No announcement yet.
Collapse

Homeschooling.....omg

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I just lost my key employee to homeschooling. She can’t juggle her responsibilities AND monitor the kids and school. I don’t blame her, and I’m all for her stopping work. It’s chaotic in her house with the kids demanding so much of her attention. They often appear on zoom, clinging to their mom, so clearly they’re not able to stay focussed on school and/or the teacher.

She’s off now indefinitely, so not sure if vacation, leave, or layoff, but we’ll sort it out. Hoping she can return on some kind of flex schedule, but the job she has doesn’t bend that way.
    – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
      Well, I just lost my key employee to homeschooling. She can’t juggle her responsibilities AND monitor the kids and school. I don’t blame her, and I’m all for her stopping work. It’s chaotic in her house with the kids demanding so much of her attention. They often appear on zoom, clinging to their mom, so clearly they’re not able to stay focussed on school and/or the teacher.

She’s off now indefinitely, so not sure if vacation, leave, or layoff, but we’ll sort it out. Hoping she can return on some kind of flex schedule, but the job she has doesn’t bend that way.
      It's an unfortunate reality. My wife and I could potentially have to make a decision as to how things will proceed with us if this drags on. She is pretty busy at work now and I am not, so the homeschooling falls on me for the bulk of each week. Once we move into February and especially into March, things start to pick up for both of us. My position requires me to be present. I'm hopeful that things improve so that we can start to get back to a more "normal" life. We are doing our best with homeschooling, but my girls miss their friends and physically going to school. The change of scenery is as important as the interaction with others.

I am not anti-mask, nor do I think this is a hoax. I am not making decisions on how to best proceed with the province and the response to COVID, but I do think that there has been a lot of blustering and a lot of dropped balls that have led us to where we are now. As I mentioned in a previous post (can't remember which thread), it's frustrating when you're trying to do your best to follow protocols and rules so that things can improve, but others think that it's beneath them and that the rules don't apply.

I am thankful that we, as a family, are in the position that we are. We will have the ability to make a choice. There are going to be a lot of families/individuals who do not have that luxury. The overall fallout from this is going to be very far reaching and will be felt decades.

Comment

I just sent some feedback to our daughter's teacher about this week's homework assignment. First off, I'm not really sure that they need to be sending homework for Grade 1's during a pandemic while everyone is trying to get used to this new schooling routine. It required us to navigate 2 different 3rd party apps to watch 2 videos. Then read a short e-book. Then write a story. It took us about an hour to do all that and write the story in her best handwriting. Then I realized I had to retype the story into the google classroom assignment page to submit the work.

IMO it was far too dependent on parental involvement to complete the work. I think this angle needs to be a prime consideration when deciding on how the curriculum will be delivered. It's only going to work if it works for everyone in the equation.
        We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
        Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
        Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
        Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
        Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
        Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
        Srixon Star XV
        Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
          I just sent some feedback to our daughter's teacher about this week's homework assignment. First off, I'm not really sure that they need to be sending homework for Grade 1's during a pandemic while everyone is trying to get used to this new schooling routine. It required us to navigate 2 different 3rd party apps to watch 2 videos. Then read a short e-book. Then write a story. It took us about an hour to do all that and write the story in her best handwriting. Then I realized I had to retype the story into the google classroom assignment page to submit the work.

IMO it was far too dependent on parental involvement to complete the work. I think this angle needs to be a prime consideration when deciding on how the curriculum will be delivered. It's only going to work if it works for everyone in the equation.
          Do your children have something better to do during this lockdown? Why are you typing out their homework. This is something the student should be doing. I used to butt heads with my wife all the time with getting way too involved with our children's school work, basically doing it for them. I can see giving them direction but when it comes to doing the work they should take that responsibility. Its not like your currently keeping them from getting together with their friends, keeping them from dance, hockey, etc.
          Having said all that I have no idea what the current challenges are. I imagine theres a lot of "fly by the seat of your pants" happening with the school board while they get used to the new way of doing things.
          We have some of employees children here in the office doing their remote learning. The odd time when I pass by they don't seem like they're paying that much attention to the teachers on line. I can see a lot of students falling behind with challenges adjusting to this type of learning.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman View Post

Do your children have something better to do during this lockdown? Why are you typing out their homework. This is something the student should be doing. I used to butt heads with my wife all the time with getting way too involved with our children's school work, basically doing it for them. I can see giving them direction but when it comes to doing the work they should take that responsibility. Its not like your currently keeping them from getting together with their friends, keeping them from dance, hockey, etc.
            Having said all that I have no idea what the current challenges are. I imagine theres a lot of "fly by the seat of your pants" happening with the school board while they get used to the new way of doing things.
            We have some of employees children here in the office doing their remote learning. The odd time when I pass by they don't seem like they're paying that much attention to the teachers on line. I can see a lot of students falling behind with challenges adjusting to this type of learning.
            The problem is that she's only 6, so still not very computer literate. She can navigate a tablet with kids apps very well, but going on the web and typing passwords into apps is still beyond her. Same thing with the typing. She's still learning to read so typing is beyond her abilities at this point. Her class is very attentive and the teacher is great at keeping them engaged.
            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
            Srixon Star XV
            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

The problem is that she's only 6, so still not very computer literate. She can navigate a tablet with kids apps very well, but going on the web and typing passwords into apps is still beyond her. Same thing with the typing. She's still learning to read so typing is beyond her abilities at this point. Her class is very attentive and the teacher is great at keeping them engaged.
              yeah thats got to be a hard age to keep them engaged remotely.

Comment

You have very unrealistic expectations of a grade one child.
                Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                Ping G400 4H - 22*
                Ping G400 5 - UW
                Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

I think you may have missed that this is an assignment for a Grade One. I can leave my Grade Four to do her work independently, but check in on her regularly to ensure that she's staying engaged. I help her with her math work when she has difficulty. My SK requires that I sit beside her, working on my laptop while she is online. She also needs help with her work while she is writing and reading. I would agree with dmcdam that this task was a little much for a 6/7 year-old in Grade One.

I do completely agree with on in that students will definitely fall behind while learning online, especially the younger ones who are just developing essential skills. As much as we spend lots of time working on reading and writing, the attention paid to parents is different than the attention paid to teachers while in class.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X