Collapse

The Panic over the CoronaVirus [ Covid -19] is both Ridiculous and Unjustifed

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Actually the projections issued by Quebec back in the spring are now surprisingly accurate regarding deaths, however their projections were for the end of April rather than for mid October..

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-p...l-30-1.4886819

As of October 15th there were 9,699 COVID related deaths in all of Canada. 6,005 of those in Quebec.

Therefore the most useful study would probably be to compare the differences in government interventions between Quebec and its neighbouring provinces.

Atlantic Canada was fairly successful in implementing a strict 'bubble'.

Quebec was however one of the first provinces to re-open bars & restaurants (June 15) and schools (many in May).
    AD, The bold above is kind of a redundant statement. Basically the projections were not at all accurate. Hitting a number 6 months later is not exactly accurate.

The Italic above is probably why they are hitting higher numbers now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
      The disruption to business activities, including the requirement to send staff home and perform a deep cleaning if one of the staff does test positive is perhaps even worse than if we were to close down for one or two weeks and then resume 'normal' operations.
      How long were we in the first wave and we now have all these precautions that need to be taken. What makes you believe 1-2 weeks or even a month is going to make the paperwork go away.

I suspect you wouldn't be in favor of none of the time consuming procedures now in the work place with the risk of covid still present anyways. It's not going anywhere anytime soon so hopefully your work can become more efficient at it. A lot of us have been doing the same things since well before the summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoooSIRIUS View Post

How long were we in the first wave and we now have all these precautions that need to be taken. What makes you believe 1-2 weeks or even a month is going to make the paperwork go away.

I suspect you wouldn't be in favor of none of the time consuming procedures now in the work place with the risk of covid still present anyways. It's not going anywhere anytime soon so hopefully your work can become more efficient at it. A lot of us have been doing the same things since well before the summer.
        Our efficiency is not overly impacted by administrative costs. We are a manufacturing environment and the cost per unit produced is greatly impacted by the other factors. Primarily disruptions in our supply chain, and decreased orders that increase the cost of production per unit. Also there is the issue of workers having to wear masks in addition to their regular PPE.

Comment

• Serious question. What constitutes “exposure” to the virus? Toronto public health has clear guidelines on what do do if “exposed” to the virus - 14 day quarantine which can be stopped after receiving a negative test. Little in the way of defining exposure. Two examples involving friends.

1. Friend gets a notification from the covid app that she has been in contact with someone reporting a positive test. She has had little contact with anyone outside of immediate family none of her (few) contacts have mentioned a positive test (all were asked). She went into quarantine until she and her husband got negative results. Is this the right reaction?

2. Another friend plays golf in a foursome with friends- including a beer together on an outdoor patio. 6 days later one member of the group gets a positive test - from a private testing service related to a new job (no symptoms). Is this “exposure”? 14 days quarantine or until negative test result? He is currently observing quarantine pending getting a test appointment and is hoping his employer is sympathetic.

Comment

• Regarding #1 above, my wife is in a very similar situation.

Got the alert on the app on Thursday, went for a test at Sunnybrook on Friday, results ETA 48hrs.

She was told she had to quarantine for 14 days EVEN IF the results are negative.

Like your friend, she's been very careful about spending any time with people outside the bubble. We did spend 4 hours in the car with her brother a week ago, but he hasn't tested positive. She did take her phone in for a new battery and it was in the shop for about 30 minutes. I suspect that was the cause of the alert.
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
              Regarding #1 above, my wife is in a very similar situation.

Got the alert on the app on Thursday, went for a test at Sunnybrook on Friday, results ETA 48hrs.

She was told she had to quarantine for 14 days EVEN IF the results are negative.

Like your friend, she's been very careful about spending any time with people outside the bubble. We did spend 4 hours in the car with her brother a week ago, but he hasn't tested positive. She did take her phone in for a new battery and it was in the shop for about 30 minutes. I suspect that was the cause of the alert.
              Why quarantine after negative result? That sounds very odd. Enough of a reason to encourage the deletion of the app.

