Collapse

National Sports.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

I had my first apartment there when I moved out of my parents house, I was on a little street called Decimal Place, up the hill east of the Port Union plaza.
    Winston Churchill was my high school as I grew up in Treverton Park near Kennedy & Eglinton. Could have gone to Midland I guess but all my buddies were going to Churchill.
    I know Decimal Place very well. Friend of mine in grade school days lived next to the Doherty’s who ran Rouge Valley Limo.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Did you know the Poleras (Claudio and Tony) and Hazen Henderson? Played ball with/against them and worked with the Poleras. Great guys. Tony for a while was a personal trainer for some up and coming hockey players.
      Can’t say I do AD. I lived in the stone house, last one on the street at the bottom of the hill before it turned to a dirt road. Right by the CN main Montreal-Toronto and GO line.

Comment

I remember when sporting goods stores were in all neighborhoods.
        We had Wilson Sporting Goods at Kennedy & Eglinton.
        Owner would let you go in the basement to look at the sticks if you didn’t see one you liked on the sales floor.
        Was another one near Eglinton & Midland but I don’t recall the name of that one.
        I remember some growing up in Toronto. There was one north on Yonge St that may have been a Wilson as well?

Comment

That was the 2nd Collegiate location. Prior to that they had a small shop on the north side of Ellesmere just east of Midland. The Warden store was indeed the first big box sporting goods store around. Collegiate became a dominant player for about a decade before selling off, I believe to a Quebec based company.

If my memory is correct one of the founders of Collegiate went on to start Old Firehall Sports on Main Street, Unionville. At one point they also had a location in the Queen's Quay terminal/condo.
          Was the original Collegiate in the University Richmond area? I remember there was a bar below it called the Undergound Hideaway. We used to go there in grade 11 for Wed night Leaf games. Two bucks bought eight skinny drafts. Never asked for id. Thursday mornings never felt good.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

I remember some growing up in Toronto. There was one north on Yonge St that may have been a Wilson as well?
            Very well may have been a small chain, my world wasn't big enough at that age to go that far.
            Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
            Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
            Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
            Ping G400 4H - 22*
            Ping G400 5 - UW
            Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
            Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
            Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
            Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

The original Collegiate was on Ellesmere and opened in the late 1960's. Believe that the originator may have previously been in business/affiliated with/known Norm Clements as the story is that he also started out selling from the trunk of his car. When Collegiate expanded it was to the 2 story building on the NW corner of Warden and Ellesmere. It then became a chain before being sold to a Quebec interest/chain who greatly expanded it before it ran into insurmountable financial difficulties. I still have a ski bag with their logo.

When you mention Wilson's, I am assuming that you are referencing my old and dear friend Paul Wilson who passed away in April 2019.

Paul started with Lyons on the north side of Kingston just west of Midland. The last time I saw it, it the store had become a dojo. An old time building with 2 large windows flanking the entrance. Marchant of Marchant Sports also worked there. As did I believe Fred of Fred's Sports which was a longtime mainstay in The Beaches.

Paul moved on. Had for many years a store on Yonge Street. Then one on Sherbourne near Front. Then moved to the Beaver Creek area. Finally returned to 'selling from his trunk'. A wonderful man, with many connections and stories. I truly miss him.

Comment

The original Collegiate was on Ellesmere and opened in the late 1960's. Believe that the originator may have previously been in business/affiliated with/known Norm Clements as the story is that he also started out selling from the trunk of his car. When Collegiate expanded it was to the 2 story building on the NW corner of Warden and Ellesmere. It then became a chain before being sold to a Quebec interest/chain who greatly expanded it before it ran into insurmountable financial difficulties. I still have a ski bag with their logo.

When you mention Wilson's, I am assuming that you are referencing my old and dear friend Paul Wilson who passed away in April 2019.

Paul started with Lyons on the north side of Kingston just west of Midland. The last time I saw it, it the store had become a dojo. An old time building with 2 large windows flanking the entrance. Marchant of Marchant Sports also worked there. As did I believe Fred of Fred's Sports which was a longtime mainstay in The Beaches.

Paul moved on. Had for many years a store on Yonge Street. Then one on Sherbourne near Front. Then moved to the Beaver Creek area. Finally returned to 'selling from his trunk'. A wonderful man, with many connections and stories. I truly miss him.
                The Wilson's I'm referencing was in a strip plaza just west of Kennedy on the north side of Eglinton, very close to a popular burger spot which I think was called JP Burgers possibly.

Wilson's is currently a store called Incredible Discount 2410 Eglinton Ave East.
                Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                Ping G400 4H - 22*
                Ping G400 5 - UW
                Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

I know that plaza well. In the late 90s we had a small satellite office in it. In the mid 70's I worked at the Gulf station on the SE corner. And in the mid-late 70s had a girlfriend who lived in the 1st apartment building on east side of Kennedy north of Eglinton.

Comment

I know that plaza well. In the late 90s we had a small satellite office in it. In the mid 70's I worked at the Gulf station on the SE corner. And in the mid-late 70s had a girlfriend who lived in the 1st apartment building on east side of Kennedy north of Eglinton.
                    That building and the next 7 or 8 heading north was my Scarborough Mirror route, every Wednesday morning.

Who now a days would let a 12 year old wander alone through apartment buildings?
                    Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                    Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                    Ping G400 4H - 22*
                    Ping G400 5 - UW
                    Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                    Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Forgot that the guys who own/operate Eagle Beaver Sports also started with either Marchant's or Lyons. They first had a 2 storey store on the Danforth.

When I was involved in/with the newspaper industry they used to joke that there were billion dollar fortunes and companies built in the backs of pre-teen newspaper 'boys'/carriers.

Comment

Very well may have been a small chain, my world wasn't big enough at that age to go that far.
                        Actually I think the store I was thinking about was called Watson Sports.

Comment

Outdoor Stores was I believe indeed another incarnation of Collegiate. The last one I saw was on Sheppard near Markham Road.

I believe that Le Baron was on the east side of Woodbine just south of Highway #7.
                          I was going through some boxes and discover Play Ball! A Blue Jay Special, a magazine published by The Toronto Star on Wednesday April 6, 1977, the day before the first ever game.

Inisde back cover ad is The Outdoor Stores with 3 Toronto locations: West Toronto (Dixie Plaza), North Toronto (1205 Finch Avenue West) and East Toronto (2958 Danforth Avenue.

They accepted Chargex or Master Charge and, like the rest of the province, closed on Sundays.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X