Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

These boats are crazy. America's Cup 2021 has begun.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These boats are crazy. America's Cup 2021 has begun.

The first series of qualifying went last week with the Prada Cup.

America's Cup is one of the oldest trophies in the world, but unlike many other sports, the sailors keep changing the rules and equipment.

After 2 years of catamarans they've gone back to single hull boats, but with a difference: These are 75' long, weigh 7 tons and are raised out of the water on hydrofoils.

The can go up to 90 kmh, in a relatively light wind of 25 kmh. Watching them round a turn at speed is.... Ronald J. Donkulous.

Enjoy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	200112_RICKETSON_PENSACOLA_10230.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	3290363
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

That is amazing! Powering a hydrofoil boat like that on wind only is quite incredible!

I remember a lot of years ago the Aussies’ came up with a unique keel design that was exceptional but painted it to disguise the shape. It was only during my first awareness of the AC (and I can’t honestly call my self a follower but I could maybe be one now) but I remember it as being a game changer.

Comment

Amazing how the foil tech has advanced.

Marty, I remember the Oz keel. It was indeed a game changer.
      In The Bag

Golf clubs

Let them in.
      We can deal with the bad apples.
      Evil prevails when good people do nothing.

Comment

That mainsail is quite interesting and there’s no keel on these boats

Comment

When does a boat stop being a boat?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
            exactly. I am all for technology but these don't appear to sailboats anymore. I guess if they are all using the same tech, but it seems to take away a lot of the human element.
            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Wow that design almost has no friction with the water.

Other thing that stood out for me as I haven’t watched in years is how they painted all those lines on the water.
              WITB

PING G410 Plus 9*
              PING G25 16.5*
              PING G400 19* & 22*
              PING G400 5 - PW
              GW ?
              Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
              PING Anser 1966 TR

Comment

I used to follow it a bit - they made the boat change to boost TV viewing. And it’s no longer open ocean racing- think these beauties would get smushed out on some rolling seas

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

exactly. I am all for technology but these don't appear to sailboats anymore. I guess if they are all using the same tech, but it seems to take away a lot of the human element.
                  Well they are indeed sailboats and from the parts I watched human element is still a big deal because if you turn the wrong way or set your sail wrong the main hull settles back into the water and you lose a tremendous amount of speed and agility.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post

I used to follow it a bit - they made the boat change to boost TV viewing. And it’s no longer open ocean racing- think these beauties would get smushed out on some rolling seas
                    Yeah, I think they were smart to move from boring coverage way the heck out to sea to near shore events where the entire race can be seen from a lot of vantage points. Fundamentally, they're in the entertainment biz.

Letting the rules go crazy on new designs was a good move too. The cats of the previous 2 races were pretty amazing to see, and now these things are just mind-boggling.

I wonder what the g-forces are on some of those turns? Gotta be like a sports car with grippy rubber.

Also - not sure anyone's fallen overboard, but OB at 90 kmh would not be pleasant.

Still plenty of skill involved. We've seen boats drop off the foil, faster and slower designs in different points of sail, some fairly close ROW challenges at high speed.

"Are you not entertained?"...
                    ...Iggy

Comment

When it stops floating. Then it becomes an anchor.
                      In The Bag

Golf clubs

Let them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post

Kinda like an F1 racer would get destroyed on regular roads.

There are still open ocean races that you will not see these specialized boats in.
                        In The Bag

Golf clubs

Let them in.

Comment

Plenty of drama on the water yesterday, the American yacht capsized and has moved from the favourite to be the challenger to pretty much out of it

If you watch around the 2 hour and 46 minute mark the drama all happens

Also worth watching what life now looks like in a country that handled COVID well. Watch the crowds down at the harbour all watching and living a normal life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhINyxgPuo&t=9914s

Comment

Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
                            Plenty of drama on the water yesterday, the American yacht capsized and has moved from the favourite to be the challenger to pretty much out of it

If you watch around the 2 hour and 46 minute mark the drama all happens

Also worth watching what life now looks like in a country that handled COVID well. Watch the crowds down at the harbour all watching and living a normal life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhINyxgPuo&t=9914s
                            Well. "That escalated quickly"

I was surprised that there were no expletives heard over the comms. I know I might have let one slip at a moment like that....
                            ...Iggy

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=680620292609419

American Magic being rescued and saved by the crew, organizers, local authorities and competitors. Nice bit of sportsmanship.

On a side note (and maybe another thread), should many of the other sports organization consider holding their events in New Zealand for the next couple years while the pandemic subsides? Just strange (and a pleasant view) of all the patrons without masks on.
                              Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
                              Ping Rapture V2 4W
                              Adams Idea Pro 2H
                              Accuform PTM
                              SC Red X

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard