Collapse

Water consumption

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water consumption

I was paying my quarterly water bill ($440.00) ouch!!
    A year ago at this same time we consumed 34000 litres in a 90 day period...this year it is at 80,000 litres for the same period. The bill before this one had us at 89,000 litres.
    Something is not right here and I am just curious what other peoples water consumption is like.
    We are only 2 people in the house and we have a water softener and a water filtration system, but even as much as they consume more water I have never seen usage like this before. There could possibly be a leak, but would I have not heard water running?
    I am stumped...we used less water in the hottest months of the year and we have a pool which requires filling every week.

One has to wonder if those electronic gizmos they put in could be defective?

Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

I have the same problem in my office with Powerstream Energy Services. Once they installed the electronic meters, our cost went up 10x. I have been chasing them to check the meters out. They keep on dragging their feet. Everytime I called, its a different excuse. They promised to check the meters twice and never did. I am thinking of hiring legal counsel to get them off their butt. Watch out for the usual excuses, e.g. leaky toilets, faucets, new meters are more accurate than old ones, etc.

Comment

For reference - our two month bill for a family of 4 had us at 51,000 litres at a cost of $207.68
      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
      Srixon Star XV
      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I would check for a leaking toilet. When we moved into our house, the electrical bills were through the roof. I was sure it was the "Smart Meter", did some research and found out you can have the meter checked out at Measurements Canada, which is a government agency. Ended up change all the light bulbs and all the appliances to gas. Not sure if you can do it with th water meter, but it's worth looking into

Comment

Did they install new meters lately ? They did here 2 years ago and our bills went up about 30%.

otherwise any leak for the meter to capture has to be past the meter and in the house so you would certainly know with that amount of water.

check for a running toilet....you would hear that and it wont be 40,000 litres
          check for an outside tap that is running or a seal or pipe cracked due to the cold.

a double in your consumption without a change in habits is very odd. I would question a faulty meter
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

The meter may be read electronically and remotely, but I'm sure there is still the actual water meter attached to the water inlet. I would start reading the meter yourself on a daily basis, and then checking that against what you are being charged.

I would also think this is a running or leaky toilet. Possibly an outside tap. The water has to be going somewhere and that is a lot of water to be inside the house, but not going down a drain.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
              The meter may be read electronically and remotely, but I'm sure there is still the actual water meter attached to the water inlet. I would start reading the meter yourself on a daily basis, and then checking that against what you are being charged.

I would also think this is a running or leaky toilet. Possibly an outside tap. The water has to be going somewhere and that is a lot of water to be inside the house, but not going down a drain.
              Quite likely the issue. Happened to us. It might be almost imperceptible.

An outdoor tap dripping at this time of the year would show frozen water somewhere.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

The only time my water consumption ever increased was my bartender was diluting my Scotch.

Apolises OP.
                plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

I'm going home later and going to watch the metre and see if it spins with everything off. My neighbour's bill was $156.00 wtf!!!

Comment

Turn where the water is coming in . . . main valve and see what happens. This is strange but a leak has to be the culprit (if not the meter) . . . could be leaking under your house, not good at all. Is your sump pump running a lot? Good luck . . . but for sure check it out, not just for the $$ wasted but for to keep your house/foundation in good shape.
                    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                      Turn where the water is coming in . . . main valve and see what happens. This is strange but a leak has to be the culprit (if not the meter) . . . could be leaking under your house, not good at all. Is your sump pump running a lot? Good luck . . . but for sure check it out, not just for the $$ wasted but for to keep your house/foundation in good shape.
                      My water meter and I assume most are 1-2 feet above ground at the water main shut off. The meter only reads water flowing through and past this point so a leak of this magnitude , unless his main is totally concealed/hidden somewhere would be pretty obvious and visible. That said if the main is in a crawl space or behind a wall and there is a drain nearby it could go unnoticed so is worth checking out as a possible source.

outside tap/pipe and toilet would still be my 1/2 guess, I dont go near my outdoor taps in winter so would never know if there was a slow leak ( do use an indoor shutoff valve 3 feet in so not likely gonna happen)
                      3 faulty meter.

A house I rented annually in Hilton Head had the hot water heater in a laundry closet and one time when retrieving a ball for the kids under the house I noticed a leak and traced it back to the water heater....it was rusted on the bottom and leaking out the back and going through the floorboards under the house. So water heater could also be a culprit.
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Our house with 4 people uses 60-75,000 liters per 3 months. The bill is a bit under $300.

My parents (in Toronto) actually got a call from the utility because their usage went up and they found a toilet where the valve never seated all the way so water was running a little all the time. Got that dealt with and back to normal. Surprising how much a little drip can add up.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                          Our house with 4 people uses 60-75,000 liters per 3 months. The bill is a bit under $300.

My parents (in Toronto) actually got a call from the utility because their usage went up and they found a toilet where the valve never seated all the way so water was running a little all the time. Got that dealt with and back to normal. Surprising how much a little drip can add up.
                          all the toilets we have are the newer conservation types and I am almost 100% sure they are not leaking. Now that I think about it.... I had a plumber come by to fix a small leak to an outside tap in Sept. and I remember this pipe he was replacing was about 15 feet from the main shutoff and even though we had shut it down it just kept allowing water to keep coming through. He was completely baffled as to where the water was coming from...so this could be the culprit...can't believe I didn't remember. I have a mission now

Thanks guys

Comment

I would also check you humidifier. If it is the flow through type like the AprilAire they use a ton of water.....

Comment

Originally posted by caddishack View Post

all the toilets we have are the newer conservation types and I am almost 100% sure they are not leaking. Now that I think about it.... I had a plumber come by to fix a small leak to an outside tap in Sept. and I remember this pipe he was replacing was about 15 feet from the main shutoff and even though we had shut it down it just kept allowing water to keep coming through. He was completely baffled as to where the water was coming from...so this could be the culprit...can't believe I didn't remember. I have a mission now

Thanks guys
                              Yeah, that was just an example but it really takes a very small drip or leak to add up to a lot. I’m sure you’ll get it sorted out.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X