X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chambokl
    replied
    Originally posted by ninja View Post
    Congrats to Shapovalov & Felix Auger Aliassime for defeating Spain in the ATP Cup.

The future for Canadian tennis is looking bright.
    That is awesome . . . too bad it didn't get more publicity . . . Tennis in Canada is in good hands . . .

Leave a comment:

• nomullies
    replied
    Nice! Good on the boys to show up.

Leave a comment:

• Marty Canuck
    replied
    Originally posted by ninja View Post
    Congrats to Shapovalov & Felix Auger Aliassime for defeating Spain in the ATP Cup.

Freaking awesome and good on them for such an achievement!

Leave a comment:

• ninja
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hackerhare
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
    And... Felix's run has come to an end.

It was very even for the first 1.9 sets, then he missed a couple of chances to take the second set and that just seemed to take all the wind out of his sails. He played really inconsistently from then on.

Too bad - but in the long run he was the 12th seed and Medvedev was the 2nd and it kinda played out like that.

Better get the PVR set up for Leylah now. Wouldn't want to miss that.
    I like FAA, but at 21, his game still has a lot of room to grow. Not totally unhappy with the outcome. Medvedev - Djoko final would be much more interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    And... Felix's run has come to an end.

It was very even for the first 1.9 sets, then he missed a couple of chances to take the second set and that just seemed to take all the wind out of his sails. He played really inconsistently from then on.

Too bad - but in the long run he was the 12th seed and Medvedev was the 2nd and it kinda played out like that.

Better get the PVR set up for Leylah now. Wouldn't want to miss that.

Leave a comment:

• Marty Canuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Fredk View Post
    I'm amazed that we are even having a conversation about who might be the greater men's tennis star.

Up until now, it has been maybe one player, male or female every 20 years that had any sort of break out year.
    That is awesome isn’t it?

Leave a comment:

• Fredk
    replied
    I'm amazed that we are even having a conversation about who might be the greater men's tennis star.

Up until now, it has been maybe one player, male or female every 20 years that had any sort of break out year.

Leave a comment:

• hackerhare
    replied
    Another great win by a Canadian!

Too bad FAA was denied some of the joy of the win, the crowd was probably pretty split between the two non-American young phenoms, but they went pretty quiet when Alcaraz suddenly retired. It was a huge disappointment to them and they were tepid in acknowledging FAA's win and speech. Still, I'm sure he's happy enough...

In comparing him and Shapo to the greats, FAA seems almost Federer-like in his composure and athletic "grace" - great footwork and ability to stay in points and a strong-enough shot to end it when the opportunity arises.

Shapo seems more like Andy Roddick - quick and fidgety and powerful. It would be awesome if he could achieve Roddick's career and even better if he could learn how to control his game just a little more and go even higher. That would be something.

Anyways it's a tough sport and there's not a lot of room at the top - they're not alone in pursuing greatness out there, so I'm happy enough to watch them get as far as they can.
    Shapo is explosive and prone to extremes. FAA is methodical and very much controlled. I would say FAA can become like a Djoker. Shapo is like a Wawrinka, capable of hitting winners from anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffc
    replied

Too bad FAA was denied some of the joy of the win, the crowd was probably pretty split between the two non-American young phenoms, but they went pretty quiet when Alcaraz suddenly retired. It was a huge disappointment to them and they were tepid in acknowledging FAA's win and speech. Still, I'm sure he's happy enough...

In comparing him and Shapo to the greats, FAA seems almost Federer-like in his composure and athletic "grace" - great footwork and ability to stay in points and a strong-enough shot to end it when the opportunity arises.

Shapo seems more like Andy Roddick - quick and fidgety and powerful. It would be awesome if he could achieve Roddick's career and even better if he could learn how to control his game just a little more and go even higher. That would be something.

Anyways it's a tough sport and there's not a lot of room at the top - they're not alone in pursuing greatness out there, so I'm happy enough to watch them get as far as they can.
    An additional $250K to go to the next round. I think he can find some joy in that :-).

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pendlebg
    replied
    Originally posted by ginrin View Post
    If I had to use a word for FAA is would be polished, as he seems to be getting more and more polished as his career evolves.
    I have long thought FAA will end up being the best mens player in Canadian history when all is said and done, although Shapovalov has exceeded where I thought he would end up as a nice surprise and might raise the bar. So far neither of them have hit the peaks of Raonic but they are biting at his heels and they have lots of time to try and eclipse him. Raonic did make a major final and also hit a high of #3 in the world so that would be the current high water mark. I think winning at least one major has to be the goal for Denis and Felix as well as a top 5 ranking. Too bad for Milos he always played in the Roger / Rafa / Novak / Andy juggernaut years otherwise he might have a major or two to his name but thems the breaks. FAA has a very patient game and what is missing is the ability to pounce on mistakes and push to finish a point once he gains the advantage but you can see that developing.

Leave a comment:

• ginrin
    replied
    If I had to use a word for FAA is would be polished, as he seems to be getting more and more polished as his career evolves.

Leave a comment:

• pendlebg
    replied
    Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
    FAA was lucky but he has made his own good fortune. With 2 Canucks in the semis, Canada is looking good. Hopefully FAA can make it to the final.
    Medvedev is going to be a tough one for FAA to get through. On paper Medvedev can outlast Felix but the match still has to be played and anything can happen obviously. Very good for him to be getting to the semis and having a shot at it though, the experience alone is worth it for him. Betting money so far is all strongly on Medvedev, 5.4 - 1 on Felix, 1.16 - 1 on Medvedev.

Leave a comment:

• pendlebg
    replied
    Originally posted by Fredk View Post
    Seems to be lost in other shadows. While Denis Shapovalov has garnered attention for his at times brilliant play, Felix has been quietly improving to the point where he is in the semis at the US Open.

Watching his last match he seems to have the maturity that Shapovalov still lacks.
    If you could make a hybrid between Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime you would likely have the next #1 player in the world. Denis pushes up to the line and goes over it a bit too much while Felix does not push the edge as much as he should. A bit from Column A and a bit from Column B would be ideal. Over time, the contrast is styles between the 2 will be fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X