Collapse

Florida Snowbirds

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Snowbirds

Thinking about this in a few years...to go down in January/return April or May...any tips on how to start the process ? as I do not know anyone in my circle whom does this yet.

Random thoughts...

To rent first few years in different spots in mid-south Florida between Tampa and Ft Lauderdale, to try the different areas of the State...Florida is huge. Maybe buy later on if planning multiple staycations during the year (except for Summer).

Is $ 2,000 usd per month reasonable for a 1 bedroom apartment/condo unit ?

Are there agents/companies in the GTA that can assist looking for accommodations in Florida ?

Health care...is it costly to purchase basic medical insurance in case of emergency or accidents

Given the political uncertainty and the ongoing COVID situation in Florida (among other places), I would advise against making your decisions based on the past. Things have changed and will continue to do so until both of those situations stabilize.

Comment

Originally posted by tywl View Post
      Thinking about this in a few years...to go down in January/return April or May...any tips on how to start the process ? as I do not know anyone in my circle whom does this yet.

Random thoughts...

To rent first few years in different spots in mid-south Florida between Tampa and Ft Lauderdale, to try the different areas of the State...Florida is huge. Maybe buy later on if planning multiple staycations during the year (except for Summer).

Is $ 2,000 usd per month reasonable for a 1 bedroom apartment/condo unit ?

Are there agents/companies in the GTA that can assist looking for accommodations in Florida ?

Health care...is it costly to purchase basic medical insurance in case of emergency or accidents
      As you say, Florida is a big state. In general, the further south you go the better the weather and the higher the cost. You will have to find your happy mix. Maybe you want a nicer place further north or a lesser place further south with more reliable weather. In general the golf is a little more expensive the further south you go as well.

Medical insurance is very dependent on age and health. If you are healthy and under 65 you will probably find it cheap. If you are over 70 and/or have existing health conditions you will find it quite a bit more expensive. Over 80 and it might get a bit prohibitive where self insurance is a reasonable option.

You can find lots of rentals on line - some listings managed by owners, some by local agents. Connect with a few and see what they have to offer.

One final suggestion. If you are going to rent for a while, maybe use the time to try out a few different places. Florida, Mexico, Arizona, California, Carolinas all have lots of great places and each has a few trade-offs. Maybe try a few different ones out while you are deciding?

Comment

I'm not a snowbird, but I spend a fair amount of time down there. Usually a month or so at Christmas and again in March.
        Just returned from better part of 6 weeks, and I can tell you both housing prices and rents are going up dramatically. In the resort we stay in Naples, it went from 45 units for sale 18 months ago to 2 currently. Prices have also gone through the roof. Tons of folks even from the US are moving there for the "freedom" and climate. Also young families flocking there so their kids can continue in school and sports.
        Strongly prefer the gulf side - pretty much dominated by Canadians and Midwest folks.
        Enjoy the sunshine and the golf!
        Driver: yup..5 of those
        3 Wood: 'bout 4
        Hybrid: few..couple of tour issue
        Irons: Too many but AP2 for now
        Wedges: Lots
        Putter: A016836

Comment

For years we were Florida Snowbirds and came to dislike that state a great deal. Florida can best be described as a giant, flat sand bar that sticks out into the Gulf, populated by elderly, blue haired women who can't see over the steering wheel and are always in a hurry not to miss the 5 o'clock buffet. You think I'm kidding. NOT..! Anyway, we put up with this for a few years until someone suggested we try Arizona. OMG, what a difference and all to the positive. The only thing FL has over AZ is water. If you are a water person, then FL is for you. Otherwise, it's AZ hands down and ten times over. And talking about water, you have to think of the hurricanes Florida gets and the number and strength that is only predicted to increase with global warming. And I haven't even mentioned the humidity and the bugs. There is a reason why every home with a pool has a giant screen enveloping the pool area to keep the flying biters away. Sorry to be so negative but just wanting to help you make the right decision. At the very least, make sure to check out Arizona before you decide. Happy hunting.....!
          If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post
            For years we were Florida Snowbirds and came to dislike that state a great deal. Florida can best be described as a giant, flat sand bar that sticks out into the Gulf, populated by elderly, blue haired women who can't see over the steering wheel and are always in a hurry not to miss the 5 o'clock buffet. You think I'm kidding. NOT..! Anyway, we put up with this for a few years until someone suggested we try Arizona. OMG, what a difference and all to the positive. The only thing FL has over AZ is water. If you are a water person, then FL is for you. Otherwise, it's AZ hands down and ten times over. And talking about water, you have to think of the hurricanes Florida gets and the number and strength that is only predicted to increase with global warming. And I haven't even mentioned the humidity and the bugs. There is a reason why every home with a pool has a giant screen enveloping the pool area to keep the flying biters away. Sorry to be so negative but just wanting to help you make the right decision. At the very least, make sure to check out Arizona before you decide. Happy hunting.....!
            Have done both AZ and FL, need to consider:
            -weather in Dec-March
            -time change
            -the travel time, flying or driving
            -rednecks

