Collapse

English Premier League 2021/22 season

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Premier League 2021/22 season

Today the new season starts. City are betting favs and I cannot disagree with that. Football in general was rocked by the Messi ordeal. Somebody will need to explain how PSG can abide by the Financial Fair play rules with Mbappe, Neymar and Messi on the same roster. But I digress. Can Arsenal get back to CL? Will Nuno make Spurs better? They have quietly picked up a few quality players this summer. I think Grealish will be great a City but prefers the same position as Sterling. Villa is my pick for a surprise quality team this season. Lukaku my pick for a disappointment, he may get a lot of quality feeds and has physical presence but he has never impressed in the EPL.
    Thoughts?

The answer to one of your questions is hell no after that performance

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post
      Today the new season starts. City are betting favs and I cannot disagree with that. Football in general was rocked by the Messi ordeal. Somebody will need to explain how PSG can abide by the Financial Fair play rules with Mbappe, Neymar and Messi on the same roster.But I digress. Can Arsenal get back to CL? Will Nuno make Spurs better? They have quietly picked up a few quality players this summer. I think Grealish will be great a City but prefers the same position as Sterling. Villa is my pick for a surprise quality team this season. Lukaku my pick for a disappointment, he may get a lot of quality feeds and has physical presence but he has never impressed in the EPL.
      Thoughts?
      They can negotiate some higher paying sponsor contracts, dump some players or a combination of both of those to balance the books, so to speak.

Well they did get off to the perfect start today. Brentford who? LOL
      Last edited by 4underthru9; Aug 13, 2021, 04:36 PM.
      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

They can negotiate some higher paying sponsor contracts, dump some players or a combination of both of those to balance the books, so to speak.

Well they did get off to the perfect start today. Brentford who? LOL
        I think City and PSG are sponsored by subsidiaries of their owner's companies and have found a way to skirt FFP and gotten away with it so far. No way either team who have little worldwide or local following deserve the sponsorship deals they have. City regularly did not sell out their own stadium pre-covid.
        Not surprised with the Arsenal result, they don't appear to have much of a plan.

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post
          Football in general was rocked by the Messi ordeal. Somebody will need to explain how PSG can abide by the Financial Fair play rules with Mbappe, Neymar and Messi on the same roster.
          I know there is a lot of confusion and questions and blatant call outs by everyone without understanding entirely how FFP works.

The FFP limit of a club is calculated in terms of revenue (income from matchday sales, TV rights deal, advertising, player sales and prize money) against a club's spending (activity in the transfer market and employee benefits including player and staff wages). Funds spent by a club on developing infrastructure, training or youth facilities will not be included.

For example with the PSG situation:
          Messi and everyone else in their transfer window apart from Hakimi was brought in on a free transfer meaning only a salary is needed to be paid for them. Messi's salary is 43m euro per season for this year and next. His shirts sales have sold 130m euros in the first 24 hrs. His entire salary for the two years + the salary of other players has already been covered from shirt sales on day 1 alone. Now factor in new/more shirt sales of the other names they brought in, they are essentially paying off all these contracts just by selling apparel.

In City's case with Grealish, his 120m transfer fee will be amortized over a 6 year period, so roughly only 20m will be counted on the books this year, which is also another reason they can still sign Kane or whoever. People are not realizing the total amount of transfer fees is split up over years and not counted as a whole in the year it was done. These teams also have stupid deals with tv rights and sponsors. Then you factor in everything else such as gate sales, competition money, outgoing transfers, etc. everyone is complying with the current rules.

Comment

Originally posted by jaybee View Post

I know there is a lot of confusion and questions and blatant call outs by everyone without understanding entirely how FFP works.

The FFP limit of a club is calculated in terms of revenue (income from matchday sales, TV rights deal, advertising, player sales and prize money) against a club's spending (activity in the transfer market and employee benefits including player and staff wages). Funds spent by a club on developing infrastructure, training or youth facilities will not be included.

Messi and everyone else in their transfer window apart from Hakimi was brought in on a free transfer meaning only a salary is needed to be paid for them. Messi's salary is 43m euro per season for this year and next. His shirts sales have sold 130m euros in the first 24 hrs. His entire salary for the two years + the salary of other players has already been covered from shirt sales on day 1 alone. Now factor in new/more shirt sales of the other names they brought in, they are essentially paying off all these contracts just by selling apparel.

In City's case with Grealish, his 120m transfer fee will be amortized over a 6 year period, so roughly only 20m will be counted on the books this year, which is also another reason they can still sign Kane or whoever. People are not realizing the total amount of transfer fees is split up over years and not counted as a whole in the year it was done. These teams also have stupid deals with tv rights and sponsors. Then you factor in everything else such as gate sales, competition money, outgoing transfers, etc. everyone is complying with the current rules.
            PSG don't get to keep all of that money - they get *maybe* a 15% cut.

