Collapse

Trudeau Government Term 3

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trudeau Government Term 3

"OK, the election is over and he has another mandate, of sorts, different ball park and a different assortment of opponents."

Well, that's how the Term 2 thread started, and I don't have much to add. I just thought we might as well have a new thread for the new term to keep things consistent.

So far he's off to a great start!

Celebrating the sport first developed by indigenous peoples of Polynesia, he went surfing in Tofino on the National Day of Truth and Reconciliation. He was wearing a black wetsuit, but I'm sure he had orange swim trunks on underneath. Anything else would be hypocritical.

In keeping with the theme of the day, his official journal said he was busy in private meetings in Ottawa. I note he used the ancient language of BullSkrit to make his announcement.

Ever onward....

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

The promise of getting fresh drinking water to First Nations must also be completed by now. Just when you thought it was the least he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
      "OK, the election is over and he has another mandate, of sorts, different ball park and a different assortment of opponents."

Well, that's how the Term 2 thread started, and I don't have much to add. I just thought we might as well have a new thread for the new term to keep things consistent.

So far he's off to a great start!

Celebrating the sport first developed by indigenous peoples of Polynesia, he went surfing in Tofino on the National Day of Truth and Reconciliation. He was wearing a black wetsuit, but I'm sure he had orange swim trunks on underneath. Anything else would be hypocritical.

In keeping with the theme of the day, his official journal said he was busy in private meetings in Ottawa. I note he used the ancient language of BullSkrit to make his announcement.

Ever onward....
      This is the man that we chose to re-elect and lead our country...albeit without much alternative. It will be 18 months with more of the same until another election is called...lots of talk but the old 'do as I say, not as I do' mantra will be on full display. Having said that it goes for 99% of these politicians at every level of government not just him.

Gord Downie must be rolling over in his grave, if anybody remembers The Hip's last show he made a point to describe Trudeau as the man to finally set things right on this issue. That was 5 years ago now.

Comment

For somebody who made indigenous issues a priority in all 3 of his campaigns... his record on the actual issues (and optics) are.... terrible. Reserves still don't have potable water, appealing a decision that would pay residential school survivors, goes on vacation on the first ever 'Truth and Reconciliation day'... when 'confronted' by an indigenous protestor at a liberal party fundraiser, PM blackface replied with "thanks for your donation".

Comment

Over promise and under deliver. A routine that would get you vilified in 'the real world' but seems to work in Canadian politics.

Comment

sunny ways, sunny ways

Comment

Funny how drinking water on reserves keeps coming up. It is the one thing that this government has mostly delivered on, somewhere around 85% completion. Compare that to previous governments, both Liberal and Conservative, who just kicked the can down the road on this issue.

Heading all the way to Tofino to vacation without making a stop at the site of the residential school grave discoveries, particularly since he had been invited, several times, is the kind of tone deaf we have come to expect from this government.
              In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
              and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post
                Funny how drinking water on reserves keeps coming up. It is the one thing that this government has mostly delivered on, somewhere around 85% completion. Compare that to previous governments, both Liberal and Conservative, who just kicked the can down the road on this issue.

Heading all the way to Tofino to vacation without making a stop at the site of the residential school grave discoveries, particularly since he had been invited, several times, is the kind of tone deaf we have come to expect from this government.
                The first thing he needs to do is fire his handlers.

It would have been so easy to fly to Kamloops, put on an orange shirt and a feather headdress and mumble a few platitudes. He could have been back on the jet by 11AM and touching down in Tofino by noon, surfing by 12:30.

This, after the Bollywood suits disaster? Fire them, fire them all.....
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

Trudeau's progressive messaging is just messaging. He probably actually believes that the principles he espouses are principles that people should hold, but he stops short of practising those principles, because his privilege is so extreme. Not wanting to let yesterday get in the way of his fun ... that's just typical.

