X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well done Aussies. Send the lying tosser home

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

This part seems underreported (and perhaps underestimated by Team Novaxx).

My (very limited) understanding is that if he's unsuccessful in appealing the Minister's cancellation of his visa, he cannot return to Aus for 3 years. Not sure why he's chosen to roll the dice against such stiff odds.

"Hawke used section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel Djokovic’s visa for a second time. Under this ruling, the 20-time Grand Slam champion will not be able to get another visa into Australia for three years – basically ending his hopes of winning the title again.
      However there are exemptions to this, typically on compassionate grounds, and it’s unclear how this would be applied to a tennis player."
      Maybe they can have the next Australian Open in New Zealand so he can play?

Comment

My (very limited) understanding is that if he's unsuccessful in appealing the Minister's cancellation of his visa, he cannot return to Aus for 3 years. Not sure why he's chosen to roll the dice against such stiff odds.

"Hawke used section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel Djokovic’s visa for a second time. Under this ruling, the 20-time Grand Slam champion will not be able to get another visa into Australia for three years – basically ending his hopes of winning the title again.
        However there are exemptions to this, typically on compassionate grounds, and it’s unclear how this would be applied to a tennis player."
        If he is declared "Deported" he can't return for 3 years . . . I don't know if it can be called something else, like visa refused . . . will they work around this??? Maybe . . .
        If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

If he is declared "Deported" he can't return for 3 years . . . I don't know if it can be called something else, like visa refused . . . will they work around this??? Maybe . . .
          I think next year it would be up to the political whims of the Aussie government. They could probably claim some form of special circumstance and let him come back and play, or not. I would expect that they would make no such decision until next fall as I would think there is no reason to give in to Djokovic currently for something a full year away. Also, the next Australian Open will come after the Federal Election that should happen in 2022 so the decision makers could be completely different.

Another update, the tournament has declared the top half of the draw will play Monday, which means Djokovic's match is officially scheduled to be on Monday. The reasons for this are mainly the players still in the semis and the finals of this weeks tournament in Adelaide are mainly in the bottom half so get the extra day to get to Melbourne and prepare to play for Tuesday. So the organizers have done this as they would have any other year. It also means Djokovic needs to officially win his legal battle before Sunday night to be allowed to play his match on Monday. I supposed they could slot him into a night match to give an extra few hours on Monday if legal proceedings continue beyond Sunday. I still think it is a moot point as I do not expect his lawyers to get the decision overturned.

Comment

If the full weight of all of the various laws he may have broken are brought to bear on Djokovic he could face jail time in all 3 of Australia, Serbia, and Spain. I seriously doubt that would happen but you can bet there are much poorer, much less famous people who have spent time in jail in all 3 countries for breaking the exact same laws.

Comment

• Thanks Pendlebg for all the infos . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by pendlebg View Post

If the full weight of all of the various laws he may have broken are brought to bear on Djokovic he could face jail time in all 3 of Australia, Serbia, and Spain. I seriously doubt that would happen but you can bet there are much poorer, much less famous people who have spent time in jail in all 3 countries for breaking the exact same laws.
                Well, maybe those poorer, less famous people should have spent less of their time breaking laws and more time working on their return of serve and double-handed backhands like Djokovic did.

Hard for me to have sympathy for anyone who's not a world-class tennis player.....
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

• This article seems to be the best overview of the entire situation from people on the ground, including the backstory of how Australian immigration policy has been a thorny issue for a long time within Australia to add that context to how this is being handled, for better or worse. Worth the read for anyone wanting to understand how this is viewed locally.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenn...x=1642155840-1

Comment

Well, maybe those poorer, less famous people should have spent less of their time breaking laws and more time working on their return of serve and double-handed backhands like Djokovic did.

Hard for me to have sympathy for anyone who's not a world-class tennis player.....
                    Makes me think I should travel with a huge tennis bag strapped over my back wherever I go from here on in.

Comment

• I made a comment on the BleacherReport website about how he shouldn't be able to play and the first response said I likely would support the Nazis if they were still around. and then said I was a Commie. I was so confused.
                      WITB
                      9.5 Nike Covert
                      15 TM Rocketballz
                      3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                      52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                      TM White Smoke

Comment

Makes me think I should travel with a huge tennis bag strapped over my back wherever I go from here on in.
                        Haha - I travel with mine all the time - it’s the best! Bigger than a regular carryon bag - can fit all of my stuff into the bag and it’s exempted as carryon

Comment

• Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
                          I made a comment on the BleacherReport website about how he shouldn't be able to play and the first response said I likely would support the Nazis if they were still around. and then said I was a Commie. I was so confused.
                          Now it makes sense . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
                            I made a comment on the BleacherReport website about how he shouldn't be able to play and the first response said I likely would support the Nazis if they were still around. and then said I was a Commie. I was so confused.
                            Brought to you by the same people who don't want to let immigrants into their country
                            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

This article seems to be the best overview of the entire situation from people on the ground, including the backstory of how Australian immigration policy has been a thorny issue for a long time within Australia to add that context to how this is being handled, for better or worse. Worth the read for anyone wanting to understand how this is viewed locally.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tenn...x=1642155840-1
                              Thanks for the link. Very thorough.

Comment

• An interesting article on NoVaxx's anti vaccination beliefs...

If he is such a believer in telekinesis and telepathy, couldn't he just stay home, and not only play, but win his matches?

How many people here believe in telekinesis?... raise my hand.

The world No 1’s long-held belief in alternative medicine has fuelled his resistance towards the vaccine
                                TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X