Comment

• When I got my first test , they said that I was not considered to be exposed so did not have to isolate/quarantine. My exposure to the individual who tested positive was outdoors and brief ( 2 times one day for less than 30 seconds and at a distance of 5-6 feet) I did however self isolate in my part of the house and took extra cleaning precautions, wore a mask if I left my part of the house until my result came back ( which took 36 hours)

I did ask some questions to the nurse and physician in charge. They said that the virus is airborne and transmission is only that way ( you cannot catch the virus from a surface). I subsequently searched and could not find any studies or solid evidence of any individual contracting the virus from a surface. With regards to airborne exposure they did speak to viral load and that exposure to an infected person would have to be prolonged or in an enclosed area.
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

Why quarantine after negative result? That sounds very odd. Enough of a reason to encourage the deletion of the app.
                  Those were pretty much my exact words when she told me.

I don't see any point in deleting the app, it's still useful for contact tracing, and is now the only means we have, even if it has some warts....

Update: My wife just got her results (negative) only some 19 hours after her test, so that's good.

We've been pretty careful so far in minimizing contact, and I think we'll carry on on that same path. If it warms up, I can see a final round of the year in fall in our future.
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Serious question. What constitutes “exposure” to the virus? Toronto public health has clear guidelines on what do do if “exposed” to the virus - 14 day quarantine which can be stopped after receiving a negative test. Little in the way of defining exposure. Two examples involving friends.

1. Friend gets a notification from the covid app that she has been in contact with someone reporting a positive test. She has had little contact with anyone outside of immediate family none of her (few) contacts have mentioned a positive test (all were asked). She went into quarantine until she and her husband got negative results. Is this the right reaction?

2. Another friend plays golf in a foursome with friends- including a beer together on an outdoor patio. 6 days later one member of the group gets a positive test - from a private testing service related to a new job (no symptoms). Is this “exposure”? 14 days quarantine or until negative test result? He is currently observing quarantine pending getting a test appointment and is hoping his employer is sympathetic.
                    In both cases isolating is the appropriate course of action to prevent spreading the disease.

Regarding isolating after a negative test, you would not test positive until the viral load in your own system was high enough to be detected. A negative test does not absolutely mean that you are not infected. You might just not be infected enough to produce a positive test yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                      In both cases isolating is the appropriate course of action to prevent spreading the disease.

Regarding isolating after a negative test, you would not test positive until the viral load in your own system was high enough to be detected. A negative test does not absolutely mean that you are not infected. You might just not be infected enough to produce a positive test yet.
                      Yeah, but..... the process just seems off.

Why install the app and go for the test if a negative result means you should quarantine?

The app makes sense to me - if it goes off you quarantine. But getting tested and ignoring the results? As Manuel would say: "Qué?"
                      ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

That makes sense, thanks. Raises a few more questions in my mind. For my friend in .case 2 - how long should the “look back” period be? What if he had played golf 2 weeks ago with someone who tested positive yesterday? A month ago? Second, should my friends wife and kids also be tested and self isolating for 14 days? Their contacts? Are there any guidelines out there?

Comment

That makes sense, thanks. Raises a few more questions in my mind. For my friend in .case 2 - how long should the “look back” period be? What if he had played golf 2 weeks ago with someone who tested positive yesterday? A month ago? Second, should my friends wife and kids also be tested and self isolating for 14 days? Their contacts? Are there any guidelines out there?
                          This is where I find it gets really confusing. It seems we've all heard so many different versions of what we're supposed to do.
                          We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                          Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                          Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                          Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                          Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                          Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                          Srixon Star XV
                          Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Experimental vaccines are available in Zhejiang province of China according to local reports. Not for widespread distribution as yet. But foreigners can apply.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Update: My wife just got her results (negative) only some 19 hours after her test, so that's good.

We've been pretty careful so far in minimizing contact, and I think we'll carry on on that same path. If it warms up, I can see a final round of the year in fall in our future.
                              Thank goodness for that.

My experience, previously related.

Had a preliminary interview with a prospective contractor. Both of us wearing .masks. Social distancing observed. Interview was less than 15 minutes.

Days later she notifies me that one of her friends/relatives has tested positive and that she is required to be tested.

I contacted Public Health who were very good. Informed me that I had what is considered to be a 'low' risk contact. And to monitor myself for symptoms. Low risk due to both being masked, distance kept and short time period of contact.

Thankfully my 'contacts' test returned a negative result.

Comment

If he golfed with someone 2 weeks ago, didn’t see them again and they only tested positive yesterday then it is so highly unlikely the person had it when you friend golfed with him and I would think he need either a test or isolation.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X