No announcement yet.
Collapse

Annual Rogers Song and Dance

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine how much overhead Rogers and Bell would save by eliminating all these special offers and going to a common price structure for everyone. Offer good, better, best for each category (internet, TV, mobile, phone) and a percentage discount for each service you add. Simple, yet effective.

I know they offer deals to help win new customers, but it just leaves existing and long term customers feeling like they're being cheated all the time, or that they're losing out on a deal by staying put.

I'm sure they must have done some sort of cost analysis to determine that their current structures are more profitable, but I'd be interested in what the potential savings would be by streamlining their offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post
      Imagine how much overhead Rogers and Bell would save by eliminating all these special offers and going to a common price structure for everyone. Offer good, better, best for each category (internet, TV, mobile, phone) and a percentage discount for each service you add. Simple, yet effective.

I know they offer deals to help win new customers, but it just leaves existing and long term customers feeling like they're being cheated all the time, or that they're losing out on a deal by staying put.

I'm sure they must have done some sort of cost analysis to determine that their current structures are more profitable, but I'd be interested in what the potential savings would be by streamlining their offerings.
      It is definitely frustrating and majorly time consuming on all fronts. I think they count on that and that many won't 1) jump through the hoops and 2) those people subsidize the lower paying and new customers. My parents don't have much more than me in terms of services but pay a heck of a lot more.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post

You'd think this would be good business. But no, let's do promos that are different for everybody. And now they seem to be playing hardball. Trouble is even though I'm willing to leave, the alternatives are pretty bad. Even if I find a decent ISP, the cost plus some sort of TV doesn't even beat the offer from Rogers. I've found decent promotions elsewhere only to read those companies are rated very poorly.

Hence the title of the thread. Very frustrated at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

You'd think this would be good business. But no, let's do promos that are different for everybody. And now they seem to be playing hardball. Trouble is even though I'm willing to leave, the alternatives are pretty bad. Even if I find a decent ISP, the cost plus some sort of TV doesn't even beat the offer from Rogers. I've found decent promotions elsewhere only to read those companies are rated very poorly.

Hence the title of the thread. Very frustrated at the moment.
          Where I live (new build) I have exactly two options at this point, Bell or Rogers. TekSavvy told me that they won't allow them to piggy back on their fibre networks here. So much for competition.

Comment

Well, just got off the phone from my annual Rogers song and dance routine.
            Amazingly;
            it went extremely well had the proposed $28.25 increase reduced to a $1.13 increase for my existing
            Internet, TV, Home phone and Cell phone bundle.
            I asked three times. What I am losing? Told absolutely nothing exact same bundle.
            Got a feeling maybe they are feeling the hurt, because the last few days wait times were said to be up to 3 hours with no call back option.
            Today's call back was just over half an hour.
            Not sure if telling the lady that 46 years ago I would see Ted Rogers walk passed our house every morning on his way to the office.
            I did not mention that back then we were also praying he would not notice that the neighbour and us had a splitter between the houses. LOL
            Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

We apprehensively decided to switch over to Bell last week. We've had 3 different install technicians visit our building so far and still no service. Definitely second guessing our decision.

Comment

Three times given the same crappy offer. Despite having cancel date. Second two just looked at the first offer and repeated it. Best they can do. BS. Worse yet they quoted $7 for golf channel even though it's included in the sports package. I've looked at alternatives galore and nothing works. Bell too. Sigh.

Comment

Three times given the same crappy offer. Despite having cancel date. Second two just looked at the first offer and repeated it. Best they can do. BS. Worse yet they quoted $7 for golf channel even though it's included in the sports package. I've looked at alternatives galore and nothing works. Bell too. Sigh.
                  Is this Winback?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

Is this Winback?
                    No not yet. Another number mentioned on redflag. My Feb 1 cancel date has been in for a week. If winback doesn't call me soon l'll call them.

Comment

No not yet. Another number mentioned on redflag. My Feb 1 cancel date has been in for a week. If winback doesn't call me soon l'll call them.
                      Some people are getting good deals on RFD but you have to go the win back route

Comment

I am so glad that I got out of the annual dance with Rogers and/or Bell. I just have cheap internet with Carrytel ($50/mo on rogers cable lines), Ooma VOIP home phone with unlimited long distance in NA ($5/mo), no cable TV at all (just free OTA) and stream the occasion movie or show on an android box. Saved over $2k per year. Don't watch a lot of sports, aside from HNIC on CBC and golf on NBC, which I get in HD via OTA. Kids don't watch TV these days and spend all their time on TikTok, Youtube, etc. etc., so I didn't see the point of paying for cable that no one watched. We don't miss it at all.
                        Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post
                          I am so glad that I got out of the annual dance with Rogers and/or Bell. I just have cheap internet with Carrytel ($50/mo on rogers cable lines), Ooma VOIP home phone with unlimited long distance in NA ($5/mo), no cable TV at all (just free OTA) and stream the occasion movie or show on an android box. Saved over $2k per year. Don't watch a lot of sports, aside from HNIC on CBC and golf on NBC, which I get in HD via OTA. Kids don't watch TV these days and spend all their time on TikTok, Youtube, etc. etc., so I didn't see the point of paying for cable that no one watched. We don't miss it at all.
                          I like your move. But I need access to bball, hockey, football, etc.. My kids are all grown up and pay for internet only and no TV. Of course using dad's access to hockey, Netflix, etc. is useful. They aren't dumb. But way different than me. Re OTA what kind of antenna? Where is it pointed? Keep in mind the wife will not tolerate anything out of sorts hanging on the outside of the house.

