Collapse

Electric snowblower

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric snowblower

Looking for a recommendation for a two stage electric snowblower from someone who owns one. Thanks in advance!

Two guys on my street have them. In any thing more than 8-10cm of snow ther are next to useless especially when the snow is wet and heavy. My 10.5HP Dual Stage Snow-Flite which is now 16 years old, can allow me to do me sidewalk(175'), our 50' driveway and my neighbour's sidewalk (60') before one of them are half way finished.

The problem for electrics compounds when the plow fills in the driveway. They cannot handle that at all.
    In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
    Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
    TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
    PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
    TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
    TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

A quick look at the 3 major retailers says there is no such thing. Have you seen one before?

Comment

A few years ago I used an electric for one winter but I think it was a single stage. Like rgk5 says - you can't count on it working well if there's anything more than a few inches of light snow. I wouldn't even try it for the pile at the end of the driveway.
        We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
        Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
        Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
        Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
        Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
        Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
        Srixon Star XV
        Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
          A quick look at the 3 major retailers says there is no such thing. Have you seen one before?
          EGO power at Lowes.

Comment

Originally posted by Playthru View Post
            EGO power at Lowes.
            I see it on the US site, not the Canadian one. Is it available here? If so, it looks like it could do the job. It is available in Buffalo(although they are out of stock), so I am sure the cold or amount of snow would not be an issue. I do wonder if the battery rating is a sub freezing rating? It says it can do a long driveway of 8 inch snow, but will it be ok when you really want it? 10-20 inches and always coming down.
            Other than environment, why do you want an electric?

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

I see it on the US site, not the Canadian one. Is it available here? If so, it looks like it could do the job. It is available in Buffalo(although they are out of stock), so I am sure the cold or amount of snow would not be an issue. I do wonder if the battery rating is a sub freezing rating? It says it can do a long driveway of 8 inch snow, but will it be ok when you really want it? 10-20 inches and always coming down.
              Other than environment, why do you want an electric?
              Saw it on a Lowes site in Canada but is currently sold out. So was a long shot thinking someone on this site would own one. Anyway, shovel currently so in no hurry. Only want an electric if it works reasonably well. I am systematically switching to electric for all my stuff - leaf blower, trimmer, remote golf cart, lawn mower, and so far have been very happy - its clean and trouble free.

Comment

I think I ran one over with my 12hp Ariens the other day. Might be enough of it left in the neighbors yard to re-assemble.

Comment

I have a SnowJoe single stage and it works fine for me. I have a three car garage and one charge can do the driveway. But it depends on how much snow and how much the base has frozen up. I have a 40 volt battery, but I keep a spare handy. About 40 min of use per charge. If the snow is thick, then I would not leave it unplowed for long. Once the base is frozen and the top has caked, then its not going to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by hackerhare View Post
                    I have a SnowJoe single stage and it works fine for me. I have a three car garage and one charge can do the driveway. But it depends on how much snow and how much the base has frozen up. I have a 40 volt battery, but I keep a spare handy. About 40 min of use per charge. If the snow is thick, then I would not leave it unplowed for long. Once the base is frozen and the top has caked, then its not going to work well.
                    Thank you. That is very helpful.

Comment

This seems like an opportunity for Elon Musk.

Electric snowblowers have a huge (deserved) rep as not being up to handling heavy loads.

And yet you can buy a 4-door sedan from Tesla that will outsprint most of the other cars on the planet, including a fair whack of exotics. So.... it seems like you could build a decent snowblower if you wanted to.
                      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Playthru View Post

Saw it on a Lowes site in Canada but is currently sold out. So was a long shot thinking someone on this site would own one. Anyway, shovel currently so in no hurry. Only want an electric if it works reasonably well. I am systematically switching to electric for all my stuff - leaf blower, trimmer, remote golf cart, lawn mower, and so far have been very happy - its clean and trouble free.
                        Like you, have been switching over to electric. I have been really impressed with our EGO lawnmower and trimmer. I usually go to youtube for the real world reviews and the two stage does look impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                          This seems like an opportunity for Elon Musk.

Electric snowblowers have a huge (deserved) rep as not being up to handling heavy loads.

And yet you can buy a 4-door sedan from Tesla that will outsprint most of the other cars on the planet, including a fair whack of exotics. So.... it seems like you could build a decent snowblower if you wanted to.
                          Agreed. Hackerhare’s has a 40v battery. The one I was looking at has two 56 volt batteries, so it should have enough power for my needs

Comment

Originally posted by Schylling View Post

Like you, have been switching over to electric. I have been really impressed with our EGO lawnmower and trimmer. I usually go to youtube for the real world reviews and the two stage does look impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lower+2+stage+
                            Never thought of going to UTube for a review. Thank you. Yes, I have an EGO lawn mower too and love it.

Comment

Look at the EGO website. There are a lot of reviews and videos there too.

I was concerned that it might not weigh enough to help with getting through thick snow, but it is 150lbs, so should be ok.
                              Again my only concern is the temp range. The manual says, may not start if below -20C. I would think that when you get down below -10, the battery life is going to be affected. It might not though. I did like the part in the manual that said if the batteries overheat, remove them from the machine and place them in the shade!

And of course, you cannot get one right now anyway. I will look in a Lowes in the fall, and have a look(although my blower is working fine and has heated handles). If you do get one next year, find this thread and post your results.

And like anything, read the review with a grain of salt. Positive reviews I find don't really tell you much(hello Linamar lawnmower), but the negative reviews do. The one I'm reading now is some guy complaining about battery life and he has a 300foot driveway. I wouldn't do a 300ft driveway with my gas thrower, I'd get a service to do it.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X