No announcement yet.
Collapse

Winter Chaos In Texas and Oklahoma

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempts to politicize this crisis have ignored some obvious points. The premise that these extreme weather events rare is false. Climate chage is real. Ignoring it or denying it may be politically advantageous for some, but it does nothing for addressing its consequences. Winterization steps had been recommended for Texas previously. They were, for the most part, ignored. It's now obvious that this was a mistake. One way or another, that decision has exacted substantial human and financial costs. Quite apart from the deaths, the damages have been estimated as ultimately hitting at least $20 billion or more. As well, initially blaming for political reasons this crisis on the failure of wind and solar power has been shown to be without merit. Finally, dergulation of their power industry in Texas appears to have done them no service. That is especially so when the decision is left to power producers to decide whether or not they'll expend great sums of momies to protect the power supply in the face of possible environmental crisis events. Invariably they will always opt for cutting costs to maximize immeidate profits.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post

Not sure but this looks a bit like suckin' and blowin'

Former Texas Gov Rick Perry (and trump Sec for Energy) says Texans would rather live with more extended outages than have the federal government in their business.

Meanwhile current Gov Abbott says federal assistance from Biden admin for 77 counties is a good start and he'll keep working with their federal partners for more.
      Aren't these Texas politicians the guys who said they would gladly die from Covid if it meant the economy wouldn't have to shut down? I guess they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
        Attempts to politicize this crisis have ignored some obvious points. The premise that these extreme weather events rare is false. Climate chage is real. Ignoring it or denying it may be politically advantageous for some, but it does nothing for addressing its consequences. Winterization steps had been recommended for Texas previously. They were, for the most part, ignored. It's now obvious that this was a mistake. One way or another, that decision has exacted substantial human and financial costs. Quite apart from the deaths, the damages have been estimated as ultimately hitting at least $20 billion or more. As well, initially blaming for political reasons this crisis on the failure of wind and solar power has been shown to be without merit. Finally, dergulation of their power industry in Texas appears to have done them no service. That is especially so when the decision is left to power producers to decide whether or not they'll expend great sums of momies to protect the power supply in the face of possible environmental crisis events. Invariably they will always opt for cutting costs to maximize immeidate profits.
        I also wonder how many insurance claims will be denied because of the nature of the storm, act of god and all that. Don't people in the south have to get specific hurricane insurance to make sure they get paid?

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

I also wonder how many insurance claims will be denied because of the nature of the storm, act of god and all that. Don't people in the south have to get specific hurricane insurance to make sure they get paid?
          would this be the - under these circumstances god doesn’t really exist therefore I gotta get me some flood insurance policy - Couldn’t help it - sorry

Comment

I'm sure the insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid paying. Sadly, there will be a lot of damage claims that were caused by connections to public water supply not meeting code.

Texas, who don't want the Feds involved in their energy business, will use federal emergency funds to pay the exponential energy bill increases due to the market supply shortages that were caused by ERCOT's own negligence. After paying those exorbitant energy electricity bills, there will be little left to compensate homeowners for their damages.

If insurance companies are forced to pay, I hope they go after ERCOT.
            TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

Logic and politics, particularly among Trump supporters is largely non-existence.

The traffic chaos created by these storms is proof positive that a big pick-up truck or SUV without winter tires is nowhere near as safe/useful/driveable under icy/snowy conditions as a small car with winter tires

Comment

Originally posted by WWFS View Post
                If insurance companies are forced to pay, I hope they go after ERCOT.
                Read in USA Today this morning that the damage is up to $50B . . .
                If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Feels like the age old story of a politicians term is way more important to the individual politician than ever fixing this.

So I’d bet no politician will ever try to fix this. It’s political suicide. I can see the tag line - pay 100% more state tax and we will never see this terrible situation again.

