NHL 2020-2021 season

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL 2020-2021 season

Wow already November. Just throwing out some questions/ideas for feedback

What makes sense for a start date for the NHL season? Early January 2021 or other?

Playoff format stay expanded or go back to the regular format?

Some owners are talking, no fans shut the season down, they won't be profitable with no gate and concessions. We all know TV revenue isn't big time dollars for the NHL compared to other sports NBA NFL MLB.

Lastly Covid and border closed and eliminating cross border travel. It was easy to hide the Jays in Buffalo as 1 Canadian team, the NHL has 7. Are we looking at setting up an all Canadian team conference that exclusively plays only Canadian teams. Hell that would be cool IMO. What do you think?

There were reports of a Canadian Division for this season. It was confirmed by news of an AHL club moving across the border for one season due to their affiliation with one of our NHL teams. Don’t recall which team it was.

I hope they can start January. Not sure if you see posts I made elsewhere but we supply a lot of NHL teams. We have shipped orders out to both St. Louis and New York Ranger since the playoffs ended. Assuming they are starting to bring in stock for training camp. Our product is used by players, tape.

Comment

Without the means to get fans in the stadiums there won’t be a season.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Would like to see a Canadian Division.

There is even a trophy that is applicable to it and in the HOF, the O'Brien Trophy.
        From 1927–28 until 1937–38, it was awarded to the Canadian Division regular season champion.
        Gate revenue is certainly important.
        However if there are no games then the teams/league lose out on their television revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
          Would like to see a Canadian Division.

There is even a trophy that is applicable to it and in the HOF, the O'Brien Trophy.

Gate revenue is certainly important.
          However if there are no games then the teams/league lose out on their television revenue.
          Do you know if there is a cap on escrow?

If they play to empty buildings, what would revenue be? 20%, 30% of normal? Less?

Comment

No chance they play without fans in the seats....unless of course the players dexide to play for free.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              No chance they play without fans in the seats....unless of course the players dexide to play for free.
              What if the players decided to share the pain and play for something like 1/2 their salaries? Would that make the season profitable for everyone?

It's still millions for many/most of them, and it could keep the league operating and give the fans some entertainment. Even guys at the league minimum would be making $750k US * 1/2 * 1.31 = $493k CAD.

That is significantly above the national average salary. Like by about 10 times......

Nah, that's crazy talk.
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

What if the players decided to share the pain and play for something like 1/2 their salaries? Would that make the season profitable for everyone?

It's still millions for many/most of them, and it could keep the league operating and give the fans some entertainment. Even guys at the league minimum would be making $750k US * 1/2 * 1.31 = $493k CAD.

That is significantly above the national average salary. Like by about 10 times......

Nah, that's crazy talk.
                50% is still a huge loss for the league I would think. I don't know the true numbers but I would guess in arena revenue (not just ticket sales, merch, F/B etc.) would be somewhere around 70-80% of revenue.

If someone knows the real numbers, please jump in.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                  I wouldn't be surprised if they played a shortened season with few, if any fans because of TV comittments. I am still guessing a Canadian division, and 3 U.S. divisions, with the playoffs in bubbles.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they played a shortened season with few, if any fans because of TV comittments. I am still guessing a Canadian division, and 3 U.S. divisions, with the playoffs in bubbles.
                    I would.
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post

50% is still a huge loss for the league I would think. I don't know the true numbers but I would guess in arena revenue (not just ticket sales, merch, F/B etc.) would be somewhere around 70-80% of revenue.

If someone knows the real numbers, please jump in.
                      Here is a decent high level summary. Different teams have different economics (obviously). Canadian teams probably better able to weather the storm better than others. I don’t see a season starting without fans in the stands - a lot of fans.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

Here is a decent high level summary. Different teams have different economics (obviously). Canadian teams probably better able to weather the storm better than others. I don’t see a season starting without fans in the stands - a lot of fans.

What are the fixed vs variable costs for the league? I presume the players don't get paid unless there is a season. What about all the staff?
                        In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post

What are the fixed vs variable costs for the league? I presume the players don't get paid unless there is a season. What about all the staff?
                          What about those players who signed contracts stipulate that they get bonuses for this year with low salaries? I wonder if they get paid anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

What about those players who signed contracts stipulate that they get bonuses for this year with low salaries? I wonder if they get paid anyway.
                            this might help...also keep in mind many players, especially on the Leafs received most of their salary in huge signing bonuses....that is already banked, spent etc

"The NHL continued to pay player salaries but has the right to reclaim salaries and payments even after they are paid. A provision of the CBA gives the owners the ability to reduce player salaries in the event that the league has to suspend or reduce operations due to “a state of war or other cause beyond the control of the League or of the Club.” NHL players did not receive their final paycheck for the regular season, which was due on April 15. The National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) deferred its decision on whether to receive the final checks due to the uncertainty caused by the pandemic.

If the full 82-game season is not played, players’ salaries can be decreased in proportion to the number of games canceled. The NHL’s CBA also has an escrow provision that provides for withholding a portion of player salaries when the owners’ share of hockey-related revenue falls under projections for the year. It should be noted that many star players receive significant amounts of compensation through signing bonuses, and these bonuses, which take the form of lump-sum payments, have to be paid out even if games are canceled due to COVID-19.

It is also noteworthy that there is a provision in the CBA stipulating that any money owed to the owners by the players in excess of what was collected in this season’s escrow holdback will come directly off what is owed to the players during the next season. Thus, COVID-19 could also have the effect of dramatically reducing the salary cap for the next season even if the current season were to be completed in arenas devoid of fans."
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

That helps, thanks.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X