Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

These boats are crazy. America's Cup 2021 has begun.

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Next leg of regatta is on tonight at 10pm est.

    in other news from down that way - tennis Aussie open is going forward without fans after their latest lockdown ✌️

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Bosco View Post
      Next leg of regatta is on tonight at 10pm est.

      in other news from down that way - tennis Aussie open is going forward without fans after their latest lockdown ✌️
      Thanks for the reminder - gonna have to PVR that.

      Some of the last series had more aspects of a conventional sailing race, with close crosses and tactics. Most of the previous ones were pretty much drag races - unless one of the boats got airborne!

      As for the AO, I saw Nick Kyrgios got an ace with a surprise underhand serve. Then lost the match....
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

        Thanks for the reminder - gonna have to PVR that.

        Some of the last series had more aspects of a conventional sailing race, with close crosses and tactics. Most of the previous ones were pretty much drag races - unless one of the boats got airborne!

        As for the AO, I saw Nick Kyrgios got an ace with a surprise underhand serve. Then lost the match....
        All of the races are available on Youtube and can be linked through the main website.

        Ahh Kyrgios, if he ever took the game seriously he would be #1 in the world right now but alas his brain wiring does not work that way. He is equal parts entertainment and frustration. During his loss he had an easy volley on game point to an open court to go up 5-4 in the 4th set when up 2 Sets to 1. He chose to do a between the legs circus volley, blew it, lost the game and then lost the set and obviously ended up losing the match. That pretty much defines him.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by pendlebg View Post

          ...
          He chose to do a between the legs circus volley, blew it, lost the game and then lost the set and obviously ended up losing the match. That pretty much defines him.
          From what I understand, he is widely considered the most talented player on the circuit.
          In The Bag

          Golf clubs


          Let them in.
          We can deal with the bad apples.
          Evil prevails when good people do nothing.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Fredk View Post
            From what I understand, he is widely considered the most talented player on the circuit.
            The argument could be made for that over the past few years. I would not put him above Federer or Nadal in their prime but now I think he could have passed Djokovic who has slowed just a bit as he gets older. Hence why I think he could be #1. I kind of compare him to Marat Safin except Safin at least made it to # 1 and won 2 majors, Kyrgios has not made top 10 nor passed Quarters in a major. He is still young enough to make a climb to the top if he gets his head screwed on straight, I would not put money on it.

            Comment


            • #36
              Day 3 of the Finals are on now. Team Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli leads 4-0 over INEOS Team UK.

              INEO seems faster downwind, but they've been disastrous on the starts. They dropped off the foils on the first race and lost by a ton.

              This is looking so much better in terms of tactics right from the start.

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK_G72kkbY8
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                Day 3 of the Finals are on now. Team Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli leads 4-0 over INEOS Team UK.

                INEO seems faster downwind, but they've been disastrous on the starts. They dropped off the foils on the first race and lost by a ton.

                This is looking so much better in terms of tactics right from the start.

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK_G72kkbY8
                Well that was all pretty painful for the Brits and the racing itself as a whole was not that interesting over the 4 semifinals against the US and the 8 finals with Italy and the UK, pretty dominant performace by Italy. Of course there had to be some controversy over not delaying the races until Auckland recovered from the short period of COVID restrictions and Sir Ben Ainslie was not quiet about it. In the end though it was Italy's call and all fell under the rules of competition. Was amazed at the onboard heart rate monitor of Jimmy Spithill, the Aussie who was co-helmsman for the Italian crew, which was normally below 80 during the race and a few times dropped down well below 70 bpm.

                Now on to the finale. WIll be interesting to see if the improvements obviously made by the Italians since Christmas are enough to mount a serious challenge to the Kiwi boat.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Kiwis and the Italians had a head start on the boat design So that should keep it close from that respect. Foils for these boats are still being dialed in.
                  the kiwis really dropped the deck on their boat getting them a little more mainsail area.

                  should be interesting finals.

                  Comment

                  Collapse

                  Latest TGN Reviews


                  Collapse

                  Today's Birthdays


                  Collapse

                  PGA Leaderboard


                  Working...
                  X