Collapse

The Keg Takeout

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Keg Takeout

Has anybody tried a Keg takeout steak? My thought would be by the time you pick it up and get it home (15 mins) it’s gonna be a) cold or b) overcooked.
    Any experiences?
    EMTEE
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

"It makes you realize that you're not only playing for the guys in the room with you now,
    but the guys who have been there before."
    (Jonathan Toews)

Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 913F 15*
    Titleist 913H 19*
    Titleist 910H 21*

Bridgestone J36 PC 5-PW Project X 5.0
    Titleist Vokey 52°-08- 56°-06, 60°-08
    Betti BB1

No but based on other things I have ordered (burgers for instance, it is not nearly as good as getting it hot at the restaurant). I can't see spending Keg prices and getting a very ordinary meal. Buy a good steak and cook it on a fry pan.
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
      No but based on other things I have ordered (burgers for instance, it is not nearly as good as getting it hot at the restaurant). I can't see spending Keg prices and getting a very ordinary meal. Buy a good steak and cook it on a fry pan.
      I know! I usually do it myself on charcoal bbq. For some reason the family is considering this instead.
      Maybe they’re trying to tell me f something.
      EMTEE
      __________________________________________________ ____________________________

"It makes you realize that you're not only playing for the guys in the room with you now,
      but the guys who have been there before."
      (Jonathan Toews)

Titleist 910D3 9.5
      Titleist 913F 15*
      Titleist 913H 19*
      Titleist 910H 21*

Bridgestone J36 PC 5-PW Project X 5.0
      Titleist Vokey 52°-08- 56°-06, 60°-08
      Betti BB1

Comment

Originally posted by Emtee View Post

I know! I usually do it myself on charcoal bbq. For some reason the family is considering this instead.
        Maybe they want the keg steak spice?!

Comment

Originally posted by Emtee View Post

Have not been to the Keg in a few years now, too many high priced disappointments.

The internet can be your friend, even though it can be scary risking an expensive steaks to hands of an amateur.

I have given a try through some website, so far so good no complete disasters,
          well at least the dog agrees with that. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7XsUtuiAzM
          plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

I think you are correct regarding the state the food will be by time you get home.

A lot will depend how far the resto is from your house. thankfully I have a number of them within 5 minutes and always arrive early to make sure it doesn't sit.

obviously some foods will arrive better than others.....don't order fries unless you like soggy chips.

for a steak I suppose you could order it one grade rare then pop it under the broiler for a minute ?

i didnt realize until recently Keg was doing take out, ours was completely closed during much of the early lockdowns....but I have ordered twice baked potatoes a couple times to go with dinners. Got a couple extra last time and froze them. $3 each is decent.

Comment

Typically, the good people on the InterWeb will end up telling you to raise and slaugther your own cattle

But in this case, I'd say just order whatever and then put it under the oven to reheat it a little.

Comment

[QUOTE=4underthru9;n3491222]

Have not been to the Keg in a few years now, too many high priced disappointments.

I don't go to the Keg often for dinner , sometimes before a Leaf game but otherwise maybe twice a year then a few more times to have a glass of wine and appetizers on the patio.

What I have found though is there can be variability between locations. For example the Keg in Aurora has always been great, the one in Newmarket not so.....but I suppose that is the case with any chain, there will be good and bad.

I do agree that there is equal or better food for the money to be found elsewhere.

I rarely if ever eat steak away from home because it cannot compare. I've been to Quinns, Mortons, Bardis, never as good as home. Michaels was actually great !

Comment

My wife just walked in the room and on hearing this suggests you come to the restaurant armed with cutlery and a bib, and eat it in the parking lot. Problem solved.

Comment

The Keg twice baked potatoes are great. You really only want to go out to dinner for the out to dinner experience, otherwise why bother with take out from a place that is usually only dine in. McD's can be dine in or take out. Pizza, dine in or take out. For these it really doesn't make any difference. If you want steak or seafood and don't care about the dine in, it is way cheaper to do your own.

If you had to order Keg steaks to go, order them rare and finish them off at home on the bbq or under the grill.

Comment

My sister has been to The Keg for takeout several times and was very happy with it.

Apparently they're very good at packaging the meals so that they stay warm and present well when opened.

It's worth a try.

Speaking for myself, in 35 years, I've never had a bad meal at The Keg.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Speaking for myself, in 35 years, I've never had a bad meal at The Keg.
                        Me neither. It's never the best steak I've ever had, but it's always consistent.
                        We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                        Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                        Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                        Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                        Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                        Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                        Srixon Star XV
                        Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

Me neither. It's never the best steak I've ever had, but it's always consistent.
                          My experience as well. I've eaten in many across the country and agree, not the best, very good, but always consistent in terms of quality, accuracy of how it is cooked and always comes piping hot.
                          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I have done The Keg take out the New York, mash and a Caesar Salad. I was very happy when I got home and ate it. Picked it up at the Keg in Aurora and I live at Bathurst and Teston. At least a 20 min drive.
                            would definitely do it again.

That said I love steak. I buy 42 day aged Angus NY strips from the butcher to cook at home on the bbq cooked to medium rare.

I know The Keg steaks aren’t the best you can get but the flavour, the garlic mash and the Caesar make a delicious meal I can’t replicate at home.

I say go for the take out it is a nice change!
                            Titleist 910D2 8.5
                            Titleist 975F 12.5-16.5-20.5
                            Mizuno TZoid Comp EZ 5-PW by Modern Golf
                            Scratch 1018 DS 49, 53, 57 by Modern Golf
                            Sunset Beach Ocean Isle LN 354g - gamer
                            Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
                            Scotty Cameron Original Futura
                            Palombi 389 7of8 350g
                            C&L 350 Milled CL1 357g

Comment

My all-time bar-none favourite dessert is plain cheesecake from The Keg.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X