Collapse

A School Won 92-4 in Basketball. Then the Coach Was Suspended

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A School Won 92-4 in Basketball. Then the Coach Was Suspended

Sacred Heart Academy, a Catholic high school for girls in Hamden, Conn., said that running up the score against Lyman Hall High School did not mesh with its values.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	422
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	3488039

Sounds like Western vs Windsor in football.
    In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
    Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
    TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
    PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
    TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
    TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

A guy has to be a real loser to get any gratification from running up the score in a girl's basketball game.

I can't wait to hear his statement saying "That's not who I am.". Except, it really is.

Sorry, not sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
        A guy has to be a real loser to get any gratification from running up the score in a girl's basketball game.

I can't wait to hear his statement saying "That's not who I am.". Except, it really is.

Sorry, not sorry...
        They get paid down there, it's an actual job unlike up here where it's basically which teacher will volunteer their time. If you have a team that can't score more than 4 points in a game, maybe rethink having a team...

Comment

Absolutely awful . . .

Lyman Hall Coach Tom Lipka told the Hartford Courant that the Kirck’s team “showed no mercy throughout.”

“Sacred Heart pressed for most of the first half then called it off and went into a tight man-to-man defense trying to get steals,” Lipka said.

“They fast-breaked the entire game right to the end. They never went into a zone and continued to push the ball up the court and shoot threes whenever they could,” he continued. “They showed no mercy throughout.”

The Courant noted that Sacred Heart pulled its starters in the fourth quarter while 12 different players scored.

He knew before the game started that it was going to be a blowout. You mixed up starter with subs and make 2 lines . . . play zone . . . absolutely no fast break . . . let the weaker players take more shots . . . At the end the score is 46-10 and nobody hears about it. He deserved all the criticizing . . . You respect the other team and players . . .

If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
            . A guy has to be a real loser to

you could just have stopped there
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
              Absolutely awful . . .

Lyman Hall Coach Tom Lipka told the Hartford Courant that the Kirck’s team “showed no mercy throughout.”

“Sacred Heart pressed for most of the first half then called it off and went into a tight man-to-man defense trying to get steals,” Lipka said.

“They fast-breaked the entire game right to the end. They never went into a zone and continued to push the ball up the court and shoot threes whenever they could,” he continued. “They showed no mercy throughout.”

The Courant noted that Sacred Heart pulled its starters in the fourth quarter while 12 different players scored.

He knew before the game started that it was going to be a blowout. You mixed up starter with subs and make 2 lines . . . play zone . . . absolutely no fast break . . . let the weaker players take more shots . . . At the end the score is 46-10 and nobody hears about it. He deserved all the criticizing . . . You respect the other team and players . . .
              This works. I've been on both ends. You have to work on something with the starters. But after 15-20 up pull it back. Unless of course the other guy did it to you in another year....

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post

They get paid down there, it's an actual job unlike up here where it's basically which teacher will volunteer their time. If you have a team that can't score more than 4 points in a game, maybe rethink having a team...
                There is no need to do that. 6-4 would have resulted in the same team result. That is an extreme example on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

There is no need to do that. 6-4 would have resulted in the same team result. That is an extreme example on purpose.
                  I disagree. As I said, this is a real job down there, if anything, this was just a practice for his squad. People need to stop getting butt hurt over competition like it's a bad thing. If your team is that bad, and you still decide to field it, the rest is on you, not trying to seek mercy from the other side to save face.

Coddling the other school for 32 mins is far more insulting than what this score is. I'm sure it was already known that this was going to be a likely outcome, so why even bother playing the game at that point? If he was to play soft, he might lose his team (the real priority for him) after drilling into them hard work and dedication, which I'm sure the girls did if they are among the best in the state.

When we went to the US to play a couple of schools in high school, we would beat the piss out of the JV squad because that one didn't matter. Had to lose to the V squad and if we didn't, their coach would likely get fired from a $50k a year job in the early 2000s to coach high school bball. We didn't care as it was a road trip and got pizza.

Comment

I disagree. As I said, this is a real job down there, if anything, this was just a practice for his squad. People need to stop getting butt hurt over competition like it's a bad thing. If your team is that bad, and you still decide to field it, the rest is on you, not trying to seek mercy from the other side to save face.

Coddling the other school for 32 mins is far more insulting than what this score is. I'm sure it was already known that this was going to be a likely outcome, so why even bother playing the game at that point? If he was to play soft, he might lose his team (the real priority for him) after drilling into them hard work and dedication, which I'm sure the girls did if they are among the best in the state.

When we went to the US to play a couple of schools in high school, we would beat the piss out of the JV squad because that one didn't matter. Had to lose to the V squad and if we didn't, their coach would likely get fired from a $50k a year job in the early 2000s to coach high school bball. We didn't care as it was a road trip and got pizza.
                    It’s called sportsmanship. Coach is a douche.
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

It’s called sportsmanship. Coach is a douche.
                      Only goes so far. I'd bet he's under a fair amount of pressure, did what he felt was best for his team and stuck with it. I think sportsmanship is vastly over rated and would take a team with drive over sportsmanship any day.

If his team didn't feel this was a good idea or are against his style, then I'm sure more will come out given the story has gotten out. If his team is fine with it, are you then going to call them out as well?

Comment

Maybe the 4-point team plays for the sport of it and the experience.

The other team, however, just plays to make others look bad.

Comment

Only goes so far. I'd bet he's under a fair amount of pressure, did what he felt was best for his team and stuck with it. I think sportsmanship is vastly over rated and would take a team with drive over sportsmanship any day.

If his team didn't feel this was a good idea or are against his style, then I'm sure more will come out given the story has gotten out. If his team is fine with it, are you then going to call them out as well?
                          You can be a great coach and not be a douche.

the school agreed and suspended him.

and a catholic school no less.
                          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

The team may have been fine with it (or not) but he got suspended from his job.

So his bosses were not okay with it. So if "it's a real job down there", then he should have been smarter at figuring out exactly what his job was.
                            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

This works. I've been on both ends. You have to work on something with the starters. But after 15-20 up pull it back. Unless of course the other guy did it to you in another year....
                              We had a very small school . . . between 100 and 150 kids . . . so I have been on both side of it. I had some chances to beat up on other teams . . . but that is not the way you teach kids. Respect your opponent always . . .

This guy is a loser . . . hopefully at 47 years old he has learn his lesson . . .

Come on gwelfgulfer . . . he finally pulled his starters in the 4th quarter . . . this is a chance to play your bottom/younger players and give them some valuable experience . . . also some teaching/coaching moments . . .
                              If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X