Hands down FL is the winner

Comment

tywl
              I assume your going down for golf? Check out just outside Daytona beach area - the LPGA is a great practice + 2 course club and the Florida tennis Center is right across the street. Daytona is a tad crusty but it’s coming up and the surrounds are pretty great

Comment

Originally posted by goforbroke View Post

-weather in Dec-March
                -time change
                -the travel time, flying or driving
                -rednecks

The whole US itself is a bunch of rednecks... AZ all day.

Comment

You're entitled to your opinion Balls, but you couldn't be more wrong....!

Originally posted by goforbroke View Post

-weather in Dec-March - Not a factor. I've been here since October and weather impacted golf on one day only!.
                  -time change - DUH..!
                  -the travel time, flying or driving - Flying only way for both and Air Canoe has two 'direct' flights per day, one hour longer!
                  -rednecks - Democrats took AZ in last election. I rest my case...!

If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

What's up with the "redneck" comments?

Great weather, great golf courses, great people.....I love the Americans.

On the west coast, the state of Washington has a great selection of golf courses....cheap too.

Comment

Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post
                      You're entitled to your opinion Balls, but you couldn't be more wrong....!
                      Agree, Phoenix is tough to beat, probably better than any other golf destination in the US other than perhaps Bandon.

January/Feb weather can be warmer in Southern Florida but also can be wetter.

as for Rednecks, have to wonder if the poster even knows the definition.

I've been to Arizona over 20 times and it is more civilized and progressive than most, especially the Phoenix area.

maybe he thinks Mexicans are Rednecks
                      Last edited by Weirfan; Jan 18, 2022, 04:42 PM.
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Just came back from Sarasota, Bradenton area. What piece of heaven. Every garden, mall parking lot, even roadway medians are well manicured and clean.
                        Our friends had rented a 2 bedroom for 3 months. Not sure what they paid but looking at floridarentals.com for next year. Any 2 bedroom we're looking at were getting quoted $21,000 usd and over for Jan-March 2023.

That's a bit rich for me. Maybe Panama City, FL area might be cheaper.
                        Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
                        Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
                          Any 2 bedroom we're looking at were getting quoted $21,000 usd and over for Jan-March 2023.

That's a bit rich for me. Maybe Panama City, FL area might be cheaper.
                          Agreed.

I would be inclined to take my $21K USD and buy a really really nice snowmobile.
                          And, no need for out-of-country health insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Agreed.

I would be inclined to take my $21K USD and buy a really really nice snowmobile.
                            And, no need for out-of-country health insurance.
                            Do you have snow in Orillia yet? The Town has been so busy, all hotels are pretty much full . . . so many snowmobile enthusiast . . . it is awesome. The nice thing now, the restaurant will be able to take full advantage . . .

It seems the last 10 days is a bit more quiet . . . but still busy. March is usually the big month . . .
                            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

Do you have snow in Orillia yet? The Town has been so busy, all hotels are pretty much full . . . so many snowmobile enthusiast . . . it is awesome. The nice thing now, the restaurant will be able to take full advantage . . .

It seems the last 10 days is a bit more quiet . . . but still busy. March is usually the big month . . .
                              Piles of snow in Orillia. Snowmobiles everywhere, including dozens (hundreds?) out on Lake Simcoe, and even a few riding around town.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X