Felix Auger Aliassime

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
    Another great win by a Canadian!

Too bad FAA was denied some of the joy of the win, the crowd was probably pretty split between the two non-American young phenoms, but they went pretty quiet when Alcaraz suddenly retired. It was a huge disappointment to them and they were tepid in acknowledging FAA's win and speech. Still, I'm sure he's happy enough...

In comparing him and Shapo to the greats, FAA seems almost Federer-like in his composure and athletic "grace" - great footwork and ability to stay in points and a strong-enough shot to end it when the opportunity arises.

Shapo seems more like Andy Roddick - quick and fidgety and powerful. It would be awesome if he could achieve Roddick's career and even better if he could learn how to control his game just a little more and go even higher. That would be something.

Anyways it's a tough sport and there's not a lot of room at the top - they're not alone in pursuing greatness out there, so I'm happy enough to watch them get as far as they can.
    An additional $250K to go to the next round. I think he can find some joy in that :-).
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Another great win by a Canadian!

Too bad FAA was denied some of the joy of the win, the crowd was probably pretty split between the two non-American young phenoms, but they went pretty quiet when Alcaraz suddenly retired. It was a huge disappointment to them and they were tepid in acknowledging FAA's win and speech. Still, I'm sure he's happy enough...

In comparing him and Shapo to the greats, FAA seems almost Federer-like in his composure and athletic "grace" - great footwork and ability to stay in points and a strong-enough shot to end it when the opportunity arises.

Shapo seems more like Andy Roddick - quick and fidgety and powerful. It would be awesome if he could achieve Roddick's career and even better if he could learn how to control his game just a little more and go even higher. That would be something.

Anyways it's a tough sport and there's not a lot of room at the top - they're not alone in pursuing greatness out there, so I'm happy enough to watch them get as far as they can.
      Shapo is explosive and prone to extremes. FAA is methodical and very much controlled. I would say FAA can become like a Djoker. Shapo is like a Wawrinka, capable of hitting winners from anywhere.

Comment

I'm amazed that we are even having a conversation about who might be the greater men's tennis star.

Up until now, it has been maybe one player, male or female every 20 years that had any sort of break out year.
        In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post
          I'm amazed that we are even having a conversation about who might be the greater men's tennis star.

Up until now, it has been maybe one player, male or female every 20 years that had any sort of break out year.
          That is awesome isn’t it?

Comment

And... Felix's run has come to an end.

It was very even for the first 1.9 sets, then he missed a couple of chances to take the second set and that just seemed to take all the wind out of his sails. He played really inconsistently from then on.

Too bad - but in the long run he was the 12th seed and Medvedev was the 2nd and it kinda played out like that.

Better get the PVR set up for Leylah now. Wouldn't want to miss that.
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

And... Felix's run has come to an end.

It was very even for the first 1.9 sets, then he missed a couple of chances to take the second set and that just seemed to take all the wind out of his sails. He played really inconsistently from then on.

Too bad - but in the long run he was the 12th seed and Medvedev was the 2nd and it kinda played out like that.

Better get the PVR set up for Leylah now. Wouldn't want to miss that.
              I like FAA, but at 21, his game still has a lot of room to grow. Not totally unhappy with the outcome. Medvedev - Djoko final would be much more interesting.

Comment

Congrats to Shapovalov & Felix Auger Aliassime for defeating Spain in the ATP Cup.

The future for Canadian tennis is looking bright.

Be the reason someone drinks today.

Comment

Originally posted by ninja View Post
                  Congrats to Shapovalov & Felix Auger Aliassime for defeating Spain in the ATP Cup.

Freaking awesome and good on them for such an achievement!

Comment

Nice! Good on the boys to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by ninja View Post

That is awesome . . . too bad it didn't get more publicity . . . Tennis in Canada is in good hands . . .
                      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
                        Nice! Good on the boys to show up.
                        Great work by both those guys.

