/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Felix Auger Aliassime

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Felix Auger Aliassime

    Seems to be lost in other shadows. While Denis Shapovalov has garnered attention for his at times brilliant play, Felix has been quietly improving to the point where he is in the semis at the US Open.

    Watching his last match he seems to have the maturity that Shapovalov still lacks.

    In The Bag

    Golf clubs


    "You're just expected to work and die ...
    and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

  • #2
    He's a joy to watch.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Fredk View Post
      Felix has been quietly improving to the point where he is in the semis at the US Open.
      Not so fast ... his QUARTER-FINAL match is tonight (Tuesday September 7). Fingers crossed.

      Comment


      • #4
        I really like watching Felix play but he is potentially playing the next Nadal in the match tonight. Would be a fantastic match to watch two guys with crazy future potential!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by smc66 View Post

          Not so fast ... his QUARTER-FINAL match is tonight (Tuesday September 7). Fingers crossed.
          Ha, yeah, I seem to like mixing those two up. Maybe I'm sending him good karma?
          In The Bag

          Golf clubs


          "You're just expected to work and die ...
          and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

          Comment


          • #6
            I didn’t expect to see the end of this match tonight! Wow another Canadian into the semis!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
              I didn’t expect to see the end of this match tonight! Wow another Canadian into the semis!
              Feel bad for the Spaniard having to quit. Some great rallies, would have liked to watch a couple more hours of that

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Fredk View Post

                Ha, yeah, I seem to like mixing those two up. Maybe I'm sending him good karma?
                Fredk - you are psychic!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by smc66 View Post

                  Fredk - you are psychic!
                  Nah, just extremely optimistic.
                  In The Bag

                  Golf clubs


                  "You're just expected to work and die ...
                  and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    FAA was lucky but he has made his own good fortune. With 2 Canucks in the semis, Canada is looking good. Hopefully FAA can make it to the final.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Fredk View Post
                      Seems to be lost in other shadows. While Denis Shapovalov has garnered attention for his at times brilliant play, Felix has been quietly improving to the point where he is in the semis at the US Open.

                      Watching his last match he seems to have the maturity that Shapovalov still lacks.
                      If you could make a hybrid between Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime you would likely have the next #1 player in the world. Denis pushes up to the line and goes over it a bit too much while Felix does not push the edge as much as he should. A bit from Column A and a bit from Column B would be ideal. Over time, the contrast is styles between the 2 will be fun to watch.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                        FAA was lucky but he has made his own good fortune. With 2 Canucks in the semis, Canada is looking good. Hopefully FAA can make it to the final.
                        Medvedev is going to be a tough one for FAA to get through. On paper Medvedev can outlast Felix but the match still has to be played and anything can happen obviously. Very good for him to be getting to the semis and having a shot at it though, the experience alone is worth it for him. Betting money so far is all strongly on Medvedev, 5.4 - 1 on Felix, 1.16 - 1 on Medvedev.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If I had to use a word for FAA is would be polished, as he seems to be getting more and more polished as his career evolves.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ginrin View Post
                            If I had to use a word for FAA is would be polished, as he seems to be getting more and more polished as his career evolves.
                            I have long thought FAA will end up being the best mens player in Canadian history when all is said and done, although Shapovalov has exceeded where I thought he would end up as a nice surprise and might raise the bar. So far neither of them have hit the peaks of Raonic but they are biting at his heels and they have lots of time to try and eclipse him. Raonic did make a major final and also hit a high of #3 in the world so that would be the current high water mark. I think winning at least one major has to be the goal for Denis and Felix as well as a top 5 ranking. Too bad for Milos he always played in the Roger / Rafa / Novak / Andy juggernaut years otherwise he might have a major or two to his name but thems the breaks. FAA has a very patient game and what is missing is the ability to pounce on mistakes and push to finish a point once he gains the advantage but you can see that developing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Another great win by a Canadian!

                              Too bad FAA was denied some of the joy of the win, the crowd was probably pretty split between the two non-American young phenoms, but they went pretty quiet when Alcaraz suddenly retired. It was a huge disappointment to them and they were tepid in acknowledging FAA's win and speech. Still, I'm sure he's happy enough...

                              In comparing him and Shapo to the greats, FAA seems almost Federer-like in his composure and athletic "grace" - great footwork and ability to stay in points and a strong-enough shot to end it when the opportunity arises.

                              Shapo seems more like Andy Roddick - quick and fidgety and powerful. It would be awesome if he could achieve Roddick's career and even better if he could learn how to control his game just a little more and go even higher. That would be something.

                              Anyways it's a tough sport and there's not a lot of room at the top - they're not alone in pursuing greatness out there, so I'm happy enough to watch them get as far as they can.
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Latest TGN Reviews


                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard


                              Collapse

                              Today's Birthdays


                              Working...
                              X