Collapse

The new Toronto Photo Radars

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Toronto Photo Radars

Does this sound right? You can get a fine for going over 1kms? Anyone have further info on this?

An individual caught speeding between 1 and 19 km/h over the posted speed limit will receive a set fine of $5 per kilometre. If travelling between 20 and 29 km/h over the posted speed limit, the set fine will be $7.50 per kilometre. For anything between 30 and 49 km/h over the limit, the set fine will be $12 per kilometre,” the city said in a press release. “For example, if a vehicle is detected speeding 49 km/h over the posted speed limit, the total payable fine amount would be $718. This includes a set fine of $588, a victim surcharge of $125 and $5 in applicable court costs,” according to the press release.

Toronto's photo radar cameras are set to begin issuing tickets to speeding drivers starting July 6, the city says.
    Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
    Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

I find it ridiculous, but at least these are predominantly school zones and not main arteries. 1 km, good luck watching your speedometer qt 39 vs. The road....

I know speed traps on our 50 km street that extends for 15 kms (straight line no curves). Driving 50 is excruciating.

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
      I find it ridiculous, but at least these are predominantly school zones and not main arteries. 1 km, good luck watching your speedometer qt 39 vs. The road....

I know speed traps on our 50 km street that extends for 15 kms (straight line no curves). Driving 50 is excruciating.
      And if I get a ticket for driving 1km over the posted limit then that becomes a SPEEDING VIOLATION. And according to Insurance Underwriters I am a SPEEDER who has not learned my lesson in getting speeding tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post

Lets have people look at the speedo constantly.... Seems safe

Comment

Originally posted by trunckslammer1 View Post

And if I get a ticket for driving 1km over the posted limit then that becomes a SPEEDING VIOLATION. And according to Insurance Underwriters I am a SPEEDER who has not learned my lesson in getting speeding tickets.
          Unless something has changed, with photo-radar/red light cameras etc, there is no effect on your driving record because they can't prove who was driving the car. It is just a fine for the owner of the car.
          What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
          TM Rescue 17*
          TM M2 4-AW
          TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
          Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

From that article, two things stood out to me:

They've already issued 140,000 warning letters. Has anyone here gotten one?

The most active camera is on Caledonia at Rogers Rd. I used to commute on that route almost daily. I wasn't aware of much significant speeding there, not during rush hours.

However, if 41kmh becomes "speeding", then I'm surprised I haven't gotten a letter.

Having received a hefty photo-radar ticket in Switzerland last year, their system seemed better designed. The first 5 kmh were "free" - so you don't have to keep an exact eye on the speedo all the time. Then it kicked in and fairly hard. I don't remember the exact numbers but it hurt. As a result, people really don't speed in the very well marked photo zones. My ticket was a "rookie error".
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

There will always besome drivers ready to pay to make up for their CERB. LOl
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I know these dont work on city streets bit i did like them on the hiway. https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/towardsze..._safety_camera

Comment

If it ends up anything like we have here, you get a bit of a cushion.

It used to be 7km over was the threshold, that's now down to 6. I've had 3 tickets in 15 years, all 7 over. it's pure revenue raising and nothing to do with safety.

The fine is issued to the registered owner of the vehicle and has a photo of the driver. The driver either pays the fine or fills out a declaration to state who the actual driver was and the fine is re-issued. The fines go on to your driving record.

Comment

I would have rather they use speed bumps to slow down the cars in the school zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                      I would have rather they use speed bumps to slow down the cars in the school zone.
                      One costs money, the other generates revenue.....

Comment

They are definitely a cash cow..when I lived in Edmonton a fined driver challenged
                        the accuracy of their machine/ location..it was proven inaccurate..all fines for the
                        previous 6 months had to be refunded..over $20 million..the city cried because
                        their budget took a hit..lol

Comment

Originally posted by northernpro View Post
                          They are definitely a cash cow..when I lived in Edmonton a fined driver challenged
                          the accuracy of their machine/ location..it was proven inaccurate..all fines for the
                          previous 6 months had to be refunded..over $20 million..the city cried because
                          their budget took a hit..lol
                          The government here argues that they are saving lives.

However, the operators park the portable ones in the most obscure places that you don't realize you've passed one until a month down the track when you receive a ticket in the mail.

There were a couple Facebook groups, one entitled "Revenue Raisers Resistance" where the members would actually go out to the road, a few hundred metres ahead of the cameras and hold up homemade signs informing drivers that there was a camera ahead. I haven't seen them for a while (it was deemed legal as long as they weren't physically blocking the cameras), but you still see homemade signs attached to road signs, etc, warning you what lies ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by trunckslammer1 View Post

Photo radar tickets the vehicle plate, not the driver, as@AceintheHazard posted.

Unless someone decides to 'fight' the ticket. Then the driver has to identify themself and the ticket if upheld will be assessed to them.

As to the accuracy of photo radar. The father of a friend of mine, was one of the original inventors of mobile radar, while working with the RAF and then the RCAF.

When he received a speeding ticket, he would show up with a suitcase full of documentation and request a quick private meeting/recess from the JP/Deputy Judge with the Crown. He would present his bona fides and documentation proving just how inaccurate/unreliable it was in an urban and/or ground based landscape. Then conclude by stating that based on this the Crown could proceed, resulting in his acquital and the dropping of every other ticket in the province, or just let him leave quietly.

He never received a conviction.
                            Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Jul 6, 2020, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Photo radar tickets the vehicle plate, not the driver, as@AceintheHazard posted.

Unless someone decides to 'fight' the ticket. Then the driver has to identify themself and the ticket if upheld will be assessed to them.

As to the accuracy of photo radar. The father of a friend of mine, was one of the original inventors of mobile radar, while working with the RAF and then the RCAF.

When he received a speeding ticket, he would show up with a suitcase full of documentation and request a quick private meeting/recess from the JP/Deputy Judge with the Crown. He would present his bona fides and documentation proving just how inaccurate/unreliable it was in an urban and/or ground based landscape. Then conclude by stating that based on this the Crown could proceed, resulting in his acquital and the dropping of every other ticket in the province, or just let him leave quietly.

He never received a conviction.

It is a money grab pure & simple.

Same with Red Light cameras too that ticket those making a right turn if they pull out into intersection too much without making a full stop & waiting the requisite time. Went to court & showed I stopped, just not long enough. Prosecutor told me if I want through with it, I'd be found guilty so better to pay the reduced charge of $150 (or so) vs. $225....

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X