Collapse

Vinyl Liner Replacement for Inground Pool

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Liner Replacement for Inground Pool

My vinyl liner is over 20 years old and although there are no leaks below the water line, there are now three tears in the corners that face the sun all day long. I patched two last year (which look like crap) and the third one just miraculously appeared this week. So suffice it to say, I think this liner is done and time to get a new one. We're going to be in this house for at least another 7 or 8 years, so I don't think there is any point trying to prolong the inevitable.

Can anyone recommend a good contractor for replacing the liner? Its a 18 x 36 Lazy L pool. Any tips and/or pitfalls that I should know about like when is the best time to do it (spring before openning, summer, or late fall before closing), recommended thickness, and any other things like that?

Many thanks.
    Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post
    My vinyl liner is over 20 years old and although there are no leaks below the water line, there are now three tears in the corners that face the sun all day long. I patched two last year (which look like crap) and the third one just miraculously appeared this week. So suffice it to say, I think this liner is done and time to get a new one. We're going to be in this house for at least another 7 or 8 years, so I don't think there is any point trying to prolong the inevitable.

Can anyone recommend a good contractor for replacing the liner? Its a 18 x 36 Lazy L pool. Any tips and/or pitfalls that I should know about like when is the best time to do it (spring before openning, summer, or late fall before closing), recommended thickness, and any other things like that?

Many thanks.
    I can't comment on contractors to use, but both of my neighbours recently had their liners replaced and it took forever to get them in. Anything pool related is mostly sold out now, and demand is still sky high for building new pools. Your schedule may end up being determined by when a liner can be made, and a contractor should know that info. Normally I think they suggest replacing liners in the spring. If you haven't replaced one before, prepare yourself as they are not cheap. I have an 18' x 36' rectangle with a 9'+ deep end, and we chose a liner that was on sale, but it still cost us almost $5k. My neighbour just did his similarly sized (but kidney) liner and stairs, and it was close to $9k I think.
    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
    Srixon Star XV
    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I had an inground 18x36 pool for about 10 years but a long time ago now. Original liner was 20 years old, but was 40mm thick. The replacement was 30mm which I expect is standard. Mine started to pull in a corner and made the decision to order one to be installed the following spring. Back then it was not anywhere near the prices quoted, but that's irrelevant. I would concur that if staying for a number of years, you have to bite the bullet and may as well "band aid" yours for the rest of the season. Talk to the pool contractors this year while the pool is open so they can do the measurements. And get a second quote if you are uneasy at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

I can't comment on contractors to use, but both of my neighbours recently had their liners replaced and it took forever to get them in. Anything pool related is mostly sold out now, and demand is still sky high for building new pools.
        Yup 3 neighbors ordered pools/swim spa after the lockdown and the earliest one I heard was a September install date......

In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
        Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
        Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
        Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
        Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
        Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
        Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
        --------
        Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post

Yup 3 neighbors ordered pools/swim spa after the lockdown and the earliest one I heard was a September install date......
          Yeah, at this rate they make be taking orders now for next spring installations.

Srixon Star XV
          Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

Yeah, at this rate they make be taking orders now for next spring installations.
            Interesting. One would think with economic uncertainty that large spends like this that do not add resale value to a home would be put on the back burner. Great to hear that some businesses are doing very well.

Comment

Originally posted by 68shark View Post

Interesting. One would think with economic uncertainty that large spends like this that do not add resale value to a home would be put on the back burner. Great to hear that some businesses are doing very well.
              People are realizing that their travel/vacation plans may not happen for a couple of years. Talked to a RE Broker friend of mine last week who said that waterfront cottage sales in Kawartha are waaaaay up over last year. Like 50% up. Most are selling in 24-48 hrs right now.

Srixon Star XV
              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews