Vinyl Records Valuations/Buyers ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Records Valuations/Buyers ?

Winter project...

Searched the forum and found a couple very dated threads (2008) looking for info regarding classic rock album vinyl values. Looking for recommendations (good or bad) on stores/persons/websites to research regarding valuations for original pressings, limited runs, bootleg pressings etc. (in addition to the Kijiji / Ebay ones I've already checked).

I only have about 4 milk cartons worth of LP's but I was pretty obsessed in my youth about taking care of them as I often bought two copies of an original release - one to play and a back up, outfitted them with anti-static dust sleeves, outer cover sleeves etc.

Don't mind making a road trip to wherever if its worth my time...

Discogs is a good spot to look , usually has every pressing listed, what things have sold for, rating systems etc

Facebook Marketplace is full of listings as well as ebay , can help to establish pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
      Discogs is a good spot to look , usually has every pressing listed, what things have sold for, rating systems etc

Facebook Marketplace is full of listings as well as ebay , can help to establish pricing.
      Thank ya Sir..

Comment

Check out auction sites in and around your area (and within a reasonable drive) as I've seen quite a few collections being sold off in estate sales before we moved.

Comment

I’ve got a huge amount of old vinyl that was my inlaws in my basement. Would love to move it out.

Comment

Is OP selling or buying?

I thought the latter, anyroads, Queen Street West in TO could be the go to place for vinyl:

Including KOPS. https://www.kopsrecords.ca/

and or COSMOS: https://www.cosmosrecords.ca/
            plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
              Is OP selling or buying?

I thought the latter, anyroads, Queen Street West in TO could be the go to place for vinyl:

Including KOPS. https://www.kopsrecords.ca/

and or COSMOS: https://www.cosmosrecords.ca/
              Selling...thanks for the info Sir

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
                Check out auction sites in and around your area (and within a reasonable drive) as I've seen quite a few collections being sold off in estate sales before we moved.
                Auction sites are fine for a one off dump but you wont get much in terms of their value. Maxsold might be the best for that IMO.

same with selling to a record store, they need to make a profit and will generally give 10-30% depending and they are picky when it comes to rating their grade. There is a local guy here who buys used records but at flat rate of 1-3 $ each.

when my good friend passed away in 2018 , I was charged with selling his belongings, he left a few hundred albums. They were individually valued in the mid thousands but as a lot 2 Toronto record stores offered well under $1000. I sold about 1/2 individually through here, Facebook , kijiji and CAM. It took many months , the rest as a lot to a collector.

the time consuming part of selling individually is grading, you need to not only visually inspect the covers, vinyl, label but listen to the album to identify any issues, pops, skips, etc. Otherwise you can just slap a price of $5 or $10 and hope for the best that someone is willing to take the risk for a low $ amount. You will see many lots like this on FB and Kijijij
                Last edited by Weirfan; Dec 29, 2021, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                  the time consuming part of selling individually is grading, you need to not only visually inspect the covers, vinyl, label but listen to the album to identify any issues, pops, skips, etc.
                  ^^ This.
                  Even just making a list of all my vinyl seemed like way too much work ( this was about 6-7 years ago now ). Like the OP, I had about 600+ albums, all with internal Angel sleeves and plastic covers for the outside. I put it up as a generic lot of 1970-1980's albums lot on Canuck Audio Mart. One local Waterloo guy showed up. And like most audio / music guys, we kabitzed for a long time and I really connected with him. He was a recently divorced guy and music was his outlet. I knew my vinyl was going to a good home so I sold them for a measly $600. When I showed my wife the $600 , she said " Wow! " . I said if I put the effort into it, I could have easily made probably $2000+ but not worth my time to do so.
                  WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
                  Titleist TSi2 11* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
                  Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* and 24* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
                  Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
                  Cleveland RTX4 54* & 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
                  Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
                  Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw

Comment

About 10 years ago, I sold my mint Dual 704 turntable and 200 albums for $200. I now have about 300 CDs and 150+ Blu-Rays and DVDs.
                    TXG Custom King Cobra F9 9.5* , Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                    TXG Custom King Cobra F9 14.5*,Accra FX 140 2.0 M3
                    TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 17.5*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                    TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
                    TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
                    TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/07, 56/10, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo
                    TXG Custom PXG Brandon, 34.5"

Comment

A couple of gems I’d completely forgot about…Moving Pictures from 1981 and paid $3.99 for my third copy of it on sale at Mister Sound in Hamilton. Album still has its original wrap and price tag from 1981..!!
                      Also a half speed remaster of Floyd’s Wish You Were Here I bought in 1980 and Dark Side of the Moon in pristine condition with all of the original posters and stickers…crazy!!
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	BAB20C2E-B7CD-42C8-9FE4-C7B6291459A8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	119.9 KB ID:	3483493 Click image for larger version  Name:	E3C42D7A-41CB-4F15-A07F-93C2B8AB0386.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	174.0 KB ID:	3483494 Click image for larger version  Name:	DB7297B2-E3EE-4EE2-AA33-4289662FB64E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	3483495

Comment

Beat Goes on, there's one in Oakville. I bought and sold used CD's through them years ago. They're still around. I've attached a link to their locations.

​​​​​​https://www.beatgoeson.com/location.php

Comment

Originally posted by PingGuy View Post
                          Beat Goes on, there's one in Oakville. I bought and sold used CD's through them years ago. They're still around. I've attached a link to their locations.

​​​​​​https://www.beatgoeson.com/location.php
                          thank ya Sir..

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
                            A couple of gems I’d completely forgot about…Moving Pictures from 1981 and paid $3.99 for my third copy of it on sale at Mister Sound in Hamilton. Album still has its original wrap and price tag from 1981..!!
                            Also a half speed remaster of Floyd’s Wish You Were Here I bought in 1980 and Dark Side of the Moon in pristine condition with all of the original posters and stickers…crazy!!
                            Click image for larger version Name:	BAB20C2E-B7CD-42C8-9FE4-C7B6291459A8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	119.9 KB ID:	3483493 Click image for larger version Name:	E3C42D7A-41CB-4F15-A07F-93C2B8AB0386.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	174.0 KB ID:	3483494 Click image for larger version Name:	DB7297B2-E3EE-4EE2-AA33-4289662FB64E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	3483495
                            These are desirable albums but very common, we have a few copies of each.

the unopened Rush is probably your best bet for $$$.

If you have the time and patience Definitely sell this yourself and don't use a retailer.

I sold a couple new in shrink rock albums from the 70's and they all fetched well over $50. People are willing to pay more because they know the condition is mint.

good luck

Comment

I sold about 700 albums last summer. 2 guys came and looked at them. They said they were not re sellers, I didnt care, I just wanted to get rid of them, I was moving. I had an ad on kijiji for a turntable that mentioned I also had albums I would be selling. Both guys called me within 15 minutes of my turntable ad.

My experience was they both offered more than they were willing to pay, Expect that if you want to unload them all. I still have the freakin turntable ! and no vinyl. The turntable is way lighter and easier to move than the vinyl. Good luck !

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X