Ottawa Senators 2021-22 Thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

Pretty sure I read that Brady turned down an 8x8
    I have followed this from the start and nowhere have I heard that. And from what I have heard, it's not so much the length and $, but the structure, signing bonuses and NMC
    Last edited by Jeffc; Sep 30, 2021, 07:32 PM.
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

I don't think Minnesota did Ottawa (or Vancouver) any favours with the deal they signed with Kaprizov. Or Colorado's deal with Makar. These guys are signed for major $$$ before showing they can do anything in the post season (not unlike Marner, Nylander, Matthews ...).
      Kaprisov is 5x9 and points wise he is well ahead of Brady, almost a point a game and he came in with several years in the KHL. While there likely is no direct comparable for BT, since he is a bit of a unique player, the Svechnikov deal (8x7.75) is a pretty good comparable in terms of both being in the same draft year, high picks and about the same scoring pace. The Sens won't do anything dumb, if they can't get a long term deal done, they they will do a bridge. I have little concern over BT being a playoff performer, the guy is literally built for the playoffs.
      Last edited by Jeffc; Sep 30, 2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

I have followed this from the start and nowhere have I heard that. And from what I have heard, it's not so much the length and $, but the structure, signing bonuses and NMC
        Sorry, not necessarily ‘turned down’, but if it was “discussed”, I assume Tkachuk’s camp turned it down.. this is the same deal Chabot signed in 2019.

“It’s believed the Senators and Tkachuk’s camp have discussed multiple options, ranging from short-term to long-term, including a reported eight-year, $64 million contract.”

Comment

Hughes and Petersson getting close to signing according to Darren Dreger. That leaves BT as the last high profile RFA.

Comment

Sorry, not necessarily ‘turned down’, but if it was “discussed”, I assume Tkachuk’s camp turned it down.. this is the same deal Chabot signed in 2019.

“It’s believed the Senators and Tkachuk’s camp have discussed multiple options, ranging from short-term to long-term, including a reported eight-year, $64 million contract.”

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/sept...will-be-signed
            yes, discussed. Not turned down though.

I have not heard anything was turned down, just ongoing discussions, and as much about structure as anything else. I think 8x8 is a good number both sides can work.

Comment

He can't have a NMC clause until he is either 27 or has 7 years of NHL experience. I believe the hold-up is the bonus money that Uncle Eugene is not keen on giving out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by threeputt View Post

He can't have a NMC clause until he is either 27 or has 7 years of NHL experience. I believe the hold-up is the bonus money that Uncle Eugene is not keen on giving out!!!
                Correct and yes.

Comment

Kaprisov is 5x9 and points wise he is well ahead of Brady, almost a point a game and he came in with several years in the KHL. While there likely is no direct comparable for BT, since he is a bit of a unique player, the Svechnikov deal (8x7.75) is a pretty good comparable in terms of both being in the same draft year, high picks and about the same scoring pace. The Sens won't do anything dumb, if they can't get a long term deal done, they they will do a bridge. I have little concern over BT being a playoff performer, the guy is literally built for the playoffs.
                  I wouldn’t count on the bolded part - this is Melnyk we are talking about. If he tries to sign tkachuk (their “marquis” player?) “on the cheap” then what will be the attraction of Ottawa as a place to sign? Weather? Taxes? Hometown discounts? Urban sophistication? I think getting this signing right is critical to the Senators and I wish I shared your faith in management.

Comment

I wouldn’t count on the bolded part - this is Melnyk we are talking about. If he tries to sign tkachuk (their “marquis” player?) “on the cheap” then what will be the attraction of Ottawa as a place to sign? Weather? Taxes? Hometown discounts? Urban sophistication? I think getting this signing right is critical to the Senators and I wish I shared your faith in management.
                    He’s the last RFA standing now and his two practice mates have just been signed and headed to camp in Vancouver so hopefully this will push things along. both Hughes and Pettersson signed for less than 8m. If 8x8 is the offer then that is very fair to both sides and far from cheaping out. The attraction right now is this is a young exciting team that is fast, plays hard and will grow and improve together with no big egos. There are a bunch of other guys that will need to be signed in the coming years so while there is lots of cap space now, they are trying to avoid a Leafs type scenario.

Comment

He’s the last RFA standing now and his two practice mates have just been signed and headed to camp in Vancouver so hopefully this will push things along. both Hughes and Pettersson signed for less than 8m. If 8x8 is the offer then that is very fair to both sides and far from cheaping out. The attraction right now is this is a young exciting team that is fast, plays hard and will grow and improve together with no big egos. There are a bunch of other guys that will need to be signed in the coming years so while there is lots of cap space now, they are trying to avoid a Leafs type scenario.
                      Given Brady’s style of play, you would think he would jump at an 8 year deal. The guaranteed money is a nice insurance policy for any possible future injuries that may diminish his effectiveness and his value to the team, say in the next 3-5 years, if he were to get injured over the course of a bridge deal.

The Sens ‘big four’ in Tkachuk, Stuetzle, Batherson, and Norris are not nearly as good as the Leafs ‘big four’, so the percentage of cap spent will undoubtedly be less.

Comment

Given Brady’s style of play, you would think he would jump at an 8 year deal. The guaranteed money is a nice insurance policy for any possible future injuries that may diminish his effectiveness and his value to the team, say in the next 3-5 years, if he were to get injured over the course of a bridge deal.

The Sens ‘big four’ in Tkachuk, Stuetzle, Batherson, and Norris are not nearly as good as the Leafs ‘big four’, so the percentage of cap spent will undoubtedly be less.
                        I agree on those 4, and they will come in around $30m or so when they are all signed which leaves cash to sign some other pieces.

id rather that setup then what the leafs have right now. While less talented on paper, they play with a lot of heart and this team will be the essence of team. Pinto looks to be slotting nicely into 2C and Zub will need to be resigned in 2 years.

still have Sanderson to come on D plus a bunch of others, JBD, Sokolov, Gregg, Klevin, Formenton, not to mention so fantastic goalie prospects.

If Brady weren’t a Tkachuk he’d likely be sighed by now. Contrast to Batherson whose dad was a career minor leaguer who never made a ton of cash so Drake jumped at a 5 year $30m deal to secure his financial future

Comment

I think it was Pierre Lebrun who made a comment last night about Brady wanting $8.4M or more and that the Sens are south of that number. His dad is worth about $50M so they are not hurting for dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by threeputt View Post
                            I think it was Pierre Lebrun who made a comment last night about Brady wanting $8.4M or more and that the Sens are south of that number. His dad is worth about $50M so they are not hurting for dollars.
                            That and structure of how and when the $ are paid. Rumour is sens have offered 8x8 so it’s likely close and by all means fair.

Comment

That and structure of how and when the $ are paid. Rumour is sens have offered 8x8 so it’s likely close and by all means fair.
                              Let me play devil’s advocate. You wouldn’t trade Tkachuk for Marner. Marner is paid much more. You don’t think Tkachuk sees Marner’s contract and wants something like that? Marner scores more points, Tkachuk brings different (equally valuable) attributes.

Comment

Let me play devil’s advocate. You wouldn’t trade Tkachuk for Marner. Marner is paid much more. You don’t think Tkachuk sees Marner’s contract and wants something like that? Marner scores more points, Tkachuk brings different (equally valuable) attributes.
                                Completely different players. I’ll take BT based on what I think he brings to the Sens. No, there is no way BT thinks he is worth or has any hope of getting $11M.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X