Collapse

Toronto Maple Leafs 2021-2022 Thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

Sorry, 2 replies got merged into 1 somehow. Try this again.

Bobby used to think he HAD to use tape per rules so he used as little as possible. But it was the old black, sticky, gooey friction tape (aka “Gordie Howe Tape”). That’s why the glass and end boards were so marked up back in the day, not from pucks so much.

For your grip you need this 2 in 1 grip tape. 12mm and 24mm wide on 1 roll together, pre cut. Photo edited to not violate forum rules.

Click image for larger version

Name:	590858EB-FB7E-4B04-BC4F-3ECF950DA85B.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	3490711
    For some reason I seem to remember Orr using white tape. But can't find any evidence of that.
    Did actually find a picture of him with a fully taped blade. Cannot remember him ever doing that.

Also remember a BIC pen commercial when they inserted a pen into his stick blade and he took shots with it. Also cannot find that.

I did attend a Hawks game in the mid/late 70's. Sat at one end of the rink. Watched a Hawks' defenseman on the other end make a remarkable breakout pass. Took a better look and realized that it was #4 in one of the few games he played for that franchise. He played so infrequently that we had almost forgotten that he was on the team.

https://imageevent.com/jeffintoronto/number4bobbyorr

Comment

• Originally posted by High cut View Post

No surprise at all. There is a lot more to the game than what catches the eye. I'm sure in your coaching days you had a lot of players that looked great going around pylons and disappeared in games. Lot's of times kids that look great in tryouts end up being the worst player on a team, sometimes they get cut because the coach knows who they really are (under pressure) but casual or uneducated observers freak out because they only see the surface.
      The absolute worst practice player I can ever remember seeing was Ian Turnbull. Not the lack of skill, but the lack of effort/commitment. Which showed in his results as a player. Has the record for most goals in a regular season game (5) and I believe still has the most points in a single season by a Leaf defenseman. But never made an all-star team and his career ended rather abruptly.

Regarding practice and tryouts, the emphasis is on flow drills, mini-games, and various drills/competitions/puck battles at 1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3 or with and uneven number of players.

Very little time spent standing around an waiting your turn, or skating drills without the puck, or practicing in 'open ice'.

Comment

• Tuuka Rask resigned in Boston for 1 mil? And we sign Mrasek for 3.8? I'm still hurting from trading Rask away in the first place. When the top four take so much of the cap you have to save it somewhere. Management could have done better. Ya I know maybe they weren't sold on Campbell but there has to be a crap shoot somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by nomullies View Post
          Tuuka Rask resigned in Boston for 1 mil? And we sign Mrasek for 3.8? I'm still hurting from trading Rask away in the first place. When the top four take so much of the cap you have to save it somewhere. Management could have done better. Ya I know maybe they weren't sold on Campbell but there has to be a crap shoot somewhere.
          Rask has said he wouldn’t play anywhere else but Boston

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Rask has said he wouldn’t play anywhere else but Boston
            And especially not in Toronto.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

Sorry, 2 replies got merged into 1 somehow. Try this again.

Bobby used to think he HAD to use tape per rules so he used as little as possible. But it was the old black, sticky, gooey friction tape (aka “Gordie Howe Tape”). That’s why the glass and end boards were so marked up back in the day, not from pucks so much.

For your grip you need this 2 in 1 grip tape. 12mm and 24mm wide on 1 roll together, pre cut. Photo edited to not violate forum rules.

Click image for larger version

Name:	590858EB-FB7E-4B04-BC4F-3ECF950DA85B.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	3490711
              Interesting. I’ve seen a competitor who sells the 12mm wide rolls for this, but haven’t seen this dual width product before.

I’m OCD about my tape job as well, will redo it for every beer league game and learned a lot of tricks from Savvy’s youtube. I’ll go back and forth between wide and narrow on the blade, but 99% of the time it’s white (unless i’m in a huge slump) and no idea how anyone goes toe to heel. I always wrap heel to toe and trim it off with scissors then add a little wax.

Comment

• Originally posted by NineNineSix View Post

Interesting. I’ve seen a competitor who sells the 12mm wide rolls for this, but haven’t seen this dual width product before.

I’m OCD about my tape job as well, will redo it for every beer league game and learned a lot of tricks from Savvy’s youtube. I’ll go back and forth between wide and narrow on the blade, but 99% of the time it’s white (unless i’m in a huge slump) and no idea how anyone goes toe to heel. I always wrap heel to toe and trim it off with scissors then add a little wax.
                And I’ve always wrapped toe to heel but I played goal or more recently D. There’s folklore that D tape toe to heel because they skate backwards a lot. Most of the stories about tape are lore anyway but fun nonetheless.

Comment

• Wow. Five minutes of pure excitement. Its nice to see Marner put one in.
                  In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                  and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

• Really nice steal for a goal by JT too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fredk View Post
                      Wow. Five minutes of pure excitement. Its nice to see Marner put one in.
                      Yeah, the 5 minutes I stepped out of the room
                      G410 Plus 10.5*
                      G25 4W 16.5*
                      G400 7W 20.5*
                      G400 3H & 4H 19* & 22*
                      G400 5 - UW
                      Glide 3.0 54/14 WS, 58/10 SS
                      SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)
                      Anser TR 1966

Mr. Ping Hooferlite bag

Comment

• Well that was a complete game. Best game of the season for the leafs.
                        In The Bag

Golf clubs

Comment

• Leafs need a defensemen that can defend.
                          Titleist TS3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                          TM M4 3wd w/ Fuji Speeder 857 TR X
                          Callaway BB Alpha 815 18-20 w/ Motore Speeder 865 X
                          Ping iBlades 4-PW w/ DGX100
                          Titleist Vokey Satin 54-58 DGS400
                          Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                          Ping Hoofer

Comment

• Originally posted by Lefty17 View Post
                            Leafs need a defensemen that can defend.
                            Both teams made mistakes and each time the other capitalized.
                            In The Bag

Golf clubs

Comment

• How tough can it be to flip the puck down the ice with six seconds left on the clock?

Comment

• Originally posted by Benz View Post
                                How tough can it be to flip the puck down the ice with six seconds left on the clock?
                                Tougher than it looked! Actually one time when I was still a beer league goalie we were up in the championship by 1 goal with seconds left and a faceoff in our end. We win the draw, our guy tries to flip it high, their D jumps, knocks it down, shoots and it is tipped in front of me for the tie and we lost it in OT.

But back on track, that was a hockey game. Good and entertaining with lots of goals both ways. Fun to watch a game like that.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X