Comment

Can Arsenal get back to CL? - they will be lucky to make Europa league

Will Nuno make Spurs better? - too early to tell but they have lost bale, and if they lose Kane they will be a mess. There will be no pieces available to fill the void and Son alone cannot carry the team

I think Grealish will be great a City but prefers the same position as Sterling.- think pep has made it clear that sterling is not in his ideal starting 11. Barely got game time last season and was so inconsistent. Expecting Grealish to start every game he is healthy. You dont pay 120m to have someone sit on the bench

Lukaku my pick for a disappointment, he may get a lot of quality feeds and has physical presence but he has never impressed in the EPL. - I have watched him dominate Serie A over the last few seasons and even international play. He was asked to do a lot at everton previously at a young age. He is a completely different player now and I feel he will be in top 3 scoring.

Predictions: City winners, Chelsea/United/Liverpool in spots 2-4. In spots 5-7 I would go with leceister, spurs and villa/leeds/west ham as an outside chance

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post

PSG don't get to keep all of that money - they get *maybe* a 15% cut.
                Of course, I think it was 13% I read..but it was more just stating the overall picture of how shirt sales will contribute to salaries easily. PSG will keep $16m in shirt sales on one day just from one player. Add in 5 new players to the team multiplied by X number of months. It will all add up in the end. Just as Barcelona is set to lose 34m in shirt sales this with his departure. Will easily be paid off imo

Comment

As someone else pointed out already, shirt revenue is not shirt profit. But I digress. The arguments both clubs had with FFP previously surrounded overly generous sponsorship packages provided by companies also owned by their ownership group. Arsenal's deal with Emerites was 90m over 15 years. City got 400 over 10 years from Etihad. Now City are trying to build a worldwide following but do not have it yet. The owner of City also owns Etihad airlines. Arsenal have one of the largest followings in the UK and a significant worldwide fan base. PSG have a similar deal with their ownership group. Nobody believes City should be getting larger sponsorship deals than Man U or Arsenal.

Comment

I think both Chelsea and Man U are going to be contenders.

City is a bit of an enigma to me this year. With Grealish and maybe Kane, how well will they gel together?

LIverpool with Dijk back, I hope they regain their hunger from 2 seasons ago.

Comment

so looks like ronaldo will be on his way to city by the end of the window. I wonder how this is going to disrupt the team if at all? Surely there are going to be some unhappy people losing playing time. Sterling, Jesus, Silva come to mind. Antonio has looked really good and same with Kukaku slotting right in

Elsewhere, Mbappe to Madrid pending?
                      Haaland to PSG perhaps?

This has been one of the craziest transfers windows of all time with so many big names moving all over the place. Who would have thought we would see messi v ronaldo in a city vs psg champions league game.

and on a side note, congrats to Buchanon for signing with Brugge. Another Canadian with huge potential. Unfortunate for his CL grouping though, but hey, welcome to Europe!

I think this could potentially be renamed to Footy 2021/22 rather than just focus on EPL. There is a lot going on this year all over the place

Comment

so looks like ronaldo will be on his way to city by the end of the window. I wonder how this is going to disrupt the team if at all? Surely there are going to be some unhappy people losing playing time. Sterling, Jesus, Silva come to mind.
                        Well then..this aged real well. Looks like a return to United is actually on the cards. What a diva

Comment

so looks like ronaldo will be on his way to city by the end of the window. I wonder how this is going to disrupt the team if at all? Surely there are going to be some unhappy people losing playing time. Sterling, Jesus, Silva come to mind. Antonio has looked really good and same with Kukaku slotting right in

Elsewhere, Mbappe to Madrid pending?
                          Haaland to PSG perhaps?
                          Cannot say I understand the Mbappe transfer, RM are rebuilding and are unlikely to compete for any major trophies this year. Mbappe wants to play for RM as it's his childhood dream. They can get him on a free transfer next summer. I would also hope Mbappe wants to play with Messi for a season.

Comment

Liverpool would be disappointed not to get all 3 points having to only play against 10 men for the entire 2nd half.

Will Arteta make it to Halloween?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
                              Liverpool would be disappointed not to get all 3 points having to only play against 10 men for the entire 2nd half.

Will Arteta make it to Halloween?
                              Liverpool did everything but score in the 2nd half against Chelsea. Not sure how I feel about the red card. While I am no fan of Arsenal, their choices in transfer market haven't been good going back to the Wenger years. Do you need Lacazette and Abamayang at premium prices on the same team? They do mostly the same thing and want to play the same position as just one example. The defenders they have bought haven't worked out well either. Arteta may take the blame but it want a great squad to begin with and hasn't been improved.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X