Also how is your Carrytel internet? I've read mixed reviews.
                          Last edited by nomullies; Jan 17, 2022, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I like your move. But I need access to bball, hockey, football, etc.. My kids are all grown up and pay for internet only and no TV. Of course using dad's access to hockey, Netflix, etc. is useful. They aren't dumb. But way different than me. Re OTA what kind of antenna? Where is it pointed? Keep in mind the wife will not tolerate anything out of sorts hanging on the outside of the house.

Also how is your Carrytel internet? I've read mixed reviews.
                            Carrytel has been good. I've been with them for about 5 years. Only 1 major outage that was their fault (sort of) when a construction crew cut through one of their lines. Took a couple of days to get up and running. Other outages were the same as what Rogers has since the rest of the lines are theirs. Had an issue with a router this past Xmas and called customer service. Was talking to a live tech in about 3 minutes and had the problem solved within 30 min. I would recommend them to anyone who wants cheaper basic internet. I had way more problems with Bell and Rogers than Carrytel.

My OTA antenna is a 4 bay antenna mounted on a pole attached to my chimney, so it sits quite high up. Not really that unsightly. Don't even notice that it is there any more. Its pointed towards the Buffalo towers. I get all the usual Cdn channels (CBC, City, Global, etc) and quite a few US channels (FOX,CBS, NBC, and a few others). Overall about 20-30 channels. The rest I stream off an android box. There are more discreet antennas that can be mounted in the attic if that is an isssue. But the more stuff you put in the way, the poorer the reception.

As you indicated, access to sports is limited. I'm not an NFL fan, but there are lots of games OTA on Sunday to watch and College ball on Saturdays. Golf on NBC. Hockey on CBC. But you won't get the TSN and Sportnet range of content. Sometimes if I really want to watch something on TSN, I use VLC media player and find some IPTV links, but that's complicated if you are not technically inclined in that sort of stuff.

Let me know if you have any other Q's.
                            Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post

Carrytel has been good. I've been with them for about 5 years. Only 1 major outage that was their fault (sort of) when a construction crew cut through one of their lines. Took a couple of days to get up and running. Other outages were the same as what Rogers has since the rest of the lines are theirs. Had an issue with a router this past Xmas and called customer service. Was talking to a live tech in about 3 minutes and had the problem solved within 30 min. I would recommend them to anyone who wants cheaper basic internet. I had way more problems with Bell and Rogers than Carrytel.

My OTA antenna is a 4 bay antenna mounted on a pole attached to my chimney, so it sits quite high up. Not really that unsightly. Don't even notice that it is there any more. Its pointed towards the Buffalo towers. I get all the usual Cdn channels (CBC, City, Global, etc) and quite a few US channels (FOX,CBS, NBC, and a few others). Overall about 20-30 channels. The rest I stream off an android box. There are more discreet antennas that can be mounted in the attic if that is an isssue. But the more stuff you put in the way, the poorer the reception.

As you indicated, access to sports is limited. I'm not an NFL fan, but there are lots of games OTA on Sunday to watch and College ball on Saturdays. Golf on NBC. Hockey on CBC. But you won't get the TSN and Sportnet range of content. Sometimes if I really want to watch something on TSN, I use VLC media player and find some IPTV links, but that's complicated if you are not technically inclined in that sort of stuff.

Let me know if you have any other Q's.
                              Thanks L2C. I've dabbled with IPTV stuff with some success. But I don't think it would work for my wife. Especially when I'm not around. As it is Rogers wifi is often sketchy and and I'm permanent tech help. She does like the Ignite remote and keeping things super simple. If it were me on my own I'd send Rogers packing.

Comment

Thanks L2C. I've dabbled with IPTV stuff with some success. But I don't think it would work for my wife. Especially when I'm not around. As it is Rogers wifi is often sketchy and and I'm permanent tech help. She does like the Ignite remote and keeping things super simple. If it were me on my own I'd send Rogers packing.
                                Sorry to hear about your Rogers troubles. I was on CHAT with them again today, but only to double check that the deal they gave me was for real.
                                Will have to wait for the actual billings and credits to come through on the due dates before I am 100% convinced.
                                In all the years I have been doing this, it was the easiest and with the small increase % ever.
                                Plus they improved my cell plan without an increase at all. Just got the feeling they must be hurting.
                                Know what you mean about the wife, lady of the house here is also not too great with the existing set up so going more tech would be a disaster.
                                Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X