As for the Truth and Reconciliation calls to action -- the government has only legitimately completed 13 of those calls. They've actually done more with the incomplete ones than they get credit for, but they're still a long, long way from anything remotely acceptable. Better than their predecessors, for sure; the Harper Conservatives had to be strongarmed into a half-hearted acceptance of UNDRIP, but on the other hand, the Liberals were the ones who came to power vowing to complete all the calls to action in the TRC report. We're six years in with a long way to go. This sort of epic failure comes from wanting to do the right thing, but not wanting to work all that hard at it. And again, yesterday was a prime example of who Trudeau is. The declaration of the holiday was actually one of the calls to action that the government accomplished ... but Trudeau saw it as a vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
                    He probably actually believes that the principles he espouses are principles that people should hold, but he stops short of practising those principles, because his privilege is so extreme. Not wanting to let yesterday get in the way of his fun ... that's just typical.

This sort of epic failure comes from wanting to do the right thing, but not wanting to work all that hard at it. And again, yesterday was a prime example of who Trudeau is. The declaration of the holiday was actually one of the calls to action that the government accomplished ... but Trudeau saw it as a vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
                      Trudeau's progressive messaging is just messaging. He probably actually believes that the principles he espouses are principles that people should hold, but he stops short of practising those principles, because his privilege is so extreme. Not wanting to let yesterday get in the way of his fun ... that's just typical.

As for the Truth and Reconciliation calls to action -- the government has only legitimately completed 13 of those calls. They've actually done more with the incomplete ones than they get credit for, but they're still a long, long way from anything remotely acceptable. Better than their predecessors, for sure; the Harper Conservatives had to be strongarmed into a half-hearted acceptance of UNDRIP, but on the other hand, the Liberals were the ones who came to power vowing to complete all the calls to action in the TRC report. We're six years in with a long way to go. This sort of epic failure comes from wanting to do the right thing, but not wanting to work all that hard at it. And again, yesterday was a prime example of who Trudeau is. The declaration of the holiday was actually one of the calls to action that the government accomplished ... but Trudeau saw it as a vacation.
                      Good post all around.

It is also worth noting that some parts of Truth and Reconciliation are difficult to implement because the involve provincial and even local jurisdiction. My daughter worked in indigenous affairs for a summer and had an inside view of treaty negotiations. A lot of that is held up by provinces and, in come cases, even municipalities.
                      In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                      and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Good post all around.

It is also worth noting that some parts of Truth and Reconciliation are difficult to implement because the involve provincial and even local jurisdiction. My daughter worked in indigenous affairs for a summer and had an inside view of treaty negotiations. A lot of that is held up by provinces and, in come cases, even municipalities.
                        Yes, and some are the responsibility of the churches involved in residential schools (who have actually done more than we might assume), one is, famously, the responsibility of the Pope, and a few are the responsibility of the corporate community. The latter will undoubtedly always be incomplete, because unanimous voluntary action from a large community like that is virtually impossible. I believe about 70-75 of the calls to action involve the Federal government, so I shouldn't slam only the Liberals. There are some that the Feds actually have done their part on, and we're just waiting on some provinces. The Feds still have a poor record, of course, but the calls to action aren't all on them.

Comment

Good post all around.

For sure this. I know there are all sorts of huge implications for municipalities arising from treaty negotiations.
                          We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                          Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                          Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                          Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                          Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                          Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                          Srixon Star XV
                          Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Trudeau is such a CLOWN.

It wouldn't have been too difficult for him to fly to Kamloops or Vancouver to attend an event for an hour and then head back to Tofino.

Comment

In fairness to our illustrious virtue signaling PM….how is clean drinking water the responsibility of the government? Anybody who isn’t on city water in rural Canada needs to figure out their own drinking water be in from a well with some type of water filtration system or bottled water don’t they?
                              Why are reserves not capable of getting some type of water treatment system installed and are waiting for the Feds? Wouldn’t clean water be kinda like job 1?
                              Or are all reserves dealing with chemically contaminated water from mining operations or something?
                              This whole clean water thing never made any sense to me insofar as why are they waiting to get it?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X