Collapse

Toronto Blue Jays 2021

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Blue Jays 2021

Starting it now in anticipation of the 'upcoming' season.

It should be somewhat uncomfortable when The Star's Gregor Chisholm enters the Jays' clubhouse after he wrote this yesterday.

if a team inquires about Grichuk, they should jump at the opportunity to move him regardless of the return.
    In other news Lourdes Gurriel Jr is a Gold Glove finalist.

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
    Starting it now in anticipation of the 'upcoming' season.

It should be somewhat uncomfortable when The Star's Gregor Chisholm enters the Jays' clubhouse after he wrote this yesterday.

I'm really not a big Grichuk fan, and think there is a chance to upgrade there. There was some talk of the Jays as a potential landing place for George Springer.

In other news Lourdes Gurriel Jr is a Gold Glove finalist.
    I feel like I've been watching a different left fielder than whoever picked the finalists. If it were a long list, well, whatever. But it's a three player shortlist. I didn't think I was watching one of the three best left fielders in the AL this year. It could be an adventure out there, sometimes. Granted, MLB defence as a whole was spotty this year, so maybe the left-field pickings were slim -- I've been in more of a fishbowl this year than other years, so didn't see enough of competing left fielders. This, though, was a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
      I'm really not a big Grichuk fan, and think there is a chance to upgrade there. There was some talk of the Jays as a potential landing place for George Springer.

I feel like I've been watching a different left fielder than whoever picked the finalists. If it were a long list, well, whatever. But it's a three player shortlist. I didn't think I was watching one of the three best left fielders in the AL this year. It could be an adventure out there, sometimes. Granted, MLB defence as a whole was spotty this year, so maybe the left-field pickings were slim -- I've been in more of a fishbowl this year than other years, so didn't see enough of competing left fielders. This, though, was a surprise.
      Gurriel in the outfield reminds me of those goalies who make a miraculous save on what seems to be a sure goal and then whiff on an easy shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Gurriel in the outfield reminds me of those goalies who make a miraculous save on what seems to be a sure goal and then whiff on an easy shot.
        Yes. Or maybe a goalie who makes a miraculous save after being out of position. Gurriel has made a few fantastic grabs to save himself after misreading fly balls.

Comment

Some high priced and/or big names being bought out and/or let go.

Jays buy out Anderson. No surprise there as his contract would have been exorbitant.

Others being made available include.
          • Corey Kluber. Age 34 relatively inactive for the past 2 seasons.
          • Chris Archer: Age 32. Surgery last season. Ineffective the season prior to that.
          • Adam Eaton He is 31 and hasn't been good the past 4 seasons.
          • Wilson Ramos. Perhaps of some interest?
          • Kolten Wong. A decent/good infielder. However I believe that 2b is the best position for Biggio.
          • Roberto Osuna. Is there any chance of Toronto taking him back?
          • Darren O'Day. Coming off another good season. But he is 38. And not a favourite in Toronto.
          • Brad Hand. Now he is interesting. Led the league in saves this season. Has been consistently good. Is 'only' 30 years of age. With Giles effectively unavailable next season, should the Jays sign a 'proven' closer?
          Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Nov 1, 2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Although this year's free agent market is not great, according to Gregor Chisholm in The Star the Jays' should have lots of money to spend.

This year’s free-agent market is relatively weak, but it got better after club options were declined. Trevor Bauer is the top starter, followed by a secondary tier that includes Marcus Stroman, Chris Archer, James Paxton, Charlie Morton, Masahiro Tanaka, Taijuan Walker, Robbie Ray, and Kevin Gausman. A lot of decent options for a team that needs to add at least one, if not two, proven starters.

The intriguing options regarding position players via free agency include Kolten Wong, Marcus Semien, Didi Gregorius, Justin Turner, Andrelton Simmons and Korean import Ha-Seong Kim.

Toronto currently has just five players with guaranteed contracts for next season: Ryu, at $20 million (U.S.), Randal Grichuk ($10.3 million), Tanner Roark ($12 million), Lourdes Gurriel Jr. ($3.9 million) and Shun Yamaguchi ($3.2 million). Arbitration cases remain low with infielder Travis Shaw likely to be non-tendered, which leaves first-year eligible Teoscar Hernandez as the club’s most expensive option. The remainder, including almost the entire young core, are on cheap pre-arbitration deals.

