Collapse

National Sports.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Sports.

All stores closing June 30th. Announced today.

I rad that too, they don’t want to compete with Sport Chek, given they are owned by the same company. Another one bites the dust.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
      I rad that too, they don’t want to compete with Sport Chek, given they are owned by the same company. Another one bites the dust.
      Pretty certain it was triggered by the Covid mess but was probably gonna happen anyway. CTC has way too many hockey specific brands butting heads out there.

Comment

I hadn’t been in a National Sports since Pro Hockey Life opened a location at the Dorval town centers in Oakville. The skate sharpening at National’s oakville location was notoriously bad and their selection for hockey equipment wasn’t much better.

Comment

National was really a “close-out shop” and always was. They never carried current gear or not much originally.

Back in the wood stick days Sherwood would run 5030’s for them and stamp them with “seconds” so they could sell them below regular retail and not tick off the competition as much.

Comment

Terrible News ! IMO Another Old School Name gone !!

Comment

Have shopped with them since they were known as National Gym. Remember the all night sales they used to have in their location on the west side of Yonge just north of Sheppard.

Norm Clements was the founder. Has or had a large horse farm just north of Uxbridge. He was quite generous with sponsorships for a number of our hockey teams.

The Pickering location used to have an indoor concrete floor rink, basketball court etc and host kids parties. They could turn into 'gladiator' contests.

Also had a presence for years at the old Stouffville Flea Market. Which the Clements family owned operated for many years.

It will be a shame to lose that brand. It was part of Toronto sports history. But they were not well known outside of southern Ontario and don't fit into CTC's marketing strategy.
              Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Feb 18, 2021, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                Have shopped with them since they were known as National Gym. Remember the all night sales they used to have in their location on the west side of Yonge just north of Sheppard.

Norm Clements was the founder. Has or had a large horse farm just north of Uxbridge. He was quite generous with sponsorships for a number of our hockey teams.

The Pickering location used to have an indoor rink, basketball court etc and host kids parties. They could turn into 'gladiator' contests.

Also had a presence for years at the old Stouffville Flea Market. Which the Clements family owned operated for many years.

It will be a shame to lose that brand. It was part of Toronto sports history. But they were not well known outside of southern Ontario and don't fit into CTC's marketing strategy.
                I recall Clement started by selling sporting goods out of his trunk.

My first experience with a big box was taking the bus to Collegiate Sports at Warden & Ellesmere, remember walking up the hill from the street.
                Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                Ping G400 4H - 22*
                Ping G400 5 - UW
                Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Originally posted by Mattv88 View Post
                  All stores closing June 30th. Announced today.
                  Read about this yesterday . . . what I didn't understand is that they (CTC) were saying that sales were up like 20% last year and in the same article saying that they were closing all National Sports . . . If they were doing so good why close NS . . . or were they a big drain . . .
                  If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

I recall Clement started by selling sporting goods out of his trunk.

My first experience with a big box was taking the bus to Collegiate Sports at Warden & Ellesmere, remember walking up the hill from the street.
                    I worked there part time when it first opened

Comment

The Pickering location used to have an indoor rink, basketball court etc and host kids parties. They could turn into 'gladiator' contests.

There were also a good number of bankruptcies along the way at National. He was pretty good at re-opening after clearing the debt for cents on the dollar. The last time it cost my Dad’s company $120K. Only $30 of that was direct debt with NS. But another company we sold to also sold a lot to National and they were not financed enough as it turns out. National went 1 day and the other guys the next. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                        **** you're OLD...lol.
                        I remember Collegiate Sports...bought my 1st set of skis there.

Talk about old skool.
                        Many here will remember Consumer Distributing, Shoprite (?) and Bi-Way.
                        I remember buying a 10 speed bike for $100 from Shoprite.....peeled off some stickers....it was a Peugeot bike...well worth more than $100 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                          **** you're OLD...lol.
                          I remember Collegiate Sports...bought my 1st set of skis there.

Talk about old skool.
                          Many here will remember Consumer Distributing, Shoprite (?) and Bi-Way.
                          I remember buying a 10 speed bike for $100 from Shoprite.....peeled off some stickers....it was a Peugeot bike...well worth more than $100 at the time.
                          How about Woolco, Woolworth’s and Zellers that were mainstays at Cedarbrae Mall at Markham & Lawrence (where the Scarborough NS store was located for along time).

But yeae used to buy squash racquets, badminton racquets and get skis tuned at Collegiate Sports (An Uncle was Controller there for a while) on Lawrence east of there.

Bike sounds like an awesome deal. I used to lust after Peugot bikes. I had a few nice Raleighs back then.

Comment

Used to Love going to Stoufville Flea Market as a kid !! Only reason I went was to go to National Times are a Changing

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

How about Woolco, Woolworth’s and Zellers that were mainstays at Cedarbrae Mall at Markham & Lawrence (where the Scarborough NS store was located for along time).

But yeae used to buy squash racquets, badminton racquets and get skis tuned at Collegiate Sports (An Uncle was Controller there for a while) on Lawrence east of there.

Bike sounds like an awesome deal. I used to lust after Peugot bikes. I had a few nice Raleighs back then.
                              At Agincourt Mall they had a monkey in the pet store for quite awhile.
                              There were usually pairs of sunglasses or reading glasses in the bottom of his cage.

If you got too close he would snatch them off your face or out of a shirt pocket.
                              Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                              Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                              Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                              Ping G400 4H - 22*
                              Ping G400 5 - UW
                              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X