/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 - 2021 Thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 - 2021 Thread

Time to start a new thread, I’m as optimistic as I’ve been every other season.
    WITB

D: PING G410 Plus 9*
    F: PING G25 16.5*
    H: PING G400 19* & 22*
    I: PING G400 5 - PW
    W: Cleveland CBX2 50*- 54*- 58*
    P: PING Anser 1966 TR

At this point I'll be thrilled if they even have a season.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
      At this point I'll be thrilled if they even have a season.
      It is entirely possible there won't be. It is pretty much a certainty there wont be fans in the seats , at least not in Canada.

if there is a regular season it will undoubtedly be shortened ( 48-60 games would be my guess) with hopefully a full and "regular" playoff format. Depends on when they start , ideally January 1st but that might be unrealistic. The later the start the more games per week to be played so to me that means they may have to perform some form of divisional realignment to minimize travel. Will the US/Canadian border be open ? If so Will it stay open? I cannot see a whole season working by playing in bubbles. Will the 7 Canadian teams use a US located home facility ? ( like the Jays did ) Hard time seeing that. That is why I suggested earlier it is not unreasonable that we see a 7 team all Canadian division and even a playoffs with that alignment then back to the playoff bubbles if need be in the spring.

of course this is all just my wild speculation. I'm sure Bettman and the owners have a plan and desperately want fans in the seats and as much normal as possible. Just not sure how realistic that is with the current situation of the virus which is not going in the right direction.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Vegas GM when asked about trading within his division said the other day "it doesn't matter, he'll be in the Canada division next season". What a season that would be if every game was 2 Canadian teams, I can only imagine the rivalries created during a season long division based bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

It is entirely possible there won't be. It is pretty much a certainty there wont be fans in the seats , at least not in Canada.

if there is a regular season it will undoubtedly be shortened ( 48-60 games would be my guess) with hopefully a full and "regular" playoff format. Depends on when they start , ideally January 1st but that might be unrealistic. The later the start the more games per week to be played so to me that means they may have to perform some form of divisional realignment to minimize travel. Will the US/Canadian border be open ? If so Will it stay open? I cannot see a whole season working by playing in bubbles. Will the 7 Canadian teams use a US located home facility ? ( like the Jays did ) Hard time seeing that. That is why I suggested earlier it is not unreasonable that we see a 7 team all Canadian division and even a playoffs with that alignment then back to the playoff bubbles if need be in the spring.

of course this is all just my wild speculation. I'm sure Bettman and the owners have a plan and desperately want fans in the seats and as much normal as possible. Just not sure how realistic that is with the current situation of the virus which is not going in the right direction.
          I suspect that it will be a shortened season too, with a U.S. conference (multiple divisions) and a Canadian division . They can't run too far into the summer, because if I recall, they plan to go to the Olympics next summer(?) , although even if they aren't going they won't want to run up against them on TV. Besides, running too far into the summer would jeopardize the 2021-22 season starting on time. How long or how much they are willing to play without fans in the stands is another huge factor.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

I suspect that it will be a shortened season too, with a U.S. conference (multiple divisions) and a Canadian division . They can't run too far into the summer, because if I recall, they plan to go to the Olympics next summer(?) , although even if they aren't going they won't want to run up against them on TV. Besides, running too far into the summer would jeopardize the 2021-22 season starting on time. How long or how much they are willing to play without fans in the stands is another huge factor.
            Forgot about the Olympics, Have to also question whether the world will be at a point that will all that event to happen

Comment

Joe Thornton on why he believes #Leafs can win: "I love their goalie. I like Freddie a lot. I think that was a big part of my decision, I think he's a great goalie."
              11:10 AM Oct 18, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

If that is the case they could start tomorrow.

The economics are the real question. We all know they played the playoffs to fulfill T.V. contracts, nothing else.

What plan causes them (the league, not the leafs) to loose the least money? Obviously they are delaying hoping to put some buts in seats, it's a gate driven league with only the Canadian national and a couple of local T.V. deals being significant at all. The rest are all likely better off not playing even though escrow will cause the players to take huge real dollar pay cuts. (anyone know what the max escrow % is?).

