Collapse

Wet'Suwet'En Protests

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheSaxemachine View Post

This is such a bad take. Do you have to be a member of a particular community to show solidarity? Non-blacks marches with MLK. Men marched with the suffragettes.
    No, but if you are a paid protester should anyone listen to you?

Comment

Originally posted by golfinseb View Post
      Many years ago an agreement was made to govern this country as equals. Is there a golf nut on this board who has a living memory of this agreement being honored?

​​​
      Are the wet ‘suwet’en honouring their agreements? Thought we had one with their democratically elected leaders. Then it turned out we didn’t - that there is a whole new leadership group we should “negotiate” with. Oh wait, maybe they don’t represent us either....

Point is, normal negotiations are fraught with peril, inconsistency, difficult to enforce, etc.

Moreover, if indigenous protestors, together with their enviro - brethren believe they can shut down the country with illegal protests at transportation choke points, the country is screwed. The federal government and its feather brained proclamations that climate change is the number one priority only emboldens these ding dongs to further illegal action.

Summary. We are truly screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerunner View Post
        So, you’re telling me that non-aboriginal environmentalists should have any say whether heritage chiefs have authority over elected aboriginal leaders?!?

Even many heritage chiefs are uncomfortable with these protests. Sadly, they may not even be able to call them off at this point due to the above becoming involved.

#shutdowncanada....guess that is what the heritage chiefs wanted all along?!?

bladerunner

No, I’m not telling you that. I’m not sure how you’re drawing that conclusion either. There are aboriginal protestors and there are allies to the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

No, but if you are a paid protester should anyone listen to you?
          Got any proof of this?

Comment

The conclusion I am drawing is that the “allies” or environmentalists are seizing on the opportunity here and will take control of these protests if they continue.

The root cause is a dispute between the heritage chiefs and the elected officials.

The environmentalists don’t care about that particular beef....they simply want to take the opportunity to protest and #shutdowncanada.

Unfortunately, this may require Trudeau to go against his base if he wants to end these protests quickly.

bladerunner

No, I’m not telling you that. I’m not sure how you’re drawing that

conclusion either. There are aboriginal protestors and there are allies to the cause.

Comment

This might be helpful for some. Band councils are colonial institutions.

WHAT ARE ELECTED BAND COUNCILS?

On the other hand, elected band councils -- as the title suggests -- are elected members of the community.

These councils were the result of the Indian Act, which was first established in 1876 and defined how the Canadian government interacts with Indigenous people. They were formed to impose a leadership structure that more resembled Canada’s system of governance.

“They don’t have the authority under the Indian Act to make decisions on traditional territory,” Pam Palmater, an Indigenous lawyer and the chair in Indigenous Governance at Ryerson University.”

Protests across the country in support of the Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs have prompted questions surrounding the difference between these chiefs and elected band councils -- and the answer is complicated.

Comment

Good Lord, we know we're in trouble when the university law professors are trotted out to quote 1870 aboriginal law.

Comment

Originally posted by par345 View Post
                  Good Lord, we know we're in trouble when the university law professors are trotted out to quote 1870 aboriginal law.
                  Do laws and treaties expire?

Comment

I also wondered about that. Some laws are pretty old, and they're still in effect.

I had trouble with the term "aboriginal law", since we're talking about the Indian Act, which is part of Canadian Law....

Maybe things need to change here though - this conflict between the Band Councils and the Hereditary Chiefs doesn't seem to be working out well. I'm surprised it hasn't come up a lot before now.
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Yes when a national emergency is in progress we move 1870 law aside ,fix the emergency then get back to the 1870 law to decide how to apply it.

Comment

Trudeau needs to act now for the survival of the economy of Canada and order the removal of the protesters. He won’t of course because it will make him look like a anti environmentalist on the world stage and his image is more important!
                        Driver: Wilson D200 (set at 9*),UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Stiff.
                        3W: Wilson D200,UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Reg.
                        7W: Taylor Made (that's it bought in 1986)
                        Irons: Ping I-irons Yellow Dot, 4-9 + W45*+ UW50*, CFS 70gram Graphite Reg.
                        Mack Daddy 60/10 Wedge
                        Putter: Ping Anser Beryllium Copper Putter (bought it in 1982)

Comment

From your article:

“What we’ve got to encourage right now, to resolve this, is to make sure the Wet'suwet'en peoples themselves get together,” he said. “Get together into their long houses, their big houses, and have the feasts and the ceremonies and have their laws and traditions govern how this is resolved.””

This is what I am arguing.

These people need to sort it out on their own. They do not need other environmentalists getting involved.

They also do not need to be blocking critical rail lines. Critical discussions are not occurring next to a rail line in Belleville.

bladerunner

This might be helpful for some. Band councils are colonial institutions.

WHAT ARE ELECTED BAND COUNCILS?

On the other hand, elected band councils -- as the title suggests -- are elected members of the community.

These councils were the result of the Indian Act, which was first established in 1876 and defined how the Canadian government interacts with Indigenous people. They were formed to impose a leadership structure that more resembled Canada’s system of governance.

“They don’t have the authority under the Indian Act to make decisions on traditional territory,” Pam Palmater, an Indigenous lawyer and the chair in Indigenous Governance at Ryerson University.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...zHCFYH1YLodxzA

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
                            Trudeau needs to act now for the survival of the economy of Canada and order the removal of the protesters. He won’t of course because it will make him look like a anti environmentalist on the world stage and his image is more important!
                            You’re only looking at this issue through one lens. You've also made clear in the past your views on indigenous rights, so I’m not really surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerunner View Post
                              From your article:

“What we’ve got to encourage right now, to resolve this, is to make sure the Wet'suwet'en peoples themselves get together,” he said. “Get together into their long houses, their big houses, and have the feasts and the ceremonies and have their laws and traditions govern how this is resolved.””

This is what I am arguing.

These people need to sort it out on their own. They do not need other environmentalists getting involved.

They also do not need to be blocking critical rail lines. Critical discussions are not occurring next to a rail line in Belleville.

bladerunner

It’s become a bigger issue. Climate change is a global catastrophe and people can’t manage to think beyond their own front yard.

Comment

Well, at least we know where you are coming from

bladerunner

It’s become a bigger issue. Climate change is a global catastrophe and people can’t manage to think beyond their own front yard.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X