No announcement yet.
Collapse

Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 - 2021 Thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^^^ Berger ( i can take or leave) he raises some valid points. I think it is 50/50 Freddie will be resigned ( and I am not so sure about Rielly)

I don't think it is fair to blame Freddie for playoff losses of the Leafs . In every series they were not the favourite. The team simply was not as good as their opponents, then there were the Kadri suspensions .
    Freddie is .916 as a playoff Leaf. Vasilevskiy by comparison is .918 as a playoff goalie. Tampa has been a much better team IMO.

last year they were the favourite in the playoff qualifier Freddie was .936 with a shutout. Leafs scoring dried up and they were shutout twice in 5 games and only averaged 2 goals a game compared to the 3.5 or so/game they averaged in the reg season. Hard to point the finger at Freddie.

No sv% isnt everything and he has a tendency to give up a questionable goal after being brilliant. He may not have stolen any playoff series, but hard to say with any degree of veracity he was the reason they lost.

Leafs have a great opportunity this year with the North division. There is no reason to not expect them to win a round and they will be the heavy favourites to win the first 2 rounds. That might do it for a Freddie re-signing.
    Last edited by Weirfan; Feb 23, 2021, 02:37 PM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• I don't pay much , if any, attention to people like Berger & (especially) Yost. Freddie is a very god, not great, goalie IMO. I hope they re sign him, but it will depend on the market and what he asks for. I hope they sign Rielly too. Who else can they get to replace him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
        I don't pay much , if any, attention to people like Berger & (especially) Yost. Freddie is a very god, not great, goalie IMO. I hope they re sign him, but it will depend on the market and what he asks for. I hope they sign Rielly too. Who else can they get to replace him.
        What would Freddie want ? He's easily a top 10, maybe even top 5 goalie. 5-6-7 million ?
        Same with Rielly, what will he want ? Many say he is a #1 defence man. He is the 52nd highest paid dman in the league so should get a good raise and will want to be the Leafs highest paid dman ( now Muzzin at 5.625) so that probably means 6-6.5 million.

They are up a year apart ( Freddie this, MR next) but Not sure where the team will come up with the potential 10-12 million that could be needed to sign them both. Is it Too early to buy out JT
        I have a feeling that one will be traded.
        Last edited by Weirfan; Feb 23, 2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• The discussion mirrors the concerns about Andersen.

How has he done in Vezina voting?
          What about end of season all-star teams?
          How many series has he stolen?

In most playoff series he has appeared in it can be argued that Andersen was not the best goalie.

As for Save Percentage, when you make the save is sometimes more important. Gerry Cheevers, Billy Smith and Grant Fuhr were known for making saves in crucial situations and not 'buckling down' when things were not on the line.

Until the answers to 1-3 change, and until he can be counted on to outperform his opposing goalie in a series then he cannot be even in the discussion regarding being a 'great' goalie. What he is might be best described as a 'workhorse'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
            The discussion mirrors the concerns about Andersen.

How has he done in Vezina voting?
            What about end of season all-star teams?
            How many series has he stolen?

In most playoff series he has appeared in it can be argued that Andersen was not the best goalie.

As for Save Percentage, when you make the save is sometimes more important. Gerry Cheevers, Billy Smith and Grant Fuhr were known for making saves in crucial situations and not 'buckling down' when things were not on the line.

Until the answers to 1-3 change, and until he can be counted on to outperform his opposing goalie in a series then he cannot be even in the discussion regarding being a 'great' goalie. What he is might be best described as a 'workhorse'.
            I would say up until this year he has had not a team that is very defensively responsible.
            WITB

PING G410 Plus 9*
            PING G25 16.5*
            PING G400 19* & 22*
            PING G400 5 - PW
            GW ?
            Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
            PING Anser 1966 TR

Comment

• Freddie is in a situation where you can only bail your team out so much before it catches up too you. Has he stolen a playoff game or series. No but has he kept his team in them games and series Yes. You can only be so good when you’ve face the amount of quality chances he was facing in past years. Sometimes those ****** soft goals creep in but when you’ve made 4 or 5 or 6 grade A stops during that game there isn’t much you can do. You let In half of those grade A chance you lose by 2 or 3 instead of one and nobodies talking about that.

