Collapse

God & Republicans

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God & Republicans

Yes could have put it in the Trump thread, but it scares me and I thought it deserves it's own thread.

If this doesn't show the divide and what way too many Republican's think, I don't know what does.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/22/polit...ntv/index.html

The title should be Religious Ideology and Republicans. God has little to do with it.

Comment

This topic came up (sort of) in some of the other threads. Christians (70% of US population) are generally divided equally voting for Rep and Dem. Certain subgroups of Chrisitianity tend to vote more one way vs. another, as per the table below. What the table below doesn't take into account in the % of the population that identifies as each religious group (and subgroup), so you can't easilty determine the 'weight' each group carries in determining election outcomes. For example, Mormons vote 70% for the GOP, but they only represent about 1.6% of the US population, so they don't swing things that much at the Federal level. I have a table that shows the weighted averages, but its not really formatted well, so I will post later if the data is really needed.

Anyway, what I think is at the core of the question is that evangelicals are a significant part of the GOP support (~50%) and they tend to 'weaponize' their religious beliefs to keep their group in line and support the GOP more than any other group. The example in the OP is a good example of this. So it really boils down to this subgroup the most and not religion/God in general.

As a side note, the second largest identifiable group in the US is actually those with no identified religion (i.e. Nones). They represent 22.8% of the US population and 54% of them tend to vote Dem.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-23 114434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	3325646
      Last edited by luv2kruz; Feb 23, 2021, 12:09 PM.
      Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Well god may have a lot to do with it, and the pauline teaching of jesus, but it has very little to do with the actual teachings of christ himself.

I found it most laughable that the letter states that drumpf is a christian. I guess that's true if the church you belong to allows divorce, multiple adulteries, sexual assaults, degrading of women, advocating abortion.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
          Well god may have a lot to do with it, and the pauline teaching of jesus, but it has very little to do with the actual teachings of christ himself.

I found it most laughable that the letter states that drumpf is a christian. I guess that's true if the church you belong to allows divorce, multiple adulteries, sexual assaults, degrading of women, advocating abortion.
          There is no doubt about the hypocrasy of the evangelical group supporting a guy like Trump. But forgetting about Trump for a minute in this discussion, there is not a group more vocal and involved in politics like the evangelicals.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post
            This topic came up (sort of) in some of the other threads. Christians (70% of US population) are generally divided equally voting for Rep and Dem. Certain subgroups of Chrisitianity tend to vote more one way vs. another, as per the table below. What the table below doesn't take into account in the % of the population that identifies as each religious group (and subgroup), so you can't easilty determine the 'weight' each group carries in determining election outcomes. For example, Mormons vote 70% for the GOP, but they only represent about 1.6% of the US population, so they don't swing things that much at the Federal level. I have a table that shows the weighted averages, but its not really formatted well, so I will post later if the data is really needed.

Anyway, what I think is at the core of the question is that evangelicals are a significant part of the GOP support (~50%) and they tend to 'weaponize' their religious beliefs to keep their group in line and support the GOP more than any other group. The example in the OP is a good example of this. So it really boils down to this subgroup the most and not religion/God in general.

As a side note, the second largest identifiable group in the US is actually those with no identified religion (i.e. Nones). They represent 22.8% of the US population and 54% of them tend to vote Dem.

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-23 114434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	3325646
            Huh! Jehovah Witnesses are not supposed to have any political leanings. Its in their doctrine. That is why they are not supposed to vote, join the military, run for office, etc.

Comment

Again we are witnessing the 'residual' impact of the Confederate states. The 'Caucasian' 'southern' Evangelical 'denominations' have over the past few decades been among the strongest supporters of GOP candidates and including Trump.

PBS recently aired a documentary series featuring/written by Professor Henry Louis (Skip) Gates Jr on the 'African-American' Church and its place in American culture. Engrossing, entertaining and informative. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                Again we are witnessing the 'residual' impact of the Confederate states. The 'Caucasian' 'southern' Evangelical 'denominations' have over the past few decades been among the strongest supporters of GOP candidates and including Trump.

PBS recently aired a documentary series featuring/written by Professor Henry Louis (Skip) Gates Jr on the 'African-American' Church and its place in American culture. Engrossing, entertaining and informative. I highly recommend it.
                Yes, but the evangelicals are not growing their numbers and in fact are slowly shrinking. The rise of the 'Nones' is the most interesting part of the changing US religious demographics, predominantly at the expense of mainline protestants. As mentioned above, the Nones tend to vote Dem, so this is why the GOP continues any tactic they can to hold on to power, including supporting a demagogue who pretends to share their values.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-23 133139.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	3325685

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Why is it a problem that southern white evangelicals support conservatives? According to kris’s chart’ historically black protestants are the most politically homogenous religious demographic. Is that a problem too?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

Why is it a problem that southern white evangelicals support conservatives? According to kris’s chart’ historically black protestants are the most politically homogenous religious demographic. Is that a problem too?
                    It's only a problem if you don't like the group being supported. If any group 100% supported Dems - it would be - oh isn't that wonderful how they've all come together to fight tyranny.

Comment

The biggest one is racism. This is so contrary to the teachings of Christ, it isn't funny.

Comment

History.

Comment

The biggest one is racism. This is so contrary to the teachings of Christ, it isn't funny.
                          Meh, you say racism others think it's just a 'differing opinion'...

Comment

There is no doubt about the hypocrasy of the evangelical group supporting a guy like Trump. But forgetting about Trump for a minute in this discussion, there is not a group more vocal and involved in politics like the evangelicals.
                            I would agree. The hard core evangelicals are the NRA of religions.

Comment

Originally posted by vermin40 View Post

It's only a problem if you don't like the group being supported. If any group 100% supported Dems - it would be - oh isn't that wonderful how they've all come together to fight tyranny.
                              OK remove the chip from your shoulder for a moment.

Where did it say 'problem' in my posting?
                              What was referenced was historical fact/perspective. Just as the January 6th 2021 insurrection in Washington closely mirrored the coup attempt of Charles I on January 4th 1642.

Also referenced was a study of African-American religious institutions.

How much fairer and impartial can one get.

Last night there was an interview with an American history teacher Sharon McMahon who has a popular social media account. According to Sharon, the major issue/problem causing the divide in US politics is that all media commentary/stories have a bias. Either that of the author, the editor, or the publisher. That has always been true. Highly educated people, and those who consume large amounts of media realize this. They also realize that heritage/mainstream media although biased, prints/broadcasts primarily verifiable and/or fact checked stories and will recant/apologize for errors. Alternate media sites often print/broadcast outright fabrications. Unfortunately in her opinion a great many Trump supporters cannot discern the difference. If they read/hear something from the heritage/mainstream media that disagrees with their opinions/beliefs they discount it as being 'fake' news, rather than accepting that it is actually based in fact, but 'slanted'. Whereas much of what Trump tweeted/stated or that alternate media prints/broadcasts is quite baseless/untrue and not based on fact and/or evidence. By spreading 'fake news' Trumpists have managed to confuse their most ardent supporters so that they cannot readily discern what is true and what is not.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X