No announcement yet.
Collapse

The Panic over the CoronaVirus [ Covid -19] is both Ridiculous and Unjustifed

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not sure that you’re making a useful distinction here.

Influenza kills every year via viral pneumonia, secondary bacterial pneumonia, secondary bacteremia, SIRS etc.

From what I’ve read, COVID-19 kills in the same way. Old individuals with comorbities can’t survive the pneumonias and younger ones don’t survive SIRS and complete organ shutdown. This is no different in how influenza leads to deaths in elderly and healthy young people every year.

The JAMA article shows that the elderly are at much higher risk.

bladerunner

Originally posted by SingleWalking View Post
    The regular influenza kills but not exactly the same way as covid-19. This Covid-19 seems to kill even the supposedly more healthy age groups. You will have to have some underlying conditions before your lungs will start getting patches in CT, most normal flu won't get you there. Lung cancer or lung metastatic can but you don't get those in the air.

I think we should be glad we don't have the widespread surgical masks wearing thing yet. 3 weeks ago I was on a business trip to west coast, almost no one wear masks. There are few airport staff and couple of passengers (not all Asians) have them on, and they got their strange looks as expected. By wearing a mask these days you are bound to get strange looks. The incident at Quebec City yesterday where the family of 5 (not Asians0 with a young toddler with a cold get booted off an Air Transat flight because the toddler has fever and cough. That unfortunately could be the new norm for a while. Even if you are choking because food/drink gone down the wrong pipe will get you dirty looks or worse. For those who booked March Break trips, I wonder what will happen if someone in the group coughs before boarding / takeoff, will the whole group be kicked off?

My daughter went with her school to Morocco couple weeks ago for some Round Square conference. She (Chinese) and another classmate who is also Chinese got asked strange questions at Morocco immigration when they got there. Both were born in Canada but they got asked where their parents were born!!!!! They were allowed to go in but I guess that kind of

harassment is acceptable these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerunner View Post
      I’m not sure that you’re making a useful distinction here.

Influenza kills every year via viral pneumonia, secondary bacterial pneumonia, secondary bacteremia, SIRS etc.

From what I’ve read, COVID-19 kills in the same way. Old individuals with comorbities can’t survive the pneumonias and younger ones don’t survive SIRS and complete organ shutdown. This is no different in how influenza leads to deaths in elderly and healthy young people every year.

The JAMA article shows that the elderly are at much higher risk.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2762130

bladerunner

Thanks for posting the study, I try to read Jama and Lancet regularly but somehow missed this one
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

That is a terrible comparison.

The Spanish Flu had an estimated case fatality rate between 10 and 20%.

That is likely 10 times higher than COVID19.

We were not very good with droplet protection or ventilator use back then. Penicillin had not even been discovered yet!

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

That's a great comparison.

1/4 of the world infected. 50 million deaths.

And that was before air travel.....

Comment

Dow Jones down 3000 points since 3 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
            The markets were way overbought , something was going to trigger a much needed pullback of 10% or so, albeit this pullback could be 20-30%....just a buying opportunity for those of us on the sidelines. My recently purchased gold etf is doing quite ok.....too bad i didnt put more in

Comment

Trump has assured his supporters that there's nothing to worry about. It's really much ado about nothing - just a stir created by the Dems to make him look bad.

Our Health Minister is adopting a more cautious approach.

Health Minister Patty Hajdu is encouraging Canadians to stockpile food and medication in their homes in case they or a loved one should fall ill with the novel coronavirus, despite the relatively low risk of contracting the disease in Canada.

Meanwhile, the aviation industry figures that if this problem continues through to the summer, cancelled flights will cost their industry some $30 billion dollars .

This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

No US government communications re coronavirus unless it goes through Pence first.

Comment

Agreed. However it is another sign of panic.

I think this will look like a great buying opportunity in retrospect. I expect an emergency Fed rate cut will fuel the market higher once the scare is over.

Timing everything is very difficult however so better to dollar cost average. If China declares victory in 6 weeks, I suspect you’d see a couple 500+ point up days in a row.

bladerunner

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

The markets were way overbought , something was going to trigger a much needed pullback of 10% or so, albeit this pullback could be 20-30%....just a buying opportunity for those of us on the

sidelines. My recently purchased gold etf is doing quite ok.....too bad i didnt put more in

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post
                    saw this posted this morning. Don't know who this Dr is but I am going to get me some high strength oil of Oregano

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Reminds me of this one:

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post
                      saw this posted this morning. Don't know who this Dr is but I am going to get me some high strength oil of Oregano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OfL...dFhnJ32vNGJ3U0
                      A month or so ago a doc friend of mine posted an article written by cellular scientists indicating that 3000 mg of Vit C and a couple 1000UI of Vitamin D , and there was another which I forget, could serve to help mitigate covid-19 contraction and severity. Being of a science background I was a bit skepical and challenged and questioned the large amounts of Vit C ( which is water-soluble and the body can only absorb so much and took some heat for that.

I didn't follow the advice , however in fall and winter months I take 500mg of C and 1000UI of Vitamin D3 daily anyways
                      Last edited by Weirfan; Feb 27, 2020, 04:42 PM.

Comment

A month or so ago a doc friend of mine posted an article written by cellular scientists indicating that 3000 mg of Vit C and a couple 1000UI of Vitamin D , and there was another which I forget, could serve to help mitigate covid-19 contraction and severity. Being of a science background I was a bit skepical and challenged and questioned the large amounts of Vit C ( which is water-soluble and the body can only absorb so much and took some heat for that.

I didn't follow the advice , however in fall and winter months I take 500mg of C and 1000UI of Vitamin D3 daily anyways
                        You can take grams yes grams intravenously

"The Older I Get...
                        The Longer My Drives Used To Be."
                        Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y

Comment

Apparently the near 1200 points is a record for one day.

That Trump presser yesterday didn't calm the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Seeker View Post

You can take grams yes grams intravenously
                            I imagine you can, and maybe that increase levels in the body faster but wouldn't most be peed out , so why ?
                            Last edited by Weirfan; Feb 27, 2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I imagine you can, and maybe that increase levels in the body faster but wouldn't most be peed out , so why ?
                              What's that bit about Americans having the most expensive urine in the world?

Yet, despite my skepticism I still take a handful of Cold-FX when I feel a cold coming on, so who am I to judge?
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Apparently the near 1200 points is a record for one day.

In absolute terms, yes, but the DJ is at historic highs.

in %age terms it doesn't even come close , not even in the top 25 worst single day drops.

october 19, 1987 the Dow dropped 22.6%, in 2008 we had 3 daily drops over 7%. The 20th biggest drop was 6.91%......the 1200 point drop the other day was a mere 4. Odd %

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                                X