When your built to score and not defend you have to score so you can’t blame the not scoring on Freddie.
              Titleist TS3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
              TM M4 3wd w/ Fuji Speeder 857 TR X
              Callaway BB Alpha 815 18-20 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
              Ping iBlades 4-PW w/ DGX100
              Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
              Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
              Ping Hoofer

Comment

• Berger needs to go away.

Re the Freddy argument. I think most agree he is good but can't be called great without playoff success.

The problem with the argument of the people saying get rid of him last off season is...... who do you have that is better?

Comment

• Originally posted by High cut View Post
                  Berger needs to go away.

Re the Freddy argument. I think most agree he is good but can't be called great without playoff success.

The problem with the argument of the people saying get rid of him last off season is...... who do you have that is better?
                  Do you try and pull Fleury out of Vegas for Anderson and the dead line?
                  Titleist TS3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                  TM M4 3wd w/ Fuji Speeder 857 TR X
                  Callaway BB Alpha 815 18-20 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
                  Ping iBlades 4-PW w/ DGX100
                  Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
                  Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                  Ping Hoofer

Comment

• Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post

Do you try and pull Fleury out of Vegas for Anderson and the dead line?
                    What's his cap hit and what do you have to give up?

Haven't watched him play at all this year, but that might be one of the few interesting names.

Comment

• Originally posted by High cut View Post

What's his cap hit and what do you have to give up?

Haven't watched him play at all this year, but that might be one of the few interesting names.
                      $7M this year and next. Not sure Vegas would give him up though, they are a legit cup contender this year and Lehner has been very average.
                      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

$7M this year and next. Not sure Vegas would give him up though, they are a legit cup contender this year and Lehner has been very average.
                        Plus he is described in Vegas as he was in Pitt as the team leader, Always positive. Apparently also the most interactive and loved VGN player by the city and fans. Doubt he would be moved before the end of his contract ( end of next season). I think he plays out his career in vegas.

and yes, VGN are the fav for the cup this year.

Vegas Golden Knights +700
                        Colorado Avalanche +750
                        Tampa Bay Lightning +750
                        Boston Bruins +800
                        Toronto Maple Leafs +1000
                        Montreal Canadiens

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

There were rumours he's going back to the Penguins. Unless they do something about the quarantine, it's going to be hard to make a trade to a US based team at the deadline. If Freddy plays bad in the playoffs, I would like to see Campbell get a shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

I would say up until this year he has had not a team that is very defensively responsible.
                            The early Oilers were anything but defensively responsible. They often left Fuhr to face breakaways and 2 on 1s. Stopping those was his specialty.

Here is another example from the article quoted below.

Felix Potvin vs. Chicago, 1994 first round
                            Potvin was basically the only reason Toronto won the series. Because while he allowed nine goals in his two losses (both on the road), he also won Games 2, 5, and 6 with 1-0 shutouts. Quite literally the only reason Toronto got out of the first round is that Potvin stopped all of those shots. They gave him almost nothing to work with, and he was like, “No worries guys.”
                            https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/puc...191533157.html

https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/04/23/pl...e-steve-penney

Comment

• Originally posted by wrigley View Post

There were rumours he's going back to the Penguins. Unless they do something about the quarantine, it's going to be hard to make a trade to a US based team at the deadline. If Freddy plays bad in the playoffs, I would like to see Campbell get a shot.
                              Campbell might get that shot but has only averaged 19 games played a season over the last 3 years. It's a big jump from a backup to starter and playing in the 60+ games that Freddie has. Leafs could possibly run a tandem, but who makes up the other 1/2...Hutch, Woll ? don't think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

The early Oilers were anything but defensively responsible. They often left Fuhr to face breakaways and 2 on 1s. Stopping those was his specialty.

Here is another example from the article quoted below.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/puc...191533157.html

https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/04/23/pl...e-steve-penney
                                From my memory, the one leaf goalie I didn't panic with on breakaways was Belfour.
                                WITB

PING G410 Plus 9*
                                PING G25 16.5*
                                PING G400 19* & 22*
                                PING G400 5 - PW
                                GW ?
                                Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
                                PING Anser 1966 TR

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse