Felix Auger Aliassime

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    Well, he lost yesterday to Taylor Fritz 7-6 (4), 6-7 (5), 6-2 and that ends the tournament for him.

The first 2 sets were very even, although Fritz had more easy holds. Felix seemed to tire out in the 3rd.

How good is he?

Jimmy Connors says "It's good to see these young kids and how they are starting because nobody was stepping up. We were waiting for it, now it has started to happen. You know what the fun is gonna be: Alcaraz, Sinner, Felix, Rune all playing each other. That's the next Federer, Nadal and Djokovic."

That's a pretty strong endorsement. Let's hope it happens!

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    He beat Rafa 6-3 6-4 yesterday and became the first (maybe only) player born in the 2000s to have beaten Rafa, Federer and Djokovic.

Rafa looked a little out of sorts, maybe from a new baby?

Great for Felix though.

Leave a comment:

• Chambokl
    replied
    Originally posted by Fredk View Post
    Has he taken the next step or is this his moment in the sun? To me, he seems to have upped his game.
    He has definitely taken the next step. He has been on a tear . . . Hopefully the lost to Ruud doesn't cost him a chance for the semis . . .

Leave a comment:

• Fredk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
    So.... Felix is playing Rafa in the WTP Finals in Turin (Right NOW, on TSN5).

Has he taken the next step or is this his moment in the sun? To me, he seems to have upped his game.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    So.... Felix is playing Rafa in the WTP Finals in Turin (Right NOW, on TSN5).

He lost to Ruud in his first round robin match.

This tournament has only 8 players - the top 8 in the world. Felix is 5th now. That run of wins must have really pushed him up the rankings!

Pretty awesome, not getting a lot of press, and I'm gonna have to tape it and watch it later.

Leave a comment:

• Fredk
    replied

Hey, making it to the finals in any sport is VERY OKAY to me.

That's what I was saying in a cheeky way. I would be happy if the leafs made it to the quarters this year. That's not going to happen the way they are playing right now.

Here's hoping that Chapo can gain some consistency. He is a treat to watch when he is on his game.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Fredk View Post
    Does he know how to skate? Maybe he could help the leafs do "okay" and get into the semi finals this year. He's gotta be better than the zamboni driver.
    Hey, making it to the finals in any sport is VERY OKAY to me.

Out of the first round isn't particularly great, but it's not bad either. I'm still holding my breath for that one....

Leave a comment:

• Fredk
    replied

A pretty great week for the Cdn men.

Felix is on an unbelievable tear. Dunno where 3-in-a-row stands historically, but it's got to put him in very elite company.

Shapo did "okay" too, no shame in losing to that Medvedev guy, he's pretty good.
    Does he know how to skate? Maybe he could help the leafs do "okay" and get into the semi finals this year. He's gotta be better than the zamboni driver.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    Originally posted by nomullies View Post

And he was close to being out early. Then went on a tear. Super. I thought Shapo was there too. But Medvedev is simple stronger mentally. Still, maybe the hump is closer to being conquered, like Felix seems to be doing. The ladies are another matter.
    A pretty great week for the Cdn men.

Felix is on an unbelievable tear. Dunno where 3-in-a-row stands historically, but it's got to put him in very elite company.

Shapo did "okay" too, no shame in losing to that Medvedev guy, he's pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• nomullies
    replied
    Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
    3 tournament wins in the past 3 weeks, FAA is on fire!
    And he was close to being out early. Then went on a tear. Super. I thought Shapo was there too. But Medvedev is simple stronger mentally. Still, maybe the hump is closer to being conquered, like Felix seems to be doing. The ladies are another matter.

Leave a comment:

• Chambokl
    replied
    Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
    It is crazy how good he is playing. Just so happy for him. He is amazing . . .

Leave a comment:

• 4wedges
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hackerhare
    replied
    Originally posted by pendlebg View Post

Yes, Milos and Genie are well past their prime so doubtful any comeback will bring either back to former glory. Milos has an outside chance, Genie I think none. Bianca is still very young so hard to say. She certainly could return unless she has chronic physical problems as has been speculated (with her feet I believe).

Denis I think is going to be a bit of a rollercoaster ride, hard to predict with him. He is still going back and forth between deep runs in big tournaments and inexplicable first or second round losses to relative nobodies. Felix seems to have both the steadier game as well as the steadier psyche. I think both stay in the top 20 for several years but Felix I think will get himself in the top 5 for an extended run. I am not certain how Leyla turns out, just not sure she has the game to be a top 20 player for an extended run but then again I never thought she would crack it in the first place so what do I know.
    The biggest improvement I see in Felix' game is his second serve. Better placement, more power, and less double faults. Shapo is a mental case. Once he gets that under control, he's going to be tough to beat, with his big game.

Leave a comment:

• pendlebg
    replied
    Originally posted by nomullies View Post

I agree. Denis needs to tame his demons. Milos is constantly injured. Bianca too, although those commercials would make you think she is a beast. Genie? Lol. Great on social media.
    Yes, Milos and Genie are well past their prime so doubtful any comeback will bring either back to former glory. Milos has an outside chance, Genie I think none. Bianca is still very young so hard to say. She certainly could return unless she has chronic physical problems as has been speculated (with her feet I believe).

Denis I think is going to be a bit of a rollercoaster ride, hard to predict with him. He is still going back and forth between deep runs in big tournaments and inexplicable first or second round losses to relative nobodies. Felix seems to have both the steadier game as well as the steadier psyche. I think both stay in the top 20 for several years but Felix I think will get himself in the top 5 for an extended run. I am not certain how Leyla turns out, just not sure she has the game to be a top 20 player for an extended run but then again I never thought she would crack it in the first place so what do I know.

Leave a comment:

• nomullies
    replied
    Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
    His tennis has taken a step forward the past 2 months. His serve is much better than it has ever been and his unforced error rate has gone way down. Those were his two biggest weaknesses pre 2022 and he has clearly worked on addressing both. Also interesting that he is winning on fast courts as I see his natural abilities more designed for slower courts. If he keeps this going he will be top 5 later this year and will start to be considered a solid chance at winning a major sooner rather than later. I see him having the best chance to date of being the first Canadian #1 male in the world in the next few years.
    I agree. Denis needs to tame his demons. Milos is constantly injured. Bianca too, although those commercials would make you think she is a beast. Genie? Lol. Great on social media.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X