Collapse

Ottawa Senators 2021-22 Thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ottawa Senators 2021-22 Thread

Didn’t find one in search and I know there are fans or willing panelists here to talk about them.

Gustavsson got the start tonight against the Leafs. Good on him he earned it.

I quipped to my wife “he probably cost them a few spots in the draft but the whole team did play very well down the stretch.

Comment

I’m a big fan of the Sens. They should have a good year, no playoffs but definite improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
        I’m a big fan of the Sens. They should have a good year, no playoffs but definite improvement.
        They have become a quite likeable team. Young, hardworking, etc

playoffs will be unlikely but would be nice to see them have a decent season.

Comment

The team is shaping up nicely with a lot of young talent. They need to get Tkachuk signed, which they will, just whether it's a bridge deal or long term contract. Norris, Batherson, Stutzle should continue to grow as players and this team should be tough to play against.

Goaltending is still a question mark, but again, lots of youth with Gus and Sogaard. The D should be better and can't wait for Sanderson to arrive later in the season.

All in all, gonna be a fun year.
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

If they get goaltending and the young guys don't take a step back in year 2, as some tend to do, they could surprise people this year. I love seeing how well Connor Brown is playing right now - and hate that the Leafs pretty much gave him away.

Comment

I have the Sens finishing 5th in the division, which probably leaves them on the outside looking in as I don’t think both wildcards will be coming out of the same division this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                The team is shaping up nicely with a lot of young talent. They need to get Tkachuk signed, which they will, just whether it's a bridge deal or long term contract. Norris, Batherson, Stutzle should continue to grow as players and this team should be tough to play against.

Goaltending is still a question mark, but again, lots of youth with Gus and Sogaard. The D should be better and can't wait for Sanderson to arrive later in the season.

All in all, gonna be a fun year.
                If you are so certain they will sign Tkachuk, why haven't they yet? It's not as though the Tkachuk "clan" doesn't have a history of tough negotiations (and sitting out). In my view they need him bad and might have to roll over and give him whatever he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

If you are so certain they will sign Tkachuk, why haven't they yet? It's not as though the Tkachuk "clan" doesn't have a history of tough negotiations (and sitting out). In my view they need him bad and might have to roll over and give him whatever he wants.
                  It's called negotiation and it takes time. Tkachuk wants to be here and holds most of the leverage but he has no where else to go. Varying rumours indicate it comes down to deal structure, rather than length of deal and $. Missing camp usually isn't great for a player and I am sure Keith and his agent are heavily influencing things, but ultimately a deal will get done. Deadlines like the start of the season usually make for a good time to get something done. We will see.

Comment

It's called negotiation and it takes time. Tkachuk wants to be here and holds most of the leverage but he has no where else to go. Varying rumours indicate it comes down to deal structure, rather than length of deal and $. Missing camp usually isn't great for a player and I am sure Keith and his agent are heavily influencing things, but ultimately a deal will get done. Deadlines like the start of the season usually make for a good time to get something done. We will see.
                    I agree, but the longer they avoid signing him, the bigger the problem gets. I am sure they wish to avoid the leaf problems of signing young guys to a lot (too much?) of money and crowding the supporting cast out of the cap.

Comment

I agree, but the longer they avoid signing him, the bigger the problem gets. I am sure they wish to avoid the leaf problems of signing young guys to a lot (too much?) of money and crowding the supporting cast out of the cap.
                      yep, but without knowing the details of the negotiations, it is difficult to say for sure. Melnyk is a cheap SOB, doesn't like paying signing bonuses and is not well loved by fans. If they can't agree on a long term deal, then a bridge deal should be the fall back, and easier to negotiate. Lots of unknowns as well with the cap, revenues, etc. which makes these deals that much more difficult than a few years back.

Comment

yep, but without knowing the details of the negotiations, it is difficult to say for sure. Melnyk is a cheap SOB, doesn't like paying signing bonuses and is not well loved by fans. If they can't agree on a long term deal, then a bridge deal should be the fall back, and easier to negotiate. Lots of unknowns as well with the cap, revenues, etc. which makes these deals that much more difficult than a few years back.
                        I don't think Minnesota did Ottawa (or Vancouver) any favours with the deal they signed with Kaprizov. Or Colorado's deal with Makar. These guys are signed for major $$$ before showing they can do anything in the post season (not unlike Marner, Nylander, Matthews ...).

Comment

I don't think Minnesota did Ottawa (or Vancouver) any favours with the deal they signed with Kaprizov. Or Colorado's deal with Makar. These guys are signed for major $$$ before showing they can do anything in the post season (not unlike Marner, Nylander, Matthews ...).
                          Pretty sure I read that Brady turned down an 8x8

Comment

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

Why wouldn't he? He must think he should be getting (at least) Hischier money? Or Kaprisov? Or Marner? Maybe Marner and Hischier were done pre pandemic and things have changed but Makar and Kaprisov were post covid. Ultimately Melnyk is going to have to say "what's it going to take?" to Brady and deal with the others when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

That’s insane.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...