Collapse

Too much horsepower?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much horsepower?

I'll confess to being a gearhead, I've always loved cars and bikes especially working on them.
    In 1990 9% of vehicles had over 200 HP.
    In 2020 54% of vehicles have over 200 HP.

There are many cars with 300 HP that are around 30k. Ludicrous mode on Teslas. Lotus is releasing a 2000HP electric car.

Injuries and fatalities continue to steadily decrease over that same time period. Safety features like ABS, airbags, assisted suspensions and traction control can all lead to more control of vehicles.

It may not be popular but is it time to start regulating these cars? After all, the speed limit is 100, why allow cars on the road that can hit 320?

My 2020 F-150 has the 3.5L twin turbo that pushes 395 hp, 374 lb torque. Given it weights like 2630 kg, I'd like to see it in the mustang. A few mods (after warranty is gone) will put it at around 500 hp for relatively cheap.

Hooray for Turbos and Supers!

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
      My 2020 F-150 has the 3.5L twin turbo that pushes 395 hp, 374 lb torque. Given it weights like 2630 kg, I'd like to see it in the mustang. A few mods (after warranty is gone) will put it at around 500 hp for relatively cheap.

Hooray for Turbos and Supers!
      I think Ford puts a 2.3 eco boost in a Mustang, not sure why they wouldn’t have dropped the 3.5 in it.
      WITB

PING G410 Plus 9*
      PING G25 16.5*
      PING G400 19* & 22*
      PING G400 5 - UW
      Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
      PING Anser 1966 TR

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

I think Ford puts a 2.3 eco boost in a Mustang, not sure why they wouldn’t have dropped the 3.5 in it.
        I'm sure there are lots of options. I think the 305 Boss has this engine in it (not so sure on that now). F-150s now have like 5-6 engine options.

There are some YT vids of guys who have juiced up their Explorers with the 3.5's in them and its silly for a Ford that size how fast they get them.

Comment

I'm sure there are lots of options. I think the 305 Boss has this engine in it (not so sure on that now). F-150s now have like 5-6 engine options.

There are some YT vids of guys who have juiced up their Explorers with the 3.5's in them and its silly for a Ford that size how fast they get them.
          What’s a “305 boss”?

I’m only familiar with the 302 boss which is the 5.0 V8.
          WITB

PING G410 Plus 9*
          PING G25 16.5*
          PING G400 19* & 22*
          PING G400 5 - UW
          Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
          PING Anser 1966 TR

Comment

What’s a “305 boss”?

I’m only familiar with the 302 boss which is the 5.0 V8.
            Wrong number, bouncing around doing things. When I was at the dealership I thought they were going on about it being in one of the mustangs as I was looking at the one in the showroom. Figured that they would have more options like they have with the F-150.

Comment

I think I will be ok regulating the max speed/horsepower/torque. But for horsepower/torque, it should be with respect to the total weight of the car.

That will trigger some interesting trend though. Owning sports cars will be like owning horses, as you could only drive them on tracks. It will make owning sports cars a really exotic hobby even more...

Comment

Originally posted by mrcltuch31 View Post
                I think I will be ok regulating the max speed/horsepower/torque. But for horsepower/torque, it should be with respect to the total weight of the car.

That will trigger some interesting trend though. Owning sports cars will be like owning horses, as you could only drive them on tracks. It will make owning sports cars a really exotic hobby even more...
                Aerial Atom V8 Power Lap | The Stig | Top Gear - YouTube

Ultimate track day car?

Comment

Originally posted by mrcltuch31 View Post

I hope In the future I own a red Barchetta.
                  WITB

PING G410 Plus 9*
                  PING G25 16.5*
                  PING G400 19* & 22*
                  PING G400 5 - UW
                  Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
                  PING Anser 1966 TR

Comment

I would get the supercharged Lotus Exige with 460 HP.

Comment

I hope In the future I own a red Barchetta.
                      Watch out for the gleaming alloy aircars.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                        I'll confess to being a gearhead, I've always loved cars and bikes especially working on them.
                        In 1990 9% of vehicles had over 200 HP.
                        In 2020 54% of vehicles have over 200 HP.

There are many cars with 300 HP that are around 30k. Ludicrous mode on Teslas. Lotus is releasing a 2000HP electric car.

Injuries and fatalities continue to steadily decrease over that same time period. Safety features like ABS, airbags, assisted suspensions and traction control can all lead to more control of vehicles.

It may not be popular but is it time to start regulating these cars? After all, the speed limit is 100, why allow cars on the road that can hit 320?

Vehicles are a lot larger now, and trucks make up a much larger percentage of sales than in the early 90's. These things make linear comparisons difficult.

With deaths and injuries steadily decreasing, despite many more vehicles on the road, why is now the time to looking at limiting output?
                        We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                        Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                        Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                        Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                        Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                        Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                        Srixon Star XV
                        Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

I would get the supercharged Lotus Exige with 460 HP.
                          I can remember when the Atom first came out and I saw one here on the highway. You could get one for like $25k. Years later, it was listed on autotrader as being the only one licensed in Ontario or something and was asking $100k.

I still have a soft spot for the older 90's Skyline GT-R's, but wouldn't turn down a newer one.

Comment

Both my SUV’s are 250hp plus. Neither would impress a gear head, they aren’t fast.

in fact my own red barchetta (ok it’s black - CLK500) isn’t fast by modern standards either. I won’t be surprised if it’s the last V8 I own. In fact that kinda why I bought it, to have one before they are outlawed.

Seeing manufacturers like Ford and Jag commit to all EV by 2025 it may be sooner than later.

amusingly the EV’s often accelerate faster than ICE cars. So the future won’t be slower.
                            Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
                            Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
                            Nike 23 degree hybrid
                            Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
                            Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
                            Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

My little mini is plenty fast when I need it but I don’t push it - just like working through the manual gearbox ✌️

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X