It's all about the money, players are mostly skating or about to skate on their own. (Could be some pretty darn good shinny in Aurora soon)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_135192.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	3254028
                  WITB

D: PING G410 Plus 9*
                  F: PING G25 16.5*
                  H: PING G400 19* & 22*
                  I: PING G400 5 - PW
                  W: Cleveland CBX2 50*- 54*- 58*
                  P: PING Anser 1966 TR

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post

If that is the case they could start tomorrow.

The economics are the real question. We all know they played the playoffs to fulfill T.V. contracts, nothing else.

What plan causes them (the league, not the leafs) to loose the least money? Obviously they are delaying hoping to put some buts in seats, it's a gate driven league with only the Canadian national and a couple of local T.V. deals being significant at all. The rest are all likely better off not playing even though escrow will cause the players to take huge real dollar pay cuts. (anyone know what the max escrow % is?).

It's all about the money, players are mostly skating or about to skate on their own. (Could be some pretty darn good shinny in Aurora soon)
                    During the last strike/lock-out it was the Pavilion. Jim Thompson was managing the rink then.

Comment

Well I can say for sure that NHL teams are at least planning for a season. We already shipped St. Louis some product since the playoffs and a large order is going to the NY Rangers this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                        Well I can say for sure that NHL teams are at least planning for a season. We already shipped St. Louis some product since the playoffs and a large order is going to the NY Rangers this week.
                        Very nice to hear Marty. Good luck, hope it continues. Do you also have lots of Junior teams? Not sure what will happen with these guys.
                        If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

So with the signing of Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian, Brodie and Dell and the re-signing of Spezza, is it worthwhile for the Leafs to 'roll the dice' and go for it now by offering Chara a contract?

That would certainly require the moving of at least one additional contract.

Historically the Leafs probably have the longest tradition of any NHL franchise of acquiring 'big name' players at or near the end of their careers. Some moves have worked better than others.

Bert Olmstead was instrumental in turning the franchise around by bringing in a 'winning attitude'.
                          Terry Sawchuk was instrumental in a Cup win. But the Leafs protected him instead of a young Gerry Cheevers.
                          Marcel Pronovost was also instrumental in a Cup win. But the Leafs protected him instead of a young Pat Stapleton.
                          Red Kelly was despite what some thought nowhere near finished when the Leafs obtained him. Nor was Allan Stanley. Or Johnnie Bower. All went on to long, successful careers in Toronto, after other teams had 'given up' on them.

Andy Bathgate and Don McKenny were key contributors to a Cup win. But both were gone by the end of the following season. And any Leaf of that era will tell you that the team gave up too much to acquire them.

Jacques Plante helped turn the team around and made Bernie Parent the best goalie of his generation.
                          Ed Litzenberger provided depth on a championship team.

Pierre Pilote could not help and cost too much.
                          Donnie Marshall and Rene Robert filled small roles on bad teams.
                          Dickie Moore tried but was not recovered from his knee injuries.

More recently these types of player acquisitions have largely been less successful.

Alex Mogilny, Gary Roberts, and Steve Thomas (his 2nd time with the team) all played well but could not add enough.
                          Curtis Joseph in his return was pretty much done.
                          Wendell Clark had 3 different terms in the blue and white.
                          The most tragic was Doug Gilmour's return when he suffered a career ending injury partway through is first game back.

In 2002-03 the Leafs had on their roster: Gilmour 39, Housley 38, Belfour 37, Roberts 36, Corson 36, Lumme 36, Mogilny 33, Wesley 33, Reichel 31 and Nolan 30 and could not get past the first round.

In 2003-04 they had Belfour, Roberts, Mogilny, Nolan, Reichel and added Francis 40, Nieuwendyk 36, Johansson 36, Leetch 35 and Marchment 34, and managed to make it only to the next round.
                          Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Oct 20, 2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                            Nice to hear of companies that are getting orders rolling in.

Comment

2 years, $1.645M per year for Mikheyev

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X