Collapse

Dolly Parton - Humanitarian

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolly Parton - Humanitarian

There was a mention of her in another thread. But after reading about her over the years in the news, I thought a separate thread is merited.

Her philantropic work outside of her music career is long and comprehensive but what impresses me the most is her foundation mailing out over 100 million books over the year to children intrenationally.

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
    There was a mention of her in another thread. But after reading about her over the years in the news, I thought a separate thread is merited.

Her philantropic work outside of her music career is long and comprehensive but what impresses me the most is her foundation mailing out over 100 million books over the year to children intrenationally.
    I’m no country music fan but I do believe that Dolly is a pretty genuine and caring person. I don’t think I would tolerate a bad word said about her.

Comment

I was impressed at her reasoning for turning down the Presidential Medal of freedom...twice. I am sure there was more to this, but she decidedly took the high ground here....

Dolly Parton turned down the Presidential Medal of Freedom twice
      She explained that her husband's illness and the ongoing pandemic meant she couldn't make the timing work.

Dolly Parton turned down the Presidential Medal of Freedom twice (today.com)

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
        I was impressed at her reasoning for turning down the Presidential Medal of freedom...twice. I am sure there was more to this, but she decidedly took the high ground here....

Dolly Parton turned down the Presidential Medal of Freedom twice
        She explained that her husband's illness and the ongoing pandemic meant she couldn't make the timing work.

Dolly Parton turned down the Presidential Medal of Freedom twice (today.com)
        I honestly hope that this was her PC way of saying “no way will I take this honor from a POS like the “Former Guy.”

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

I honestly hope that this was her PC way of saying “no way will I take this honor from a POS like the “Former Guy.”
          Well....that's what I am thinking.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Well....that's what I am thinking.
            Yup. Thinking alike for sure.

Kinda weird that I’m just trying to nod in agreement but I’ve written 4 things and every one of them in review appears like it could be “snark” even though it is not intended to be.

Comment

I think it has more to do with this, now if Biden offered it to her.

I can hear the outrage already.
              Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
              Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
              Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
              Ping G400 4H - 22*
              Ping G400 5 - UW
              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Wait a year or two and then no longer "political".

Wish she did make a Political Statement (especially being from the South), but respect her opinion.

Comment

Tough spot for her, republicans buy records and sneakers.
                  Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                  Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                  Ping G400 4H - 22*
                  Ping G400 5 - UW
                  Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                  Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

That's not how I read it at all. She had 2 valid excuses for missing out, and now she's unsure if she'll accept one from Biden because it could look "political". An odd way to make a political statement....

I also think she's got more courage and strength than to hide behind excuses. I'd think she'd say it straight out if that's why she wasn't accepting the honours from Trump.

Regardless, I'm no fan of country or Dolly's music, but she seems a very awesome person with her philanthropy.
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Her documentary on Netflix is excellent. I'm more of a fan of the person than the music but it is well done regardless.
                      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                        Tough spot for her, republicans buy records and sneakers.
                        So do Dems. Whether she had accepted from the former guy or now, from the current guy, many people would be miffed. Some mildly, some mightily.

Accepting now from Bidden, after turning down the former guy twice, unintended as it might be, would have all the appearances of a political statement and really set some people off.

Her personal politics aside, whatever they are, she is wise just to stay clear of this at this point.

It's more than her music at stake, her philanthropic side is probably best if she avoids anything that might be interpreted by some as political leanings.

Comment

So do Dems. Whether she had accepted from the former guy or now, from the current guy, many people would be miffed. Some mildly, some mightily.

Accepting now from Bidden, after turning down the former guy twice, unintended as it might be, would have all the appearances of a political statement and really set some people off.

Her personal politics aside, whatever they are, she is wise just to stay clear of this at this point.

It's more than her music at stake, her philanthropic side is probably best if she avoids anything that might be interpreted by some as political leanings.
                          Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                          Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                          Ping G400 4H - 22*
                          Ping G400 5 - UW
                          Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                          Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Pretty much......I think she is looking for door #3.

Comment

I think you are right about the philanthropic side. She certainly doesn't need any more money herself, which should make her free to speak her mind, but her charities could suffer and I suspect that's quite important to her.
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X