus offense.. Gauthiers skating is much better, but still he doesnt do much, I know Babs is trying to expand his role.. Shore has had one good game (1 point I believe) and Timashov is basically a fly who gets swatted away every night..
              Spezza only looks sluggish when he has to backcheck from the goal line after using up most of his legs.. He might be older, but with the money they are paying him, the value is definitely there.. 4 points with little consistent opportunity (ice time) plus all the experience and skill. Guys like Timashov and Shore are a dime a dozen, makes no sense imo to release Spezza..
              M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
              M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
              Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
              Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
              TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

• Originally posted by Hope469 View Post

Guys like Timashov and Shore are a dime a dozen, makes no sense imo to release Spezza..
                Don't necessarily disagree he can still play C and still has a good shot, just not sure if the fit is there. Looks like Gautier ( who has been very good this season) has locked in the 4th line C position.

What Spezza does have is post season, veteran experience , I'm guessing probably double the PO games Tavares has. That can be a valuable asset with a young team come April.

In the end, since none of Spezza, Shore or Timashov are difference makers, why not keep the seasoned vet?

Comment

• 80 PO games for Spezza v 31 for Tavares.

Shore has bounced around, been traded by LA, and Ottawa and not renewed by Calgary. Spent last season in the K. So would most likely pass through waivers.

Timashov is much more interesting. Has improved each season. Was a Leaf draft pick and still relatively young. He might not pass waivers.

Gauthier is puzzling. Has little to no offensive output. Is not physical. Despite improving is still a below average NHL skater. What he does is win faceoffs and provide a 'big body' in the middle. Sort of a poor man's Joel Otto?

Comment

• Marner looked to have twisted his ankle last night and didn't return....would think he is doubtful for today's game. Spezza might get some ice time if this keeps Marner out

Comment

• Marner is not travelling to Chicago. Tough break for the Leafs.

Leafs need to be buying Freddie a lot of dinners the last week. Without his stellar play they’re not even close.
                      Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                      Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
                      Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
                      Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
                      Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
                      Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                      Ping Hoofer

Comment

• Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
                        Marner is not travelling to Chicago. Tough break for the Leafs.

Leafs need to be buying Freddie a lot of dinners the last week. Without his stellar play they’re not even close.
                        Ugh, about Marner. Was hoping it was really minor since he kept trying to stay on.

Freddie saved the day last night, with some help from the Flyers missing on wide open nets.

I'll take a point for all that.

I'm starting to question AM's drive and compete level though. He's got stunning talent, and maybe he just "is who he is" and is at his personal peak, but it sure looks like he could be better if he tried harder.

We got an excellent FOA pick in him, but so far he's a level down from a Gretz/Sid/Connor impact kind of guy. We shall see......
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

Marner is not travelling to Chicago. Tough break for the Leafs.

Great break for the Leafs. Maybe it will force them to learn to play a complete game instead of relying solely on a core of superstars to win a few games.
                          In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                          and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

• Originally posted by Fredk View Post

Great break for the Leafs. Maybe it will force them to learn to play a complete game instead of relying solely on a core of superstars to win a few games.
                            MM hasn’t missed much time so we’ll see who’s made of what the next little while. I think that’s a high ankle sprain and he doesn’t feel very good this morning. JMO
                            Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                            Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
                            Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
                            Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
                            Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
                            Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                            Ping Hoofer

Comment

MM hasn’t missed much time so we’ll see who’s made of what the next little while. I think that’s a high ankle sprain and he doesn’t feel very good this morning. JMO
                              I'll bet ya it's a "lower body injury"

from seeing it happen , it does looks like a mechanism for high ankle sprain although his knee was twisted under and back too. Also possible , albeit less likely, that he fractured his fibula ( boot top fracture) . He did go out and take some turns etc in a tv time out so hopefully nothing too serious
                              Last edited by Weirfan; Nov 10, 2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Marner the way he fell reminded me of the time Roman Polak went down a couple of years ago. that was a bad one for Polak.
                                Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                                Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                                Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                                Ping G400 4H - 22*
                                Ping G400 5 - UW
                                Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                                Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                                Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                                Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X