I feel sorry for the people hurt and endangered by the storm.
                  Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
                  Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
                  Nike 23 degree hybrid
                  Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
                  Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
                  Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

Read in USA Today this morning that the damage is up to $50B . . .
                    The key question now is what is the 'insured damage'.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgsxr View Post
                      Feels like the age old story of a politicians term is way more important to the individual politician than ever fixing this.

So I’d bet no politician will ever try to fix this. It’s political suicide. I can see the tag line - pay 100% more state tax and we will never see this terrible situation again.

I feel sorry for the people hurt and endangered by the storm.
                      No state income tax in Texas.
                      King Cobra F9 10.5* , VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
                      King Cobra F9 16.0*, UST Helium A Flex
                      TXG Custom, T. Made SIM Max 7-wood, Accra 140 2.0 M2
                      Sonartec MD Transition 23*, UST Irod A Flex
                      TXG Custom, Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal "B" heads, 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2", Soft Stepped Once
                      Mizuno S18 50/07, KBS Tour 110 R

Ping Glide 1.0 ES 55*, Accra 90 wedge
                      TXG Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth ES 58*, DG S300
                      Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35"

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

No state income tax in Texas.
                        People are already paying for it in other ways. People who normally pay $400.00-$500.00 a month are now getting electricity bills for $7000.00-$11,000.00.

When ERGOT generating stations went down, demand outpaced supply, and the Kw/h rates went through the roof.

Texas politicians want to use federal funds to help pay those bills.

Comment

People are already paying for it in other ways. People who normally pay $400.00-$500.00 a month are now getting electricity bills for $7000.00-$11,000.00.

When ERGOT generating stations went down, demand outpaced supply, and the Kw/h rates went through the roof.

I am guessing that only for those who were on variable rates. I read due to supply demand rates went up 10,000 %

"Ahead of the storms, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which manages about 90 percent of the state’s electric load, underestimated how much power it would need. Because Texas is the only state in the Lower 48 that operates an independent electric grid, it could not receive help from neighboring states. Supply could not keep up with demand, leading the Public Utility Commission of Texas, which regulates Texas utility rates, to raise energy prices in an emergency meeting Monday.
                          On the same day, the wholesale price of electricity spiked more than 10,000 percent, leaving many Texans with dizzying bills in the wake of the storms — ranging from four digits to one for more than $17,000.""
                          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

This always makes me laugh. We love capitalism, until we don't. Now come bail us out.
                            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

I am guessing that only for those who were on variable rates. I read due to supply demand rates went up 10,000 %

"Ahead of the storms, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which manages about 90 percent of the state’s electric load, underestimated how much power it would need. Because Texas is the only state in the Lower 48 that operates an independent electric grid, it could not receive help from neighboring states. Supply could not keep up with demand, leading the Public Utility Commission of Texas, which regulates Texas utility rates, to raise energy prices in an emergency meeting Monday.
                              On the same day, the wholesale price of electricity spiked more than 10,000 percent, leaving many Texans with dizzying bills in the wake of the storms — ranging from four digits to one for more than $17,000.""
                              I think that statement is more than a bit disingenuous. The reason supply could not keep up with demand was because ERCOT generating plants went down. From the numbers I saw, peak power demand was actually nowhere near what would be seen in the days of summer.

I have no problem with federal funds being used to help the people of Texas. I just question whether paying ERCOT's artificially high rates for something that they were responsible for, is where that money should go.

Comment

I think that statement is more than a bit disingenuous. The reason supply could not keep up with demand was because ERCOT generating plants went down. From the numbers I saw, peak power demand was actually nowhere near what would be seen in the days of summer.

I have no problem with federal funds being used to help the people of Texas. I just question whether paying ERCOT's artificially high rates for something that they were responsible for, is where that money should go.
                                They do some maintenance (shut down) during the winter month . . . that was also going on . . .

They were asking if this could happen in Ontario . . . I guess Ontario has agreement with Quebec, Manitoba and some of the Northern States (NY, Michigan and Minny) . . . When you think you are smarter than everybody else, sometime you get burn . . .
                                If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X