Collapse

Most Underrated Player of all Time

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Underrated Player of all Time

Billy Casper not mentioned as much as he should be as an all time great - 51 wins -3 Majors and 5 Vardon Trophies
    Driver - Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5- Miyazaki Stiff -- Taylor Made Burner 3 and 5 wood
    23* and 26* Adams Idea Tech hybrids both with Fubuki 65HY S
    6 - W - Srixon Z 745 - Dynamic Gold S300
    52* - 56* Cobra Tour Trusty
    Scotty Cameron GoLo #7 --- Kia Ma Imola 8

Originally posted by cuonthe1t View Post
    Billy Casper not mentioned as much as he should be as an all time great - 51 wins -3 Majors and 5 Vardon Trophies
    During the first lockdown, I watched the final round of the 1970 Masters, and others in that era, and he certainly was not considered underrated. Perhaps he is a victim of time and not being Jack, Arnie or Gary.

Comment

Larry Nelson would probably be a good candidate.

Two-time winner of the PGA Championship, as well as one U.S. Open. However, he was never selected to be a Ryder Cup Captain while other clearly-lesser players (Pavin, Kyte, Lehman) were.

Comment

Casper and Nelson would be my 1/2

in more recent times Chucky 3 stix
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Johnny Goodman

Comment

For me it’s Moe Norman. Not for his wins so much as probably the only person in the history of the game to figure out how to hit a ball straight virtually 100 % of the time. I suspect that if he was an American he would have got the recognition he deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Playthru View Post
              For me it’s Moe Norman. Not for his wins so much as probably the only person in the history of the game to figure out how to hit a ball straight virtually 100 % of the time. I suspect that if he was an American he would have got the recognition he deserved.
              I would agree that Moe was a legendary ball-striker. However, it takes more than good ball-striking to be a good player, and Moe just didn't have it for a variety of reasons.

Comment

Greg Norman

Comment

Originally posted by hackerhare View Post
                  Greg Norman
                  How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Playthru View Post
                    Could easily be argued that Moe is wildly overrated also. Doesn’t fit into the conversation at all, Billy Casper is virtually a lock for this with Colin Montgomrie very close.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

How so?
                      He could easily have won a few more majors. And before Tiger, he is possibly the most financially successful golfer. Sometimes, his success off the course overshadows how successful a golfer he is. Mind you, I do not like his personality.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

How so?
                        He somehow gets a lot of grief for never having won a major*.

* where "majors" only count on American soil.

The guy was world #1 for more weeks than anyone other than Tiger. He was #1 about 1/2 as long as Tiger, but 3 times longer than Rory, DJ, or Faldo - the next in line.

He had some bad luck (or bad nerves, although he really doesn't look "nervous" to me) which gave him a string of "almosts".

That seems to have led a lot of people to think he wasn't all that great. But he was. He really, really was a GREAT golfer. And a lot of people just don't seem to realize that.

Full disclosure: One of the first real golf shirts I bought back in 1998 was a Greg Norman "Shark" branded shirt for about $100. I wish I'd gone to Costco instead....
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

Norman ?????
                          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Michelle Wie.
                            Ok....this thread can be locked now...nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                              Michelle Wie.
                              Ok....this thread can be locked now...nuff said.
                              Wie (finally) won a single major championship and then basically disappeared.
                              How is she under-rated?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X