Collapse

Alcohol -> Cancer ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol -> Cancer ???

Just when I started to enjoy my newly discovered $8/bottle RED WINE, this comes out
    What is going on - I thought that a bit of "spirits" especially Red Wine was supposed to be GOOD for us, not cause CANCER ???
    Oh, BTW, this is NOT GOING TO STOP ME FROM HAVING a bit of Wine at dinner, that's for sure , just was curious to hear some of your comments/thoughts on all this.

CBC 4 days ago as follows:
    "Alcohol is one of the top three causes of preventable cancer, so why aren’t Canadians being informed about the risks? Health experts say it's time to put warning labels on alcohol — something the industry has pushed back against"

Last edited by veryold; Jan 8, 2022, 09:11 PM.

Too much of anything is probably bad for you.

Comment

My family doc mentioned it to me an a visit maybe.... 5-6 years ago. That was the first I'd heard about it.

However..... there were already plenty of other risks associated with it. I knew it was something to be careful with.
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
        Too much of anything is probably bad for you.
        Well, that's the thing: they stress that "ANY AMOUNT" is bad ...

Comment

I’ll go with the French and reduction in heart diseases
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
            Yeah, maybe for cancer. But small amounts seem to be good for heart health.

I'm not too worried about my heart though, my active friends keep it pretty busy.

My biggest fear is a combination of dementia and running out of money. So all these dire warnings of health risks from virtually everything are part of my early (not too early) exit strategy.

Also, wine tastes great and gives a nice mellow buzz. YOLO.
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
              Think that horse is already out of the barn at our ages.

Comment

There was a Netflix documentary a couple of years ago about this topic too. Ultimately what I got out of it was moderation.

I just started collecting whiskeys this past year and sample everyday (1-2 drams). Probably should cut back a little!

Everyone is different, some people have a high tolerance some people don't.
                Last edited by kookie; Jan 8, 2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I don't give a ****.
                  I am 82, drink 4 to 6 cups of good coffee and 250ml of red wine everyday.
                  Have done ever since I owned a bar in Italy for 7 years over 40 years ago
                  and made very good use of those surroundings.
                  To the best of my knowledge I am the longest living male in my family.
                  By the way I do have MGUS that nobody seems to understand, it hasn't caused
                  any discomfort or inconveniences other than having to go for annual check ups.
                  But none of the above has killed me yet, so I say BS.
                  Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                    I don't give a ****.
                    I am 82, drink 4 to 6 cups of good coffee and 250ml of red wine everyday.
                    Have done ever since I owned a bar in Italy for 7 years over 40 years ago
                    and made very good use of those surroundings.
                    To the best of my knowledge I am the longest living male in my family.
                    By the way I do have MGUS that nobody seems to understand, it hasn't caused
                    any discomfort or inconveniences other than having to go for annual check ups.
                    But none of the above has killed me yet, so I say BS.
                    Hey man, good for you. A sample of one is not a good guideline so please understand others may have different outcomes.

But otherwise totally happy for you and hope I do as well.

Comment

"They ask you ˹O Prophet˺ about alcohol and gambling. Say, “There is great evil in both, as well as some benefit for people—but the evil outweighs the benefit.”.....Quran 2:219

Comment

My steed was put out to pasture long ago.

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

Think that horse is already out of the barn at our ages.
                        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Seems nothing we do is good for us.

I grew up in a mining town. The lake I learned to swim in was a former tailings pond. A stream leading into it where we hunted frogs as kids was an odd bluish colour. We use to ride our bikes in clay like areas, where absolutely no vegetation grew, we called the cyanide flats (nothing grows there still). The park I played in when a tot had its surface layer removed last year because of metals contamination, - strictly as a precautionary measure you know - as the contaminations were measured at just below hazardous levels, of course. Wonder what those surface level measures were at 60 years ago?

As a student I worked underground in the summer. The mine I worked at, along with others, sprayed an aluminum silicate substance called Macintyre Dust (named after one of the mines there) - thought to be a preventative against Silicosis, a form of mine rock dust related lung cancer. Studies are now ongoing as it seems the Macintyre Dust was itself a carcinogen.

My dad died of cancer as did two of his siblings but they did not drink a lot.

I have had two forms of cancer myself but have been lucky enough to survive.

I'm with the horse on this.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Crumbs Serge. I probably knew this. If it's true, and I have no doubt it is, I'm not long for this world. Trying to cut back but I'm probably a drunk. Not an alcoholic, those people go to meetings. OK, OK. I don't drink everyday but do enjoy some wine, some beer, and a couple of good spirits per week. Hmmm, gonna miss this forum.

Comment

I might have mentioned this before but asbestos wasn't the demon it is now. Victory houses for returning veterans were clad with asbestos shingles and siding.
                              Up to the early '70 grade school art classes used Asbestos powder mixed with water as a clay modeling substitute.

. If Alcohol causes cancer ,a viable view is that your drowning your cells in multiple choices. LOL
                              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X