They looked pretty happy!
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

That is awesome . . . too bad it didn't get more publicity . . . Tennis in Canada is in good hands . . .
                          For better or worse when the matches start at 1 am our time they are not going to be a big TV draw here, even with PVRs, online replays, etc...

Not faulting the Aussies for this, they want to setup the matches for their best local viewing times.

I recorded them and started watching each morning when I woke up. Canada started poorly against the US but got better each round. Felix had a great win beating Zverev (#3 in the world) and they needed help from Great Britian to beat the US just to squeak into the semi's. Oddly enough, Felix never played that well until the final except for that Zverev match, even in the semi's he got waxed by Medveded (#2 in the world) and played poorly in the deciding doubles (Shapavalov won that one for us). However in the final both Dennis and Felix played very well against 2 of the steadiest players in the world from Spain.

Not sure what happens with that tourney if guys like Djokovic, Nadal, Rublev had been able to play. Definitely would have been tougher for Canada to win, but you can only play whoever is on the other side of the net so full marks for Canada pulling it through.

Another thing that will be interesting to see, over his career (albeit young career since he is still only 21) Felix has been 0 - 8 in ATP tour finals. Even though this was a bit different of a format it was a great sign to see Felix play strongly in a final and get a win. Here is hoping he can carry that through to the rest of the season and win a few tournaments along the way.

Lastly, the win moves Felix up to #9 in the world so he has cracked the top 10. Now he needs to back it up with a QF or better run at the Aussie Open.

Comment

Originally posted by pendlebg View Post

For better or worse when the matches start at 1 am our time they are not going to be a big TV draw here, even with PVRs, online replays, etc...

Not faulting the Aussies for this, they want to setup the matches for their best local viewing times.

I recorded them and started watching each morning when I woke up. Canada started poorly against the US but got better each round. Felix had a great win beating Zverev (#3 in the world) and they needed help from Great Britian to beat the US just to squeak into the semi's. Oddly enough, Felix never played that well until the final except for that Zverev match, even in the semi's he got waxed by Medveded (#2 in the world) and played poorly in the deciding doubles (Shapavalov won that one for us). However in the final both Dennis and Felix played very well against 2 of the steadiest players in the world from Spain.

Not sure what happens with that tourney if guys like Djokovic, Nadal, Rublev had been able to play. Definitely would have been tougher for Canada to win, but you can only play whoever is on the other side of the net so full marks for Canada pulling it through.

Another thing that will be interesting to see, over his career (albeit young career since he is still only 21) Felix has been 0 - 8 in ATP tour finals. Even though this was a bit different of a format it was a great sign to see Felix play strongly in a final and get a win. Here is hoping he can carry that through to the rest of the season and win a few tournaments along the way.

Lastly, the win moves Felix up to #9 in the world so he has cracked the top 10. Now he needs to back it up with a QF or better run at the Aussie Open.
                            Thanks . . . I was not really talking about TV more the sports news . . . unless you looked for it basically not much. Good on you to have followed all the games so closely. Felix in the top 10 is awesome . . . Now on the big stage, the Aussie Open . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

Thanks . . . I was not really talking about TV more the sports news . . . unless you looked for it basically not much. Good on you to have followed all the games so closely. Felix in the top 10 is awesome . . . Now on the big stage, the Aussie Open . . .
                              Yes but tennis has never had good coverage in Canada so not a surprise. It pops here and there when someone goes on a run but fades to the background just as quick. I suppose it is understandable that if we do not have a player in contention for a major final most people outside of tennis players tune out, the media seems keenly aware of that as well. I usually follow the ATP and WTA web sites but outside of that I feel like shaking my head if I spend time on tennis forums. Unfortunately those are loaded with fights about whose favourite player is better so completely cluttered with nonsense. As much as this forum gets posters who clutter the site with garbage on the whole it is readable and not nearly as bad as tennis sites. It is amazing how many people will spend half their day posting about how Borg would have trashed any player alive today or how David Nalbandian was truly the best player that ever lived but no one but one maniac poster seems to know that.

Comment

Felix wins the Rotterdam Open . . . well done young man!!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X