A rough estimate of the projections pegs the Jays’ payroll for 2021 around $70-million to $75 million, per Cot’s Baseball Contracts. That’s well below the $112 million allocated for 2020 prior to the pandemic and a far cry from 2018 when Toronto ranked eighth with a payroll in excess of $160 million.
            https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluej...g-options.html

Edit:

As of November 2nd scratch Bauer, Stroman, and Gausman from the list. All have received qualifying offers from their teams. Also DJ LeMahieu and J.T. Realmuto.

Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Nov 2, 2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Jays resign Ray for one year at $8 million.

Think it is a good move. A hard throwing left hander with swing and miss stuff.

Yes he has trouble finding the strike zone, but:
              a) I have faith in Peter Walker being able to maximize Ray's potential
              b) hard throwing lefties traditionally take longer to mature. Think of the Big Unit or even Sandy Koufax. Both took a while to get into their groove. Yes Ray is older than they were when they became dominant. But let's be optimistic.

No should they resign Walker? I believe that they should at least make a strong effort to. And should not be outbid by small or midsized market teams.

Comment

I would re-sign Taijuan Walker. I'd also add another arm to the rotation. Paxton is a possibility, depending on his health. It would be two years in a row of adding a Boras client.

There's speculation that the Ray signing is an indication that the Jays plan to spend this offseason. If that's the case, they may be in the minority of teams doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
                  I would re-sign Taijuan Walker. I'd also add another arm to the rotation. Paxton is a possibility, depending on his health. It would be two years in a row of adding a Boras client.

There's speculation that the Ray signing is an indication that the Jays plan to spend this offseason. If that's the case, they may be in the minority of teams doing so.
                  With a team that made the playoffs last season.
                  And a group of young players who should improve/be improving.

Then if the Jays do take advantage of this 'slow' market and add some 'impact' talent, they may be able to make a strong run this coming season.

Would like to see Big Maple as a Jay if he is healthy and able to return to form.

Jays current roster needs, perhaps in reverse order?
                  1. Another closer/set-up man?
                  2. An (defensive) upgrade in centre field?
                  3. One or two more arms capable of starting?
                  4. An everyday 3rd baseman? Preferably one who is a left handed bat.

Comment

Some of us noted when the season started that Vlad came back from shutdown carrying a lot more extra weight than he was in the spring. He later admitted to coming back in poor condition.

Since then, he's reportedly lost 32 pounds. He definitely looks like he's trimmed down quite a bit. I hope he can keep this up for the next three months.

Comment

Thanks PC . . . very interesting. So many exercise that we see in different sports. What I realized in the last 10 to 15 years, so much emphasized on balance . . . lots of balancing exercise that look easy but as you get tired they get so much harder. Really enjoyed this . . .

Did you recognized any other players?
                      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Let's hope that Vladdy sticks with the workout and diet regimen.

Currently the Jays starting rotation looks like Ryu, Pearson (and that is truly optimistic based on last season's performance), fill in the blank, Ray and Roark.

That is already a lot of 'ifs'.

Yes there are options on the roster. Those who also started games last year include Stripling, Merryweather, Zeuch, and Thornton.

So do the they sign a free agent, re-sign either Walker or Shoemaker, or do they gamble on promotion from within?
                        Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Nov 11, 2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                          Thanks PC . . . very interesting. So many exercise that we see in different sports. What I realized in the last 10 to 15 years, so much emphasized on balance . . . lots of balancing exercise that look easy but as you get tired they get so much harder. Really enjoyed this . . .

Did you recognized any other players?
                          I don't recognize anyone else. I'm guessing his cousin Gabriel is among them. I'm not sure who trains at that complex, though. I didn't see anyone who looks like a Blue Jay teammate.

They seemed to post these videos a lot a year ago when Vlad was taking off weight. I noticed during the lockdown that they only posted a couple of videos of him in a cage. I don't think there were many workouts going on.

Comment

Marcus Stroman has accepted the QO from the Mets, so a return to Toronto isn't on the horizon. I didn't think it was terribly likely anyway, given how furious he was with the team when he was traded.

Comment

Not Blue Jays news, but, in my opinion, huge MLB news: Kim Ng is reportedly the new GM of the Miami Marlins. She's the first female GM in major league history.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X