Collapse

Winter Storm warning

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

I was debating if I should send this to your SIL . . . to give to your daughter. She could hold this over your head and maybe or not show your wife . . . maybe I will sleep on this for tonight . . .
    I was thinking of treating you to a round at the Toronto club JG but that's off the table now. I better hurry and tell James to block you. (LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post

I was thinking of treating you to a round at the Toronto club JG but that's off the table now. I better hurry and tell James to block you. (LOL)
      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
        My wife was squawking about how long it was taking her to shovel the driveway so the caring husband I am, I bought her a bigger shovel.
        Is this the end result?? Mind you she did a great job getting rid of the snow...

Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeping.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	3321960

Comment

I am seeing quite a few homes in Texas suffering from burst pipes.

Why were these people not warned to turn off the water coming into their homes?

Comment

Maybe there was a warning on the radio and TV, that people didn't hear because the power failed. I sure empathize with those Texans.
            One does hope that they'd know about water freezing, CO dangers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
              Maybe there was a warning on the radio and TV, that people didn't hear because the power failed. I sure empathize with those Texans.
              One does hope that they'd know about water freezing, CO dangers, etc.
              I have seen video of water gushing out of a burst pipe, and others of water flowing out doors. This would indicate that the water was still coming in. So, why would no one think to turn off the water?

Texas is apparently seeing deaths caused by people bringing barbeques and other similar heat sources into their homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

From posts on a US golf forum , they have been warned to run the taps to prevent freezing but some might have left that too late of not done it correctly thinking just one tap. Also , apparently their water supply lines to the house can be as shallow as 12-14 inches below ground level so turning off could lead to freezing of the feeder to the house not to mention you cant flush a toidy then
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

There is a doctor I sometime talk to on twitter . . . I told her to leave the water running . . . they told her to turn the water off. If you turn the water there is still water in the pipes and freezes . . .at least she let the tap open so the pipes didn't burst . . .

You would have to turn the water off and bleed the line . . . letting the water running a little bit was probably their only chance.
                  If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

There is a doctor I sometime talk to on twitter . . . I told her to leave the water running . . . they told her to turn the water off. If you turn the water there is still water in the pipes and freezes . . .at least she let the tap open so the pipes didn't burst . . .

You would have to turn the water off and bleed the line . . . letting the water running a little bit was probably their only chance.
                    Your correct,I saw many water tanks burst when I worked the Quebec ice storm,pipes are the same I imagine.

Comment

Monday dilemma...

It's been snowing
                      Wet snow 6-8"

Temperature's at 0C and is supposed to go up to 3C this afternoon.

Should I bother shoveling?

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                        Monday dilemma...

It's been snowing
                        Wet snow 6-8"

Temperature's at 0C and is supposed to go up to 3C this afternoon.

Should I bother shoveling?
                        Yes, it won't melt fast enough and we have more on the way tomorrow (GTA). I'm off right now to start. Don't have that much out here. Durham Region.

Comment

Should also clear the water from the trap and tank in the toilet.

Comment

Anybody here buy a Toro snowblower this fall. There’s a recall on one model.

Comment

Better yet would be to shut the water off at the main although it would depend on depth of supply line to the house which can be as shallow as 8 inches in some warm weather states. then drain all the water by opening tap(s) Some people just open the tap in laundry room or basement and if you don't relieve the pressure by opening a tap upstairs ( better yet open them all ) then it wont allow the water to drain. ( like placing your finger on the end of the straw in your coke and lifting the straw out of the glass...coke will stay in the straw, until you take the finger of the top to relieve the suction)

my brother in Nbay had the water main from the road to house freeze the year he bought his house. That was almost 30 years ago since then, whenever it goes to -25 or colder he runs the laundry room tap
                              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X