Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Anyone playing WGT online golf game these days? Share tips here.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone playing WGT online golf game these days? Share tips here.

Not sure if this belongs under "instruction" topic. It's not quite the same as outdoor golf but can sometimes be entertaining (at least, i find so). Let's use this spot to share tips. I'll get the ball rolling:

I think I've got my putting distances pretty good. I take the shown distance and add/subtract the elevation change. So a 20 feet putt with a 6 inch elevation comes up to a 26 foot putt (i do the opposite if the putt is downhill) . From there, i do a quick calculation to reduce that distance by the slope of the greens which I've developed through trial and error. For championship slope (13), I reduce my distance by 30%. In the previous example, that would be 26 feet less 30% for a net distance of around 18 feet (give or take). For the other slopes, here are my factors....Tournament 12 (-25%), Tournament 11 (-17%), Very Fast 10 (-12%). I can do the calculation pretty quickly with a small calculator and I've got masking tape on my monitor with a scale 1-100% on it in 10% increments.

I haven't quite figured out how much break to give my putts (trial and error adjusted for length, slope and break around the cup). I'm also struggling with chipping if anyone has any similar tip.

Awesome. I play everyday. Up to 76. Long game OK but short game still a mess. I swear some decisions work while the same don't on other holes. I'll try to use your tips. Friend me and we can chat and play. Doublemilk.

Comment

Originally posted by foreright99 View Post
      Not sure if this belongs under "instruction" topic. It's not quite the same as outdoor golf but can sometimes be entertaining (at least, i find so). Let's use this spot to share tips. I'll get the ball rolling:

I think I've got my putting distances pretty good. I take the shown distance and add/subtract the elevation change. So a 20 feet putt with a 6 inch elevation comes up to a 26 foot putt (i do the opposite if the putt is downhill) . From there, i do a quick calculation to reduce that distance by the slope of the greens which I've developed through trial and error. For championship slope (13), I reduce my distance by 30%. In the previous example, that would be 26 feet less 30% for a net distance of around 18 feet (give or take). For the other slopes, here are my factors....Tournament 12 (-25%), Tournament 11 (-17%), Very Fast 10 (-12%). I can do the calculation pretty quickly with a small calculator and I've got masking tape on my monitor with a scale 1-100% on it in 10% increments.

I haven't quite figured out how much break to give my putts (trial and error adjusted for length, slope and break around the cup). I'm also struggling with chipping if anyone has any similar tip.
      Still have not figured out how much the various lies affect the chip.

I’m mostly frustrated with lack of distance. I’ve played on and off but I think unless you want to spend a lot of $$ on a video game you’re mostly stuck with “inferior” equipment that really limits you. Granted they have put a lot into the game but I’m just not that big on gaming.

Comment

hey Marty, I refuse to pay a nickle for any options. As a result, I've got the standard equipment and crappy driver. But the good news is that they usually put me on the red tees when i compete with others. Yeah, sometimes i'm still behind in the fairway but with good irons, you can get pars most of the time. Others usually try to bomb it and get in trouble. Don't worry about the equipment....just have fun (win or lose)

Comment

^^^^ Sadly I've done a ton of their stupid surveys to collect coins and buy better clubs. I got tired of having people pound it out there. If you can't beat them, join them I guess. The tees do help for levels. I'm mostly frustrated by the short game and being unable to figure out the math. Also being in fescue can be a nightmare. Not sure why some fairway bunkers can be hit out of but most are just a 100 yard pw out.

Comment

BUNKER TIP:

Oh yeah, fescue is a killer. I try to play safe and stay in the fairway. If it's a par 5, i try to hit the middle of the green in 3 and stay out of trouble. I also have problems with bunkers - although i see some guys hit long shots out. Perhaps it's their better clubs. With a 30/40% bunker lie and using a pitching wedge, i can get it out about 50 yards. It gets worse if the bunker lie is 40/50% or 50-60%. I find that using a long iron just makes things worse. I once tried using a 6 iron and ended up with a 9 yard shot. Looks like take the club the course suggests and hit it sideways if necessary. {unless someone has better experience doing something different]

Comment

ELEVATION CHANGE TIP FROM FAIRWAY OR TEE:

I find that if the green is below you, I take one less club for every 15 yards of drop.

Comment

Originally posted by foreright99 View Post
                BUNKER TIP:

Oh yeah, fescue is a killer. I try to play safe and stay in the fairway. If it's a par 5, i try to hit the middle of the green in 3 and stay out of trouble. I also have problems with bunkers - although i see some guys hit long shots out. Perhaps it's their better clubs. With a 30/40% bunker lie and using a pitching wedge, i can get it out about 50 yards. It gets worse if the bunker lie is 40/50% or 50-60%. I find that using a long iron just makes things worse. I once tried using a 6 iron and ended up with a 9 yard shot. Looks like take the club the course suggests and hit it sideways if necessary. {unless someone has better experience doing something different]
                I’m OK out of greenside bunkers with favourable lies but I can never seem to get out of a FW bunker clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

I’m OK out of greenside bunkers with favourable lies but I can never seem to get out of a FW bunker clean.
                  If the fairway bunkers default to PW then it's just an out and I play it so. Sometimes they give you the appropriate club, e.g., 3 iron from 190, meaning you can swing away. But it you don't hit it on the screws, you get screwed. I agree greenside bunkers aren't normally an issue for me. Many times better than being way above or below and just off the green.

Comment

I find that the hard packed fairway bunkers of Pinehurst #2 will allow for longer irons.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X